Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ammonia fume wood with an existing oil finish?

Hello All:

Today I took out a bunch of oak furniture that I built years ago for a
new coat of oil finish. Getting it out in the sunlight I was surprised
by how yellow it looks now (its about 9 years old). Almost looks like
someone applied Golden Oak stain which I do not like so much.

The wood is quartersawn oak with several coats of oil applied originally
and a recent coat of Tried and True Varnish Oil.

Would I have any luck trying to fume it now? My impression is that oil
finish penetrates the wood so it might not let the ammonia work. On the
other hand, ammonia is pretty potent stuff so it might penetrate the
through the oil. Yes, I could test a scrap but I thought I'd post this
question before I go shopping for ammonia, protective gear, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jim