Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? #131

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

766 fire alarm or door closer from an old warehouse. The grey goo is
Woods metal, a low melting point alloy. When it gets hot it melts, the
two parts come apart and the wire door retainer they were part of
breaks and lets the door swing closed.

The complex shape is because these low melting point alloys are soft
and prone to creep, if used as a simple tension or shear link. The
shape used here puts the alloy in simple compression over most of it,
but there's still enough space to let it separate cleanly when melted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From rec.woodworking:

#762: Dunno
#763: Dunno
#764: Baseball bat
#765: Looks like a carburetor adjusting tool.
#766: Dunno
#767: I'd say there is a recess or hole over the top of the tee.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From rec.woodworking:

#762: Dunno

#763: Dunno

A leveling jack of some sort - 2 x quick release / set levers, cross bar
through bolt head to fine adjust.

#764: Baseball bat

#765: Looks like a carburetor adjusting tool.

#766: Dunno

Fire alarm or door closer from an old warehouse. (dingbat)

#767: I'd say there is a recess or hole over the top of the tee.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

765 is an old points adjusting tool for GM vehicles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

767 ... maybee the golf tee was steambathed. at some high temperature wood
can be bent.
http://www.kleinurl.de/?6tafllp3

greetings from germany
Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

765 is an old points adjusting tool for GM vehicles.

I was hoping someone else knew. I still have one (KD) along with a ton of
other special tools!
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
PY PY is offline

I'll guess that there is a space that has been drilled out in the hole in
which the tee sits - as though the hole was first drilled at a 45 degree
angle, and rotated until it was verticle (in-line with the original hole).
The space is hidden by the tee when the tee is in position.

"Christian Stüben" wrote in message
767 ... maybee the golf tee was steambathed. at some high temperature wood
can be bent.
http://www.kleinurl.de/?6tafllp3

greetings from germany
Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

My guesses:

762. Parallel pipe/rod coupler?
763. Quick release jack stand?
764. (Hard to tell without the scale) Tip of a hollowed out baseball bat
(I've never seen one)?
765. Carburetor and distributor points adjusting tool (verified with Google
search).
766. Object used to connect cables or chains, but keep them electrically
isolated?
767. The wood was steamed or soaked in water, compressed, the tee inserted,
then the wood expanded (I've made items like this one).

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:41:47 -0700, "Carl G."
wrote:

762. Parallel pipe/rod coupler?

It's intriguing, isn't it? It's clearly designed to clamp two round, or
roundish, things. If it held them at an angle I'd say it was some sort
of picture frame maker or something. But it holds these things parallel
- and fairly precisely.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though may not remain so for ever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

765 is an old points adjusting tool for GM vehicles.

I was hoping someone else knew. I still have one (KD) along with a ton of
other special tools!

KD tools.. the expensive ones that GM sends you every year. ;~)
Points dwell adjustment tool for the GM caps with the window. The 4 and 6
bangers had to have the cap off with a screwdriver in the a notch in the
distributor base for points adjustments. The pictured tool also worked with
different attachments to adjust the carbs also.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

762, temp cable splice to hook up temp power on sites near bare overhead
conductors, or to earth conductors.

763, quick set machinists jack.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#766 will disassemble itself when subjected to excessive heat.
Similar items are used in Theatre proscenium fire curtains.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

766 fire alarm or door closer from an old warehouse. The grey goo is
Woods metal, a low melting point alloy. When it gets hot it melts, the
two parts come apart and the wire door retainer they were part of
breaks and lets the door swing closed.

The complex shape is because these low melting point alloys are soft
and prone to creep, if used as a simple tension or shear link. The
shape used here puts the alloy in simple compression over most of it,
but there's still enough space to let it separate cleanly when melted.

Most people that I've shown this piece of hardware think it might be some
type of connector that was meant to give way under a certain amount of
weight or stress, but I like your fire door closer idea. I haven't had any
luck searching the web for similar devices, I'm wondering where you've seen
one before and if you know any other terms for it.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." writes:

[...]

It's called a fusible link. see, z.b.
http://www.dasma.com/PDF/Publications/TechDataSheets/RollingDoor/TDS255.pdf
http://www.elsiemfg.com/

scott

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

765 is an old points adjusting tool for GM vehicles.

I was hoping someone else knew. I still have one (KD) along with a ton
of other special tools!

Leon KD tools.. the expensive ones that GM sends you every year. ;~)
Points dwell adjustment tool for the GM caps with the window. The 4 and 6
bangers had to have the cap off with a screwdriver in the a notch in the
distributor base for points adjustments. The pictured tool also worked
with different attachments to adjust the carbs also.

