Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Looking for Real Furniture"

HI all-

I posted asking about a baby crib that wasn't pressboard, made by
indonesian monkey children and/or stapled together with a Swingline.

thanks for all your responses.

We ended up with a set of furniture from a company called Child Craft
Industries. I cannot discover if our set was made in US, but acording
to their website, they manufacture the majority of their furniture in
indiana

Its... nice.

real wood, real joinery, competently finished. It's like what I would
build if someone turned me loose on a tablesaw and a pile of pine
boards. not art, but not bad.

bookcase, drawer, dresser and crib.

All the drawers are dovetailed out of .5in A ply with a .5in pineboard
front and finish sanded, all the flat joints are tenoned in, the
railings doweled in. the fit is good, the molding details from the
board and not tacked on. the shelves were finished on all sides, the
panels in the door real panels- the drawer bottoms and piece backs are
1/8 lauan, etc.

the staining is even and well finished.

it has metal sliders for the drawers, which i'm not crazy about, but
eh.

the recessed hinges on the dresser doors could do for a tank hatch,
crikey.

the only really cheesy part about it are these dinky brown plastic
shelf supports.

and what's that smell? how about that- they finished it with linseed
oil. crazy.

about $2k.

not sure exactly why i'm posting this, except to say thanks for the
tips and share my experiences

carl