DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/175030-consumer-product-safety-comm-discuss-proposed-sawstop-technology-safety-rule.html)

CW September 11th 06 05:35 AM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

"Upscale" wrote in message
I can't argue with that Ed, but, answer me one question. If you'd invented
this product and knowing how many injuries it could prevent, would you

have
given it away completely for free? I don't call it greed for someone to
invent something that will benefit people, but also want to profit from it
at the same time. I call that just a natural human instinct to want to
benefit from what we create.

He is and has been completely free to sell it. If that's what the public
wants, all they have to do is call his company and order one. I'm beginning
to think that you believe that the general public is just to stupid to know
what is good for them. You and Mr. Gass, of course, are the enlightened
ones.

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 05:40 AM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Upscale wrote:

You're suggesting that the drug companies are a philanthropic
business?

Nope.

8 million folks. Wow, that adds up to how much, less than
0.03 of the US population?

It adds up to 8 million folks who couldn't afford their medications..

Har, don't make me laugh.

You find the plight of those in poverty funny? Or the manufacturers that
provide the assistance?

Suggest you look
into how many billions those same drug companies take in. The few
billion dollars of product they might freely distribute are given
solely for appearance purposes.

When you are fully read up on the subject, get back to me...... gee, that
patronization technique works well.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Upscale September 11th 06 06:05 AM

"CW" wrote in message
wants, all they have to do is call his company and order one. I'm

beginning
to think that you believe that the general public is just to stupid to

know
what is good for them. You and Mr. Gass, of course, are the enlightened
ones.

You're too stupid obviously. Let's keep everything free choice. To hell with
seat belts. Forget laws against driving under the influence. Everybody
should own an UZI. Even better, let's arm everybody with their own personal
armoury of surface to air missiles. Freedom for all I say. CW says it should
be that way so let's do it. Absolutely everybody with the choice to do what
they want. Wouldn't it be glorious?

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Guess that's one that got by you. Maybe
in your next fantasy.

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 06:29 AM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Upscale wrote:

You're too stupid obviously.

shaking head sigh

Let's keep everything free choice. To
hell with seat belts. Forget laws against driving under the
influence. Everybody should own an UZI. Even better, let's arm
everybody with their own personal armoury of surface to air missiles.
Freedom for all I say.

Yep, that's right; giving the consumer the choice of whether or not to
purchase a Sawstop is tantamount to allowing folks to be armed with surface
to air missles, or the freedom to drive drunk.

CW says it should be that way so let's do it.
Absolutely everybody with the choice to do what they want. Wouldn't
it be glorious?

The choice to do whatever one wants is NOT the issue. The issue is consumer
choice.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Guess that's one that got by you.

Wow, you just throw out these pearls regardless of their relevance. Straw
men just blow away.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 10:56 AM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:03:41 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Profit yes, but how much is too much. That is one of the unknowns here.

If
you go back in history, you can find examples of all sorts of situations
from the scientist that labored out of the desire to help humanity to the
ones purely profit motivated.

I guess it will all come out eventually. We'll just have to wait and see.

About a year ago, one of the auto manufacturers (maybe Mercedes?) was
getting advertising mileage by stating they gave away the technology for
safety devices. Details don't seem to be stored in the brain cells right
now.

I'll grant you it might have happened, but there's one important difference.
They were/are already in business in a big way. What's the likelihood of it
happening if they were a fledgling organization trying to survive?

Yeah, but they were *in the business* because they di the hard work
the old fashion way.
And, we would have to ask *why* is SS a fledgling operation....because
the product is not needed or wanted by the masses. A niche market,
yes. Gass cannot accept that, cannot go out and make the world
understand that his product is superior, to compete in the
marketplace.

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 11:05 AM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:05:55 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
wants, all they have to do is call his company and order one. I'm

beginning
to think that you believe that the general public is just to stupid to

know
what is good for them. You and Mr. Gass, of course, are the enlightened
ones.

You're too stupid obviously. Let's keep everything free choice. To hell with
seat belts. Forget laws against driving under the influence. Everybody
should own an UZI. Even better, let's arm everybody with their own personal
armoury of surface to air missiles. Freedom for all I say. CW says it should
be that way so let's do it. Absolutely everybody with the choice to do what
they want. Wouldn't it be glorious?

Those same flimsy comparisons. Regulations for seat belts and DUI
laws, and UZI's for that matter protect us against third party injury.
The operation of power equip is soley in the hands of the operator.
Follow procedure and you won't be injured...period.

Brian Siano September 11th 06 04:24 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technologysafety rule

Larry Blanchard wrote:
The Other Funk wrote:

Actually the SawStop folks have a legal responsibility to maximize profits
for thier investors.

And that justifies how many unethical and/or illegal practices?

