Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sad

Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

If the FIL is 80, I'm guessing the son-in-law is somewhere between 40
and 60.

Is that too old for retroactive abortion?

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

If the FIL is 80 and of ill health,then why is the seller a scumbag? surely
it cost money to look after an ill relative.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Obviously this guy must never think he's going to be 80 or ever be sick and
have to watch some moran sell away a life time of work effort. I hope this
ends up going full circle and getting him one day !!!!

Also another good reason to make your wishes known before hand as to what
you want done with your shop. I was blessed some 40 years ago to be given
a shop full of tools from a friend of the family who passed away . That was
my start in woodworking. Happily my son has since followed suit and lacks
for nothing in his shop. He actually still uses some of those original
tools. As a result of that gift years ago my wishes are that they keep the
tools until they happen to find some deserving person starting out and to
make them the same gift I got 40 years ago. Might seem a little selfish
but it makes me feel good knowing someone else will maybe get a life long
love for woodworking because of it!

"RayV" wrote in message
ps.com...
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

If the FIL is 80 and of ill health,then why is the seller a scumbag? surely
it cost money to look after an ill relative.

Seems to be an awful lot of baseless conclusion jumping around here.
Isn't it conceivable the ad is exactly what it says, a son in law
helping his ill father in law out by selling something he no longer
uses, something for which the man might actual be grateful? There's
nothing in the ad to indicate anything else so why the negative assumptions?

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Walsh" edwalsh@dev_null wrote in message
Obviously this guy must never think he's going to be 80 or ever be sick

and
have to watch some moran sell away a life time of work effort. I hope

this
ends up going full circle and getting him one day !!!!

I'm not so sure that you are being fair to the guy that posted this ad.
Read the quote:

"This is a complete amateur furniture-maker/woodworker shop. Many pro-grade
tools. This shop has taken over 20 years to assemble, constantly being
upgraded. The owner is my father-in-law, an 80-year-old former engineer and
fine woodworker who kept the tools well-maintained. Poor health is the
reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore. "

It doesn't suggest to me that the guy that owns the shop is not involved in
the process. It may very well be that he does not want to saddle his kids
with having to deal with his stuff upon his demise that he feels is just
around the corner. Dad might also think that this is a good way to pay for
the last chance at the trip he always wanted to take or something.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Also another good reason to make your wishes known before hand as to what
you want done with your shop. I was blessed some 40 years ago to be

given
a shop full of tools from a friend of the family who passed away . That

was
my start in woodworking. Happily my son has since followed suit and lacks
for nothing in his shop. He actually still uses some of those original
tools. As a result of that gift years ago my wishes are that they keep

the
tools until they happen to find some deserving person starting out and to
make them the same gift I got 40 years ago. Might seem a little selfish
but it makes me feel good knowing someone else will maybe get a life long
love for woodworking because of it!

"RayV" wrote in message
ps.com...
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

Just curious what makes you think he's *making* his FIL do anything?
Maybe his FIL is too sick to handle selling it himself?

I don't see enough information there to judge...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ps.com...
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Maybe the FIL is in a nursing home and they need to sell the house to pay
the bills.
Maybe the FIL just wants to sell the tools so someone can be using them.
Could be a hundred things.

I don't see how he could have $60k in those tools though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still
alive.

Kind of easy to pick out the folks in this string of posts who have never
been in a caregiver role. The ad says he just doesn't use the tools any
more. Anyone consider that that might BE TRUE?

More importantly, maybe he has reached a mental and physical state where the
tools are a danger to the old gentleman. If you experts think this is
terrible, wait until the day when you have to ask dad or mom for their car
keys. Then you might understand the pain that the son-in-law and his wife
are feeling.

Most of you do not have the facts; but I suspect you do have some growing up
to do in the future.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

RonB wrote:
This scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still
alive.

Kind of easy to pick out the folks in this string of posts who have never
been in a caregiver role. The ad says he just doesn't use the tools any
more. Anyone consider that that might BE TRUE?

More importantly, maybe he has reached a mental and physical state where the
tools are a danger to the old gentleman. If you experts think this is
terrible, wait until the day when you have to ask dad or mom for their car
keys. Then you might understand the pain that the son-in-law and his wife
are feeling.

Right on target. My mother died at the age of 79 a few years ago. She
drove up until about the last year of her life, at which point I had to
take away her car after several fender benders, including 2 in which she
backed into cars at local grocery store parking lot than simply drove
off, apparently not even realizing what had happened. She was not happy
about losing an important aspect of her freedom, and frankly it was a
fairly grim scene, but if I had not done this & she had killed or
injured some child in one of those parking lots, I would have felt
horribly guilty.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
Kind of easy to pick out the folks in this string of posts who have never
been in a caregiver role. The ad says he just doesn't use the tools any
more. Anyone consider that that might BE TRUE?