Leon, I should send pictures to this guy of some of the (GM/VW/HONDA and
others) special tools I have been forced to buy over the last 30 years ;-0

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

A leveling jack of some sort - 2 x quick release / set levers, cross bar
through bolt head to fine adjust.

It does appear to be a jack, and you're correct about the quick release
levers and the fine adjust on the top. Also, on the top part, that's an
arrow pointing to the right but you can't see the lower part of the arrow
head. If you turn it around to look at the other side, it also has an arrow
head in the same spot pointing right.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

The seller said that he didn't know what it was until an old timer told him
that he recognized it as an old printer's or type setter's tool. I haven't
been able to verify if this is true or not. There is some text on the
bottom of both sides which reads:

"MORGANS WICOX PATENT"

and

"M & W PAT 4 HICH LOCK", not sure about the HICH.

The text can be seen in this photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...04/pic763d.jpg

I did find an M & W Printing on the web but I haven't yet found their web
site, I might give them a call tomorrow and see how long they've been in
business.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

It's called a fusible link. see, z.b.

http://www.dasma.com/PDF/Publication...oor/TDS255.pdf

http://www.elsiemfg.com/

scott

Thanks! Those sites are good references; I think that the one in my photos
is probably a fusible link but I'm still going to do a little more research
on it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

792) It looks like one variant on chem lab hardware -- clamps to
allow mounting two rod supports parallel to each other. (Others
mount them at right angles, or at variable angles, as well as
ones which clamp the necks of Florence flasks, test tubes, and
the like.

It is obviously made from an aluminum extrusion purpose designed
to be cut into many of these.

793) An adjustable height support -- and a jack which would be a bit
awkward to use for any significant weight.

Pressing the two sharp points towards the center should allow it
to be slid freely up and down -- decoupling the jackscrew from
the outer frame.

If you adjust it to near height, then put a significant weight on
it which needs to be adjusted up a bit more, it is done by
sticking a rod into the holes in the knurled knob just below the
top plate, and using the rod to rotate the jackscrew. You'll
have to shift the rod about every quarter turn, so it is not
very good for a large range of adjustment.

Note that the threads on the screw are buttress threads, instead
of normal V-threads.

Based on the size, it is a cute little device.

794) Hmm ... is that wood? If so, I will guess that it is part of
a nutcracker.

795) Is the end of this one hollow? If so, I would call it a punch
for making holes in leather -- perhaps with a spring-loaded snap
in the increased diameter part.

If not -- there are hints of a hex shape to the end, which would
make it a long extension Allen driver.

I don't see a retaining collar, so it may not be possible to
change the bits -- otherwise it would be a more general purpose
screwdriver, depending on which bits were installed.

796) What that looks like is a vibration reducer for something
supported by steel cables or perhaps even chains. The curved
groove would be filled with rubber, so there would be some give.

It looks quite old -- old enough to put it back to the time that
rubber vulcanization was not yet widely used, thus the hardening
with age.

797) The carefully selected angle of the photo suggests to me that
there is another hole, of larger diameter, in the upper span of
the wood.

It *could* be only part way through, but deep enough to allow
the bottom of the golf tee to clear the lower span, and then be
tipped forward or to the side away from the view.

Or -- it equally could be all the way through, thus making it
easy to lift the tee all the way through and remove it (or
reverse that to install it).

*Or* -- the hole in the bottom span could be larger in diameter
between the upper and lower ends of the known hole, thus
allowing the tee to be tipped once it has been lifted a bit.
This could include a hole from the "back" (the upright) to give
it the freedom of motion needed.

Now to see what others have posted.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A leveling jack of some sort - 2 x quick release / set levers, cross bar
through bolt head to fine adjust.

It does appear to be a jack, and you're correct about the quick release
levers and the fine adjust on the top. Also, on the top part, that's an
arrow pointing to the right but you can't see the lower part of the arrow
head. If you turn it around to look at the other side, it also has an arrow
head in the same spot pointing right.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

The seller said that he didn't know what it was until an old timer told him
that he recognized it as an old printer's or type setter's tool. I haven't
been able to verify if this is true or not. There is some text on the
bottom of both sides which reads:

Could it be to press rows or columns of type together in a standard
sized "box"?

Are the holes near the knurling such that you could insert a round rod
to tighten the screw? I can't tell if they are holes or set screws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

In 767 the wood is soaked and the top part is compressed by clamping
until the tee can be inserted, then the clamp is removed and the wood
returns to its original shape.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Steve Nelson" wrote in message
ups.com...

R.H. wrote:
[...]

It's been a few weeks since I found this, but now that I think about it, the
seller might have said it was an old printers clamp, which would possibly
work as you describe. I've done some searching but haven't found anything
similar yet.

