Posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.woodworking

Default Fractional Caliper

Bob Lee wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

Some ww'ing mag did a review of fractional dial calipers recently. Can
anyone tell me what magazine? Thanks.

I refuse to respond to this obvious troll.

Google's ****ing me again, thus displaying my lack of erudition,
demonstrable incompetence and reaffirming my status as keeper of The
Chiminego.

JP
*******************************
Inanimate my ass. ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

Some ww'ing mag did a review of fractional dial calipers recently. Can
anyone tell me what magazine? Thanks.

I refuse to respond to this obvious troll.

Google's ****ing me again, thus displaying my lack of erudition,
demonstrable incompetence and reaffirming my status as keeper of The
Chiminego.

JP
*******************************
Inanimate my ass. ; )

Sweet Jesus what in THE hell is going on here. Somehow my original
post got cross-posted to rec.skiing.alpine and here. I hang out on
r.s.a. a lot and brought up an old, inside joke in response to Bob.
(An old (ancient, actually) friend.) Hope I haven't offended.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09/09/2006 5:09 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

Some ww'ing mag did a review of fractional dial calipers recently. Can
anyone tell me what magazine? Thanks.
I refuse to respond to this obvious troll.

Google's ****ing me again, thus displaying my lack of erudition,
demonstrable incompetence and reaffirming my status as keeper of The
Chiminego.

JP
*******************************
Inanimate my ass. ; )

Sweet Jesus what in THE hell is going on here. Somehow my original
post got cross-posted to rec.skiing.alpine and here. I hang out on
r.s.a. a lot and brought up an old, inside joke in response to Bob.
(An old (ancient, actually) friend.) Hope I haven't offended.

I'm not quite following all the weird replies here, but in case the
original question was legit and remains unanswered, Woodworking Magazine
Spring 2006 reviewed fractional dial calipers. They liked the one from
Hardwicks best, followed by Avenger. "Not recommended" were Starrett,
Lee Valley, and General. The first 2 of those seem counter-intuitive to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I have no experience with the Lee Valley calipers so couldn't say but, as
for the Starrett, I wouldn't recommend any of their dial calipers. Contrary
to popular belief, Starrett does not do all tools well. They are just like
any other manufacturer. Some good, some bad.

"Doug Payne" wrote in message
"Not recommended" were Starrett,
Lee Valley, and General. The first 2 of those seem counter-intuitive to

me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Payne wrote:
I'm not quite following all the weird replies here, but in case the
original question was legit and remains unanswered, Woodworking Magazine
Spring 2006 reviewed fractional dial calipers. They liked the one from
Hardwicks best, followed by Avenger. "Not recommended" were Starrett,
Lee Valley, and General. The first 2 of those seem counter-intuitive to me.

Apologies for the weirdness. That's the article I was looking for.
Can't seem to find the magazine, but you've given me the info I was
looking for. Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

Apologies for the weirdness. That's the article I was looking for.
Can't seem to find the magazine, but you've given me the info I was
looking for. Thanks.

After reading that article, I went with a Shop Fox. Only draw back is size,
which, IIRC, I believe the Hardwick solves. If I am not mistaken, both had
the same face and graduations.

I do like the Shop Fox very much as it is a fine, well made instrument, with
the exception that it is not suitable for apron pocket use.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

Apologies for the weirdness. That's the article I was looking for.
Can't seem to find the magazine, but you've given me the info I was
looking for. Thanks.

After reading that article, I went with a Shop Fox. Only draw back is size,
which, IIRC, I believe the Hardwick solves. If I am not mistaken, both had
the same face and graduations.

I do like the Shop Fox very much as it is a fine, well made instrument, with
the exception that it is not suitable for apron pocket use.

I just ordered the smaller one from Hardwicks, as I really like the
idea of keeping it in my apron.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Could be. Never heard anything bad about Lee Valley.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:13:16 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I have no experience with the Lee Valley calipers so couldn't say but, as
for the Starrett, I wouldn't recommend any of their dial calipers.

I'm extremely happy with my copy of the Lee Valley version.

Maybe they got a bad example?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/09/2006 10:13 AM, CW wrote:

I have no experience with the Lee Valley calipers so couldn't say but, as
for the Starrett, I wouldn't recommend any of their dial calipers. Contrary
to popular belief, Starrett does not do all tools well. They are just like
any other manufacturer. Some good, some bad.

Specific complaints about the LV were that the dial is only calibrated
every 1/8" and that it was a bit too expensive. Since the price they
mention looks like the Canadian one, I suspect they screwed up and that
it's a bit better deal in US$, which is what I assume the others were.
The Starrett thumb-wheel didn't grip easily, it was made in China, the
dial markings were "coarse", and the beam was only marked in decimals,
and it was way too expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I can bout guarantee that the Lee Valley calipers were made in China. As
for the Starrett, this doesn't surprise me in the least.