Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ammonia fume wood with an existing oil finish?

Jim Martin wrote:
Hello All:

SNIP

Would I have any luck trying to fume it now? My impression is that oil
finish penetrates the wood so it might not let the ammonia work. On the
other hand, ammonia is pretty potent stuff so it might penetrate the
through the oil. Yes, I could test a scrap but I thought I'd post this
question before I go shopping for ammonia, protective gear, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I don't think you will get what you want by fuming. Fuming works best
on raw, unfinished wood untouched by anything else. Since the wood has
been sealed before, I think at best you would have a blotchy finish
since you would never get all the remnants of the sealer off the wood.

I think you would be better served by getting some different stains in
the family of coloring you want and then mix and test until you get the
right color. If you are not stripping and are concerned about blotchy
finishing with the pigment stains, try using some of the better gels.

Robert