It justifies none, of course. It's difficult to see how Sawstop's
efforts are _illegal_, unles you regard lobbying the government as
illegal. As for unethical, that's sort of a judgement call: there may be
very good reasons to mandate an important safety feature on tablesaws.

jtpr September 11th 06 05:00 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

David wrote:
I've lurked long enough. . . .

I agree with almost everyone above - that this is a great safety
feature, yet that it shouldn't be forced on individuals. I agree that
the company's goal is to line their pockets, but I can't begrudge
someone a few bucks for what can save a lot of grief.

I am a hand surgeon in a suburb west of Cleveland, and have seen a
minimum 2-3 woodworking injuries a week over the last 15 years, many of
which end up in the OR. They range from close calls and nicked nails,
to devastating life changing and career ending injuries. Almost
everyone one of them is a table saw related injury (with a smattering of
chop saws, circular saws, drills, and the occasional router or jointer),
and every injury of significance involves contact with a moving (under
power or coasting) blade. While most admittedly represent some error in
judgment (poor outfeed support, small workpiece, blocking kickback,
fatigue, lapse of concentration, etc.), they happen to the experienced
woodworkers probably more often than to the inexperienced.

The best safety remains the guard and splitter (I'm ready for the
assault! - but I've still NEVER seen a table saw injury that needed to
see me when the guard was in place), but for people who feel better
without it, this could be a great thing. (Although even SawStop
recommends the guard and riving knife.)

Twenty (maybe 10?) years from now, some variation of this technology
will be as standard as the on-off switch, at least in the industrial
environment, and yes, it will likely be legislated. As individual
woodworkers today, our best bet is to learn the technologies and
encourage them, in the hope that, as Upscale said, the negative
impressions will fade away when the cost decreases.

David S.

sweetsawdust wrote:

I would think that the 55,000 TS injuries a year might be a little low.
This week I have had 3 injuries from my table saw, bumped into it once and
hurt my leg, laid down a stack of boards and mashed my finger, had a piece
of wood (large) fall from the table and hit my foot. None of these injuries
occurred when the saw was running, Total loss of time 5 min at most while I
was cussing my own stupidity, cost to business $0. Will the saw stop help
with any of those? they seem to be the most common type around my shop.
"George Max" wrote in message

Reposting a message I found in ABPW:

(FWIW)

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:47:54 -0500, 25th Century Quaker
wrote:

Safety Innovator and SawStop Founder Stephen Gass to Meet With CPSC
Head; Open Meeting Held to Discuss Proposed New Safety Rule

9/5/2006 10:23:00 AM
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=71705

To: National Desk

Contact: Joe Householder, 713-301-0733, or
, for SawStop

WASHINGTON, Sept. 5 /U.S. Newswire/ -- On Wednesday, Sept. 6, Acting
Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chair Nancy Nord will hold
an open meeting with SawStop founder Stephen Gass to discuss a
proposed new safety rule that could save the American economy billions
of dollars each year and prevent thousands of workplace and home
injuries. Gass is the inventor of the SawStop technology, which
drastically reduces the risk of injury in the use of table saws.

According to the CPSC, there are 55,000 table saw injuries each year
with an estimated cost to society of $2 billion. Many of those
injuries occur when an operator's fingers or hand comes into contact
with the rapidly spinning table saw blade. These injuries are often
devastating, ruining careers, putting families into emotional and
financial turmoil and disrupting businesses.

"So many of those injuries can be prevented," said Gass. The proven
SawStop technology stops a table saw blade within milliseconds after
it comes into contact with human skin, in most cases resulting in a
small nick, rather than an amputation.

Presently, CPSC staff is developing an Advanced Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking which, if it ultimately becomes an official rule, will
require all table saw manufacturers to ensure that blade contact
injuries result in a minor injury.

"The proposed rule under consideration by the CPSC would prevent
thousands of life-altering table saw injuries each year," said Gass.
"It would preserve jobs, reduce costs to employers, cut worker
compensation claims and ensure that families don't suffer the
emotional and financial devastation that these injuries cause."

The meeting, which is open to the public and the news media, will be
at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 6. It will be held in the hearing room
at CPSC Headquarters, 4330 East West Highway, Bethesda, Md., 20814

For more information about SawStop and this innovative technology,
visit its Web page at http://www.sawstop.com.

David,

I used to feel the way you do about mandated safety, seat belts in
particular. But I have swung the other way due to the outrageous cost
to all of us in terms of health care. I lost the dip joint in the ring
finger of my left hand to a TS, but thanks to the amazing skill of
somebody like you, it isn't too bad. I count myself lucky for having
learned a valuable lesson at a relatively small cost.

-Jim

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 07:06 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:55:02 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:56:21 -0400, Joe Bemier
wrote:

Gass cannot accept that, cannot go out and make the world
understand that his product is superior, to compete in the
marketplace.

Since this is a "one shot" cartridge I wonder how many people would be
enamoured with it after a couple false triggers and being "down" until
you get a new cartridge. I'm sure there will be a way to bypass it on
the internet but that defeats the whole purpose.

