Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

Default Grizzly Jointer

I'll answer in line below.

First off - Thanks Bob for replying to the people who have replied to
your post.

Bob Moos wrote:
I'm in the market for a jointer. I've been looking around at
different ones, and I think I'd like to get one from Grizzly. From
what I've read here on the wreck, it sounds like Grizzly makes
pretty good stuff. I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone that's
familar with the particulars I've outlined below. I do plan to
ultimately call Grizzly about some of these questions. But I'd
like to hear opinions, comments and any tips from folks that aren't
receiving a paycheck from Grizzly.

I do not have their jointer but I do have their table saw and some other
big stuff. A similar jointer is available at Yorkcraft
Try these links
http://www.wilkebargaincorner.com/especial6J.html
http://wilkemachinery.com/default.tp...skudatarq=2339

o) I've got it narrowed down to two of Grizzly's 6" models. I
originally thought about one of the 8" models, but it would take
up too much space in my shop. Plus I already have a 12" planer,
so this jointer will mostly be used for edge jointing, making rabbets
and perhaps to face plane boards that are less that 6". In particular,
I'm interested in the G1182ZHW[1] and the G1182ZXHW[2]. These two
models can also been seen side-by-side on pages 32 and 33 of Grizzly's
2006 catalog. As best as I can tell, the two are identical, except
for price and the G1182ZXHW having a magnetic switch. Can anyone
verify that for me? And what is the benefit of a magenetic switch?

mag switch will turn itself off if you loose power or trip breaker.

o) From everything I've read here on the wreck and through other
sources, it sounds like replacing the knives on a jointer is a
tedious and fiddly job and one I would prefer to avoid.

maybe - I have done it 2x so far. I probably go longer between
sharpenings than I should because of the fussyness. Its not really that
bad though.

Both
of the aforementioned models can be adapted with an optional feature
called Dispoz-A-Blade[3]. I get that once this system is installed
future knife changes are a simple affair (and relatively inexpensive
at about $18). What I'm not clear on though is the installation
of the blade holders themselves. Do those just bolt in or do they
have to be fiddled with and adjusted (the first time) to get them
properly lined up? Any idea if I can get them installed right from
the git-go at the factory?

not sure about dispozablade. The Cadillac solution is a spriral head
cutter. It solves your blade change concerns and gives the nicest cut
possible. See http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/36
(I'm NOT talking about the H7590, I'm referring to H7764 Byrd Shelix)

o) I don't live anywhere near one of Grizzly's warehouses, so
I'll have to pay the $135 for truck freight. Other than appliances
and furniture bought at local retail stores, I've never purchased
anything this big. With the appliances and furniture, the drivers
brought eveyrhing into the house, but that doesn't sound like what'll
happen when the jointer arrives. From looking at Grizzly's policy
about truck freight[4] they talk about how the driver making the
delivery won't necessarily unload it. They make this suggestion
though:

We recommend that you make arrangements with the trucking
company to take delivery at the freight terminal if you can.
They will load it on your vehicle.

That sounds like it would be the way to go for me. Has anyone had
experience doing this?

yes. They will use a forklift and put it into the back of a pickup for
you. They wont likely put it on top of your VW rabbit or load it in your
wife's minivan.

If they deliver it to your house they will NOT, by default, lift it off
the back of the truck. You need a loading dock. The carrier can come
with a liftgate truck but this is usually an extra charge between you
and the trucking company.

Is this something that I can count on being the
case or does this vary from one trucking company to another?

It may vary. Also, the truck terminal could be pretty far away. (The two
times I have done this one was 15 mins away, the other was 45 mins away.)

Thanks for any light you can shed on these questions!

[1]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1182ZHW
[2]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1182ZXHW
[3]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G6660
[4]: http://www.grizzly.com/fobcopy.aspx

Good luck and have fun

Grizzly Jointer Mike Dembroge Woodworking 1 September 8th 06 05:36 PM
Grizzly Jointer bf Woodworking 1 September 8th 06 05:09 PM
Worked on my grizzly jointer JohnT. Woodworking 1 April 25th 04 12:44 AM
Grizzly 6" Jointer Experience Pradeep Gupta Woodworking 22 March 28th 04 07:59 PM
A Few Notes on My New Grizzly G1018HW 8" jointer Darrell Woodworking 5 March 5th 04 12:19 AM