Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How I made the TV cabinet 2" higher

A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to move
the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I discovered
why it goes the other way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to move
the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I discovered
why it goes the other way.

Nice save! Did you have to pass the end grain edge over the jointer before
jointing or are all of the adjoining edges straight off the saw?

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" [email protected] wrote in message
m...

"Toller" wrote in message
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for
the cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to
make it 2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look
reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to
move the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I
discovered why it goes the other way.

Nice save! Did you have to pass the end grain edge over the jointer
before jointing or are all of the adjoining edges straight off the saw?

Thanks.
The walnut came right off my new WWII like glass.
The butternut was cut with a circular saw and was really ragged. Cleaned up
nicely with a top guided router.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions
for the cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted
me to make it 2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look
reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it
saved wood and gave me a new challenge.

Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to
move the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I
discovered why it goes the other way.

I still say the walnut grain should have gone in the opposite direction of
the butternut,but it does look ok.

The main thing is...does the client like it?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

I still say the walnut grain should have gone in the opposite direction of
the butternut,but it does look ok.

It would crack. Think cross grain situation.

The main thing is...does the client like it?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to move
the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I discovered
why it goes the other way.

As someone who has faltered often and improvised various solutions, I can
relate. You did good.

Remember the mantra. It ain't a mistake, it is a design feature.

Some of my rural family would probably refer to it as a racing stripe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 02:42:41 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

.... snip

Looks good; the contrast is pleasing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I still say the walnut grain should have gone in the opposite direction of
the butternut,but it does look ok.

The main thing is...does the client like it?

Who cares? *I* like it. Very nice save.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

Looks great! Nice job.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Remember the mantra. It ain't a mistake, it is a design feature.

thanks.
I am thinking of making a couple walnut accessories so it will actually look
like a design feature. Maybe a walnut bowl with one butternut strip. Is
that possible, or is the difference in hardness to extreme? (I am taking a
bowl making class next week...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[snip]
-A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.

Spoken like a true musician *G* (This ain't no wrong chord, it's an
interlude!")
Software writers can do that too. (This ain't no bug, it's a feature.)
Abstract art is like that too. (That eyeball looks kinda neat hanging
from her nose like that.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

Nice save, Toller. Looks great.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:
[snip]
-A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.

Spoken like a true musician *G* (This ain't no wrong chord, it's an
interlude!")

or Jazz ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Toller wrote:
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions
for the cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She
wanted me to make it 2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

Nice save, Toller. Looks great.

No praise for the inspirational then. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 02:42:41 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger.

Nice punt.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

No praise for the inspirational then. ;-)

Praise to a lot of people then, Sir.

Praise to Toller for having enough faith in this group to ask for the
assist in the first place.
Praise to the many that offered solutions.
Praise to Toller for picking the best solution and executing it
flawlessly
Praise to you, Sir.
Praise to me, for what I don't know, but I will think of something
....oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House Blend
with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr grinder
on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3 minutes in a
french press.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote...
I am thinking of making a couple walnut accessories so it will actually

look
like a design feature. Maybe a walnut bowl with one butternut strip. Is
that possible, or is the difference in hardness to extreme? (I am taking a
bowl making class next week...)

Looks great! A walnut & butternut bowl would work fine, and be a sharp
looking accessory atop the cabinet.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

That's awesome. Claim you did it on purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller"
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved
wood and gave me a new challenge.

Nice save, as long as the customer likes and more importantly, pays you for
it!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:26:57 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Remember the mantra. It ain't a mistake, it is a design feature.

thanks.
I am thinking of making a couple walnut accessories so it will actually look
like a design feature. Maybe a walnut bowl with one butternut strip. Is
that possible, or is the difference in hardness to extreme? (I am taking a
bowl making class next week...)

A laminated vase would look pretty cool....

Is there a strip of walnut at the top of the back piece, or is that shadow in
the picture?

Great save of a really nice cabinet job..
I hope the client paid well for the design change...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Sep 2006 06:11:01 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

Swingman wrote:
[snip]
-A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.

Spoken like a true musician *G* (This ain't no wrong chord, it's an
interlude!")
Software writers can do that too. (This ain't no bug, it's a feature.)
Abstract art is like that too. (That eyeball looks kinda neat hanging
from her nose like that.)