More importantly, maybe he has reached a mental and physical state where the
tools are a danger to the old gentleman.

I don't care how feeble and confused I get. I want my tools until I'm
dead, and I can explain why. I don't even have a good workshop, and yet
my identity is tied up in having tools and at least theoretically being
able to use them. If a "caregiver" sold them off because I'm 80 and
can't use them anyway, to me that would be like saying I'm dead
already. Just doing time 'til I take the dirt nap.

I was kidding about retroactively aborting the SIL. Joke. Not joking,
however, about feeling as good as dead without tools. That's just me,
personally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

More importantly, maybe he has reached a mental and physical state where the
tools are a danger to the old gentleman. If you experts think this is
terrible, wait until the day when you have to ask dad or mom for their car
keys. Then you might understand the pain that the son-in-law and his wife
are feeling.

Most of you do not have the facts; but I suspect you do have some growing up
to do in the future.

RonB

I just hope whoever buys this setup makes certain to get a receipt from
the FIL or a copy of the SIL's power of attorney or something. FIL may
not even be aware of what SIL is doing. If SIL doesn't own it, he
can't sell it.

FoggyTown
Red Sox fan since 1955 - presently considering options

Posted to rec.woodworking

"boorite" wrote:

I was kidding about retroactively aborting the SIL. Joke. Not joking,
however, about feeling as good as dead without tools. That's just me,
personally.

And hopefully, your SIL would respect that. However, no basis that I
see for imputing your attitude about your tools to the FIL in this
case.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
"boorite" wrote:
I was kidding about retroactively aborting the SIL. Joke. Not joking,
however, about feeling as good as dead without tools. That's just me,
personally.

And hopefully, your SIL would respect that. However, no basis that I
see for imputing your attitude about your tools to the FIL in this
case.

Right, except I thought it was fun to kid about. Can't speak for the
OP, but I was not trying to be very serious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ps.com...
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Geez, did I miss something?

It says,

The owner is my father-in-law, an 80-year-old former engineer and fine
woodworker who kept the tools well-maintained. Poor health is the reason for
the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore

Can you explain how you got "scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen writes:

Just curious what makes you think he's *making* his FIL do anything?
Maybe his FIL is too sick to handle selling it himself?

Or maybe his father-in-law doesn't know a thing about computers.

My 80-year old FIL has problems with anything that requires reading
the instructions.

My MIL called me over the other day to help her with the new
calculator she bought. The display was showing these strange numbers -
"123.456.78" no matter what buttons she pressed. So I peeled off the
protective cover.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"boorite" writes:

I don't care how feeble and confused I get. I want my tools until I'm
dead, and I can explain why. I don't even have a good workshop, and yet
my identity is tied up in having tools and at least theoretically being
able to use them. If a "caregiver" sold them off because I'm 80 and
can't use them anyway, to me that would be like saying I'm dead
already. Just doing time 'til I take the dirt nap.

If I had a a choice of selling them for the true value, or having my
widow sell them for a fraction of their true worth, I'd sell them
while I'm still "with it."

I can see it now.

"How much ya want for that table saw? Hmm. It's 3-phase and
240 volts. That's a real pain to use. And this sucker's heavy. Pretty
old.... at least 10 years. I guess I could go as high as $200, and I'd be
doing you a favor."

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just hope whoever buys this setup makes certain to get a receipt from
the FIL or a copy of the SIL's power of attorney or something. FIL may
not even be aware of what SIL is doing. If SIL doesn't own it, he
can't sell it.

FoggyTown
Red Sox fan since 1955 - presently considering options

Man --- We are drawing a lot of crazy conclusions from the OP? My wife and
I served as caregivers for the 14 years that all four of our parents
declined and passed. I'll damned well guarantee you that my mother didn't
know about some of the things we had to do. Most ahlzheimers patients
don't.

Didn't make it much easier.

Boorite Said:
I don't care how feeble and confused I get. I want my tools until I'm
dead, and I can explain why.

Your caregiver might be able to come up with a reason to sell them that
makes more sense. How 'bout $4,000/month nursing home bills? How 'bout
$900/month prescription bills? Funny how many people think this kind of
stuff is covered by Medicare. Someone has to pay the bills or you will go
off into the Medicaid mist. Then you can loose the ability to choose your
care facility.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Wow! guess I hit a sore spot with some people. Just my initial
reaction reading the ad and looking at the pictures.

Must have been an initial flash of my future if neither of my girls
take to tools. I feel bad for Art either having to give it up or being
forced to give it up. The ad does say "Poor health is the reason for
the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore." Those tools don't look to
me like they've been sitting around for years, heck the dust collector
looks like it just came out of the box. The "cash and carry" satement
also made me ill.

