Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I need some HELP ! ! !

Guys,

I am starting my first project. I am very familiar with tools for
building but I'm doing my first nice piece. I have Cherry, Black
Walnut, and some Curly Maple. I need to know what kind (what number of
teeth) of saw blade I should use to cut this stuff.

I need to rip theses 6" boards into 2 3/4 wide boards. I have been
looking at a lot of tools and could use the help of someone more
experienced than me. I would like to eventually work my way up to nice
furniture.

If you can help shoot me an email at or post the
help on in the group.

I will take all the help anyone can give.

Thanks to all ! ! ! !

Posted to rec.woodworking

chris wrote:
I need to rip theses 6" boards into 2 3/4 wide boards. I have been
looking at a lot of tools and could use the help of someone more
experienced than me.

For that you'll want a dedicated rip-saw. I recommend the Extrema
XG-12 series.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

chris wrote:
snip

The first tool you'll want to look into is a table saw (TS). This will
allow you to rip your boards and do all sorts of other things once you
gain experience. Buy the best you can afford.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
chris wrote:
I need to rip theses 6" boards into 2 3/4 wide boards. I have been
looking at a lot of tools and could use the help of someone more
experienced than me.

For that you'll want a dedicated rip-saw. I recommend the Extrema
XG-12 series.

What a piece of crap!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Sep 2006 17:54:59 -0700, "chris" wrote:

Guys,

I am starting my first project. I am very familiar with tools for
building but I'm doing my first nice piece. I have Cherry, Black
Walnut, and some Curly Maple. I need to know what kind (what number of
teeth) of saw blade I should use to cut this stuff.

I need to rip theses 6" boards into 2 3/4 wide boards. I have been
looking at a lot of tools and could use the help of someone more
experienced than me. I would like to eventually work my way up to nice
furniture.

I'm assuming you have a 10" table saw. A good combination blade is
all you need, it will have 40-50 teeth. A dedicated ripping blade
would have 24-30 teeth and would cut faster but not better.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

Chris,

I agree with leuf and Jay. The right tool for the job is a table saw
equipped with a combination blade.

However, You question raises some flags....

I am starting my first project. I am very familiar with tools for
building but I'm doing my first nice piece.

I'm unclear what that "building" means in this context.... framing?

I have Cherry, Black
Walnut, and some Curly Maple.

Save the nice woods for a later project. Woodworking skills are
*evolutionary*; your first project will have some aspects with which you
will not be happy. By project 2 or 3 you will figure out how to
solve/prevent/fix those problems.

If the solution is not apparent, ask here; we'll help.

Start simple, start in pine (cheap materials).

I need to know what kind (what number of
teeth) of saw blade I should use to cut this stuff.

I need to rip theses 6" boards into 2 3/4 wide boards. I have been
looking at a lot of tools and could use the help of someone more
experienced than me. I would like to eventually work my way up to nice
furniture.

You have come to the right place. This is what we do.

If you can help shoot me an email at or post the
help on in the group.

Is is generally considered better ettiquette to respond here so that other
folks can benefit from the discussussion.

I will take all the help anyone can give.

Hint: really well formed questions (context and specifics) will generate the
most meaningful answers, and Google is you friend.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've been trying to find the answer to a similar question - but for a
jigsaw. I have a nice Dewalt Jigsaw, and have never had a problem on
less dense hardwoods, but I find I'm burning through blades cutting a
cherry 1x with some curves. Suggestions?

thanks,
Rich

C&S wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick,

Slow the cutting speed and use a blade with a heavier tooth set. Cherry is
one of the hard woods that burns very easily from blade friction. Let the
saw do the work. Don't rush it by trying to cut too fast. A little paraffin
wax frequently rubbed on the sides of the blade will help too.

--
Charley

oups.com...

C&S wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote:

I'm assuming you have a 10" table saw. A good combination blade is
all you need, it will have 40-50 teeth. A dedicated ripping blade
would have 24-30 teeth and would cut faster but not better.

I'll second that. I recently picked up one of the Rigid combination
blades (10" x 50T) from Home Depot. I don't remember the exact price
but seems like it was in the $40 ball park (might have been on sale).
But it's been cutting very nicely--especially for the price.

Here's more info about the blade:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Combination-Saw-Blade/