"I broke this bowl in half on purpose to make these too pooper scoopers"

IMHO, cats are the masters of the "I meant to do that" look after falling on
their ass trying to jump up or something... they never admit mistakes.. lol

My cat will fall asleep on the shop stool and roll off... just lays on the floor
casually licking his fur like it's his normal "dismount"..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 02:42:41 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

snipped for evil purposes
She wanted me to make it 2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

yeah, they always want a few more inches... story of my life.. *sigh*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House
Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr
grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3
minutes in a french press.

Anyone ever tell you that coffee is killed if the water reaches boiling
point?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House
Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr
grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3
minutes in a french press.

I have two (2) requirements for my coffee:

Hot & Black!

Notice that "fresh" was not includedgrin.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House
Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr
grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3
minutes in a french press.

Anyone ever tell you that coffee is killed if the water reaches boiling
point?

That is why percolaters suck.

200 F degrees... not 212...F........ (All Tim Horton machines are
calibrated at 190F.
By the time the water leaves the kettle.. it's...190-ish. (That's about
95C for all you metric folk.)

There is no such thing as 200 C water at atmospheric pressure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Robatoy wrote:
...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House
Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr
grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3
minutes in a french press.

Anyone ever tell you that coffee is killed if the water reaches boiling
point?

How do you kill something that isn't alive?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote: ...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee.
(Costco House
Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr
grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3
minutes in a french press.

Good Lord man! Never take coffee to seriously!

"Lew Hodgett"
I have two (2) requirements for my coffee:

Hot & Black!

Notice that "fresh" was not includedgrin.

Lew

I agree Lew - I could care less about special beans care for by Juan Valdez,
hand carried by a 12 year old virgin, dried in the sun, flow in by a carrier
pigeon and had placed in a autoclaved mayonnaise jar, hermetically sealed
and ground by a special $400 burr grinder.

Just toss the grounds in a pot, heat, stir, strain and serve. No milk,
cream, or sugar- nothing just hot and black!

I may be a self described tool snob, but a coffee snob - never. Say, do
they must sell coffee at Harbor Freight

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:

Say, do
they must sell coffee at Harbor Freight

Probably not, but bet you can get a coffee grinder.

At least something that looks like a coffee grinder

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
Robatoy wrote: ...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee.

[snip]

Good Lord man! Never take coffee to seriously!

I make a single serving of coffee with the same speed as instant.
I grind the COSTCO beans whilst the water is heating. I buy only the
finest grade of medical helium for my plasma burner so not to
contamnate the berillium kettle.(The rpm of the burr grinder closely
monitored and plotted on a graph.)
Put the grinds in the french press, add water and whilst steeping (3
minutes)
I bring out my Wild Heerbrug stereo microscope and inspect and sort the
beans for the next mug of coffee. When the triple beam scales tip, I
have enough.
I take off my coffee making uniform, and leave the clean-room with a
perfect mug.
Waddaya mean I take it too seriously?

I may be a self described tool snob, but a coffee snob - never. Say, do
they must sell coffee at Harbor Freight

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

Damn, I thought the coffee at McDonalds was pretty good till I saw this!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Sep 2006 08:32:53 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

No praise for the inspirational then. ;-)

Praise to a lot of people then, Sir.

Praise to Toller for having enough faith in this group to ask for the
assist in the first place.
Praise to the many that offered solutions.
Praise to Toller for picking the best solution and executing it
flawlessly
Praise to you, Sir.
Praise to me, for what I don't know, but I will think of something
...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House Blend
with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr grinder
on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3 minutes in a
french press.

Throw in a few shavings and a bit of hardwood dust and you have a cup of coffee
there!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:53:20 -0700, "Teamcasa" wrote:

Robatoy wrote: ...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee.
(Costco House
Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr
grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3
minutes in a french press.

Good Lord man! Never take coffee to seriously!

No ****...

I remember the first and last time I was in a StarBUCKS... and asked for a cup
of "coffee"..

After 10 minutes of choices, I suffered through the "house blend" for about the
price of a big red can of real coffee and never went back...

OTOH, I do get pretty picky about tequila, so I shouldn't be throwing stones...
or wood scraps, to slip back towards topic a little.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the
cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it
2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

Cool! What color you gonna paint it?
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

That's one of the big selling points of all the "stuff" the sell to go in
it. Their coffee is so bad that you have to cover up the taste with
something.