Are the holes near the knurling such that you could insert a round rod
to tighten the screw? I can't tell if they are holes or set screws.

Yes, there are three equally spaced holes so a rod could be used to tighten
it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

762, temp cable splice to hook up temp power on sites near bare overhead
conductors, or to earth conductors.

This answer certainly makes sense, but why would anyone design in the notch
between the two screws? The notch seems to be a stress concentrator that
would lead to failure. Perhaps it was designed by a NASA space scientist.

"badger.badger" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

762, temp cable splice to hook up temp power on sites near bare overhead
conductors, or to earth conductors.

763, quick set machinists jack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

764. Hard to say with no scale given. Is it as small as, say, a ball
point pen?

767. The top part was soaked and squeezed in a vise, then soaked again
and allowed to expand after the tee was inserted.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Actually, the expensive tools GM sent out were Kent Moore. KD were available
at the parts stores for reasonable money and worked quite well.

--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

762. Not going to guess
763. Not going to guess
764. Ballpoint pen end w/out the ball
765. I agree w/the carb tool
766. I agree w/the fire detection link (thats what I thought when I
saw it)
767. I agree w/the steaming (thats what I thought when I saw it)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Alexander Thesoso :
762, temp cable splice to hook up temp power on sites near bare overhead
conductors, or to earth conductors.

This answer certainly makes sense, but why would anyone design in the notch
between the two screws? The notch seems to be a stress concentrator that
would lead to failure. Perhaps it was designed by a NASA space scientist.

Perhaps just to reduce the weight. Since if it is being applied
to already live wires, it will need to be positioned by a long insulated
pole with a hook through the eye on the clamp screw.

The notch is rounded enough to be not much of a problem -- and I
don't see it being in service for long enough to worry about that as it
is apparently applied.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

They've all been answered correctly this week:

762. Clamp for high power wires

763. Probably used by a printer for securing type

764. Cupped end of a baseball bat. For future reference, when posting a
photo of something really small, I usually include the words "close-up shot"
or "partial/close-up shot", whereas in this case I had posted just "partial
shot".

765. Flexible allen wrench to adjust the points on GM vehicles with a
window in the distributor cap

766. Most likely a fusible link, for automatically closing a fire door.

767. The wood was either steamed or soaked to compress or bend it to make
the impossible object. The piece of wood doesn't have any hidden holes or
unusual drillings; one of the two pieces was made temporarily pliable to
create this item.

A new photo and lots of links have been posted on the answer page, plus an
additional link not related to this set:

http://pzphotosan131g-2.blogspot.com/

Rob

http://pzphotosan131g-2.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

About 767... I wouldn't dream of disputing your description of how it was
made... but...

If I wanted to make the object, I'd first shape the block and drill the
through-hole you describe. Then I'd cut a sector shaped slot on the left
side of the drilled hole. Use a chisel, or a small rotary rasp. The sector
shaped slot should be a little narrower than the hole, most of the way to
the to the bottom. The vertex of the sector just a little below the top of
the hole. This would permit tilting the tee to insert it. After the tee is
inserted, with the block laying on its left side, and the tee pushed all the
way so its head touches the block, I'd use wood filler or epoxy to fill the
sector from the free end of the hole.

But, as I said, I don't want to argue with your description.

Keep up the good work.

"R.H." wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
About 767... I wouldn't dream of disputing your description of how it was
made... but...

If I wanted to make the object, I'd first shape the block and drill the
through-hole you describe. Then I'd cut a sector shaped slot on the left
side of the drilled hole. Use a chisel, or a small rotary rasp. The
sector shaped slot should be a little narrower than the hole, most of the
way to the to the bottom. The vertex of the sector just a little below
the top of the hole. This would permit tilting the tee to insert it.
After the tee is inserted, with the block laying on its left side, and the
tee pushed all the way so its head touches the block, I'd use wood filler
or epoxy to fill the sector from the free end of the hole.

But, as I said, I don't want to argue with your description.

Keep up the good work.

Its easier to just steam the Tee - bend it and stuff it in the hole, once
it cools, you could not remove it. Its a simple puzzle.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
They've all been answered correctly this week:

762. Clamp for high power wires

763. Probably used by a printer for securing type

"M & W PAT 4 HICH LOCK"

Reads "M & W PAT 4 INCH LOCK" to me?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
They've all been answered correctly this week:

762. Clamp for high power wires

763. Probably used by a printer for securing type

"M & W PAT 4 HICH LOCK"

Reads "M & W PAT 4 INCH LOCK" to me?

Thanks, looks like you're right. I just measured it and at its lowest it's
3-15/16" tall, so that confirms your guess. Maybe that will help me find
more info on it.

Rob