Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Paper Weight No More

G'day All,
The transformer for my Dewalt Scroll Saw arrived the other day. All is
set up and working like a wonder.
While cutting merrily away on it, I was thinking "I should have bought
this machine first, it's smooth, accurate and easy to use".
But than............ a FLASH., If I had not bought the cheapies I
wouldn't appreciate the new nearly as much.
No1 was a Ryobi. I enjoyed the machine because of the work I was able to
do with it. Modified it by putting clamps on the arms that enabled the
use of pinnless blades. For about $100 It was a good little machine.
No2 was a Delta variable speed with quick release clamps. It was a joy
to use and left the Ryobi for dead. At about $280.00 it was good value
for money and if I could get hold of parts I would probably still be
using it. After about 5 years and a lot work, a lot of repairs it just
became to sloppy.
No3. The Dewalt A whole new world.
The moral of the story is, If you just go for top end, you will never
really appreciate just how good you've got it.
I don't reckon I've wasted any cash on machines as each gave all it had
and more and where well worth the readies spent on them.

Regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

I went thru the same kind of scroll saw experience. A
Dremel, a Delta two speed and now the DeWalt. A DeWalt
with the DeWalt stand on a HTC mobile base. Great
combo!

Now, if I can just figure out how to direct the sawdust
to someplace other than in my lap. :-)

John Flatley
--

"John B" wrote in
message
| G'day All,
| The transformer for my Dewalt Scroll Saw arrived the
other day. All is
| set up and working like a wonder.
| While cutting merrily away on it, I was thinking "I
should have bought
| this machine first, it's smooth, accurate and easy to
use".
| But than............ a FLASH., If I had not bought
the cheapies I
| wouldn't appreciate the new nearly as much.
| No1 was a Ryobi. I enjoyed the machine because of the
work I was able to
| do with it. Modified it by putting clamps on the arms
that enabled the
| use of pinnless blades. For about $100 It was a good
little machine.
| No2 was a Delta variable speed with quick release
clamps. It was a joy
| to use and left the Ryobi for dead. At about $280.00
it was good value
| for money and if I could get hold of parts I would
probably still be
| using it. After about 5 years and a lot work, a lot
of repairs it just
| became to sloppy.
| No3. The Dewalt A whole new world.
| The moral of the story is, If you just go for top
end, you will never
| really appreciate just how good you've got it.
| I don't reckon I've wasted any cash on machines as
each gave all it had
| and more and where well worth the readies spent on
them.

| Regards
| John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Flatley" wrote in
news
*snip*

Now, if I can just figure out how to direct the sawdust
to someplace other than in my lap. :-)

John Flatley

Decoy pants off to the side, perhaps?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:51:40 -0400, "John Flatley"
wrote:

I went thru the same kind of scroll saw experience. A
Dremel, a Delta two speed and now the DeWalt. A DeWalt
with the DeWalt stand on a HTC mobile base. Great
combo!

Now, if I can just figure out how to direct the sawdust
to someplace other than in my lap. :-)

I have a cheap denim apron for just such situations.

-Leuf