Maybe it is for nursing home care or to pay for medication. But I can
tell you if my MIL ever gets to the point she can't or won't cook,
garden, or make wine anymore I'll be damned If I would even consider
selling off her stuff for non-use or money. For her happiness it would
be worth any minor inconvience to me to make things work out for her.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
Maybe it is for nursing home care or to pay for medication. But I can
tell you if my MIL ever gets to the point she can't or won't cook,
garden, or make wine anymore I'll be damned If I would even consider
selling off her stuff for non-use or money. For her happiness it would
be worth any minor inconvience to me to make things work out for her.

Any maybe you'll have to sell it (as well as her house) at some point to pay
for her care. BTDT. It goes well beyond "minor" inconvenience sometimes.

OTOH, maybe the old guy would rather see it gone than to have to look at
tools he can't use. We surely don' tknow the real reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

Where did it say that he was forcing the 80 year old to sell the stuff.

Maybe the 80 year old asked him to sell it?

How would we know?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RayV" *callously* wrote in message
Maybe it is for nursing home care or to pay for medication. But I can
tell you if my MIL ever gets to the point she can't or won't cook,
garden, or make wine anymore I'll be damned If I would even consider
selling off her stuff for non-use or money. For her happiness it would
be worth any minor inconvience to me to make things work out for her.

Edwin Pawlowski replied:

Any maybe you'll have to sell it (as well as her house) at some point to pay
for her care. BTDT. It goes well beyond "minor" inconvenience sometimes.

RayV apologetically replied:
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure it was difficult for all.

I hope SWMBO and I will never be in that position, MIL is still going
strong at 69 with no signs of slowing down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

why doesn't someone just e-mail the guy and ask him what's up with the
sale?

Oh yeah, not nealy as fun as the assumptions :-)

RayV wrote:
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ps.com...
Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

I'm not going to go there

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

I think this guy is out of his tree thinking that he can get $30K for a shop
of tools. IMO the 1/2 of new guideline applies to *individual* tools.

Maybe... just maybe if he sold the pieces one-zy two-zy and was really
patient. Anybody who would want those shop contents (pretty nice stuff)
probably has half of it already. The seller should be offering a "package
discount". I would be surprised if he gets much more than $10k.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce Barnett wrote:
"How much ya want for that table saw? Hmm. It's 3-phase and
240 volts. That's a real pain to use. And this sucker's heavy. Pretty
old.... at least 10 years. I guess I could go as high as $200, and I'd be
doing you a favor."

So what! I'll be dead! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron S" wrote in message
oups.com...
why doesn't someone just e-mail the guy and ask him what's up with the
sale?

Because, Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it
anymore, pretty much sums it up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

Maybe it is for nursing home care or to pay for medication. But I can
tell you if my MIL ever gets to the point she can't or won't cook,
garden, or make wine anymore I'll be damned If I would even consider
selling off her stuff for non-use or money. For her happiness it would
be worth any minor inconvience to me to make things work out for her.

And there maybe another simple reason why the stuff is forsale. The FIL who
loves woodworking so much just may not be able to do it anymore like he used
to and just wants it all out of his sight. I used to be a really avid gun
collector with a membership and part ownership of a gun club. When I would
up in a wheelchair, after one attempt to go up to the gun club and slogging
through the mud and sand at the gun range, I realized that I wasn't going to
be able to enjoy it as I used to be able to. I sold off all my guns and a
few people walked out the door grinning from ear to ear at the deals I gave
them. Since I wasn't going to enjoy shooting anymore, I just wanted it all
out of my sight. And even now some years later, I've always known it was the
right thing for me to do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6 Sep 2006 12:47:49 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This
scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html

Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Well, I do have a suspicious mind at times but I kind of wonder
whether the same guy who placed the ad posted the message here.

Maybe he was concerned he'd get flamed if he just pointed us to it so
he tried to come up with an angle.

Otherwise, I just don't understand his motivation and logic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I do have a suspicious mind at times but I kind of wonder
whether the same guy who placed the ad posted the message here.

Actually I hope the guy who originated the ad never has to see some of the
stuff posted here!

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce Barnett wrote:
"boorite" writes:

Bruce Barnett wrote:
"How much ya want for that table saw? Hmm. It's 3-phase and
240 volts. That's a real pain to use. And this sucker's heavy. Pretty
old.... at least 10 years. I guess I could go as high as $200, and I'd be
doing you a favor."

So what! I'll be dead! ;-)

Single, eh? :-)

Nope! I'm just not gonna be counting my change, because I'll be DEAD.
:-D

I mean think about it. "Wow, reselling my tools for hundreds less than
they're worth is the worst thing that's happened to me this month...
besides DYING."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:01:21 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

Well, I do have a suspicious mind at times but I kind of wonder
whether the same guy who placed the ad posted the message here.

Actually I hope the guy who originated the ad never has to see some of the
stuff posted here!

RonB

Probably right about that....