Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Free PT wood, or skip?

Hi all...first post here. I'm just starting out in woodworking, bought
some tools, built my first workbench couple of days ago (somewhat
badly), and I'm looking towards my next project.

Now, I was told yesterday that my girlfriend's father's girlfriend
(yeah, I know) has some leftover PT lumber from her newly-built deck.

From what I've been reading about PT lumber, the stuff that the treat

it with is nasty stuff, even after the 2003 change from arsenic-based
stuff to whatever they're using now.

So my question to the group is, do I offer to take this wood and use it
to build outdoor furniture & items, or am I better off skipping on it
and going towards untreated cedar or others?

Thanks!
-Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan W." wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all...first post here. I'm just starting out in woodworking, bought
some tools, built my first workbench couple of days ago (somewhat
badly), and I'm looking towards my next project.

Now, I was told yesterday that my girlfriend's father's girlfriend
(yeah, I know) has some leftover PT lumber from her newly-built deck.

From what I've been reading about PT lumber, the stuff that the treat

it with is nasty stuff, even after the 2003 change from arsenic-based
stuff to whatever they're using now.

So my question to the group is, do I offer to take this wood and use it
to build outdoor furniture & items, or am I better off skipping on it
and going towards untreated cedar or others?

Thanks!
-Dan

Depends on the dimensions.. if it is cut off and scrap, I would skip it. If
it is good size, (4' or longer), I would certainly take it. Never know when
you might need some for an exterior project...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Sep 2006 08:31:26 -0700, "Dan W." wrote:

Hi all...first post here. I'm just starting out in woodworking, bought
some tools, built my first workbench couple of days ago (somewhat
badly), and I'm looking towards my next project.

Now, I was told yesterday that my girlfriend's father's girlfriend
(yeah, I know) has some leftover PT lumber from her newly-built deck.

From what I've been reading about PT lumber, the stuff that the treat

it with is nasty stuff, even after the 2003 change from arsenic-based
stuff to whatever they're using now.

So my question to the group is, do I offer to take this wood and use it
to build outdoor furniture & items, or am I better off skipping on it
and going towards untreated cedar or others?

I'd take it. First of all, you're just starting out- so free wood is
the best wood. If you make a mistake, you didn't just wreck a $30
piece of cedar. Second, PT wood is just fine for outdoor furniture- I
made a park bench a while back and used 4x4 treated posts for the
legs. Took glue, machining, lamination, carving and mortising just
fine, and made a nice finished bench. Just let completed pieces sit
for a good long time (six months or better) before painting or
staining. They can do that sitting outside, no problem. I'd leave
the PT wood out of areas that you'll be sitting on or setting food on,
but it's fine for the main support structure. And third, it makes
great planter boxes, edging for gardens or patios, and shims.

Just don't leave it in contact with exposed skin for long periods of
time, and wear a paper mask or respirator when cutting or sanding if
you don't have adequate ventilation.