Thats a good point. Around my world I only know of one SS. I heard
-third party- that it misfired once already.

Actually there are two issues that make me oppose the technology-

1) If it adds significant cost
2) If it misfires, and as you say, leaves me stranded. And, then there
is the cost of replacing it. I recently replaced my TS with a Grizzly
12" 5hp. However, if down the road, I need to replace and this
technology is required on all saws, I will disable it if possible.

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 07:24 PM

On 11 Sep 2006 09:00:22 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the valued insight Dr. David. You may have read my
when the operator follows proper procedure. If one is so inclined
there are many documented cases of injuries related to TS operation to
review. I cannot find a single case where the operator was anywhere
near proper procedure. It defies logic to suggest that such an
accident could take place. I would not want to go as far as to say it
would be physically impossible, but rather, extremely unlikely.

Thanks for posting!

To: National Desk

Upscale September 11th 06 07:40 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
The operation of power equip is solely in the hands of the operator.
Follow procedure and you won't be injured...period.

Same stupid impossible statement. NOBODY follows procedure perfectly EVERY
time. It's not humanely possible. Are you going to deny that some of the
safest people have never been injured? Accidents happen. That's why they're
called accidents.

I find it hard to understand how you're so down on Gass who might be
attempting to mandate his product which will save people from injury, while
at the same time, you're supporting the collection of manufacturers who
initially refused to endorse his product because it would cost them profits
even though injuries will continue. What you're saying is that it's ok for
manufacturer's to make profit even though more injuries are being caused,
but not ok for Gass to make a profit while preventing injuries. Is that it?
You're supporting injuries to continue because you don't like how someone
goes about making a profit?

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 08:08 PM

jtpr wrote:

I used to feel the way you do about mandated safety, seat belts in
particular. But I have swung the other way due to the outrageous cost
to all of us in terms of health care....

Although that may be a significant argument in your mind, it is not
persuasive to me. Life *itself* causes outrageous health care costs.
Seatbelts -- by themselves -- are *most* effective at speeds below 40 mph
(we're talkin' current seatbelts, not racing harnesses). It has been
demonstrated that, even with airbags, requiring helmets in a car can further
increase the survivability of crashes above 40 mph, while decreasing brain
injury. So, perhaps we need to mandate that cars be equipped with speed
regulators, and that passengers and drivers be required to wear helmets.
Let's also eliminate bicycles and motorbikes, backpacking and climbing,
boating, swimming, monkeybars, etc, because these, and numerous other
activities also add to the outrageous costs to all of us.

And by all means, lets eliminate new medical technologies and pharmaceutical
R&D and the adversarial legal system, 'cause they definitely add to the
outrageous costs to all of us in terms of health care.

Or maybe we could require everyone who purchases a WhirlySharp tool to show
proof of health and disability insurance. That way, if there is an injury or
disability, it is covered. We can also require registration of the tool
with the Dept. of WhirlySharp Tools prior to the purchase, so that
continuous monitoring of the insurance requirements are in place.

Or instead of the above, just keep encouraging people to read the manual, to
fully understand and *use* the safety precautions for the WhirlySharp tool
in question, and not to work in a manner that puts human flesh at risk of
disassembly.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Upscale September 11th 06 08:48 PM

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Seatbelts -- by themselves -- are *most* effective at speeds below 40 mph
(we're talkin' current seatbelts, not racing harnesses). It has been
demonstrated that, even with airbags, requiring helmets in a car can

further
increase the survivability of crashes above 40 mph, while decreasing brain
injury.

rest snipped

And how do you respond to those times where serious accidents have occurred
at much greater speeds and coming out of it almost completely unscathed? If
you want me to, I can post a picture of an accident I was in at 60 MPH
ramming into a concrete telephone pole that fell on the car and crushed it,
but where I came out of it with a cut on my hand and virtually no other
injury. Was I lucky? Damned right I was. But, I attribute 99% of that luck
to the fact that I was wearing a standard seat belt ~ a seat belt that I
wouldn't have been wearing without laws to mandate it.

Upscale September 11th 06 09:00 PM

wrote in message

I used to feel the way you do about mandated safety, seat belts in
particular. But I have swung the other way due to the outrageous cost
to all of us in terms of health care.

That is a red herrring unless you want to go protest the KFC, Baskin
Robbins and McDonalds.

Big difference don't you think with things that can cause definite instant
injury and other things that may cause health difficulties over a long
period? If you want to really get down to it, your statement is much more of
a red herring than the one you commented on.

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:03 PM

Upscale wrote:

Same stupid impossible statement.

Pot-kettle-black.

NOBODY follows procedure perfectly
EVERY time. It's not humanely possible....

Right, uh-huh.

I find it hard to understand how you're so down on Gass who might be
attempting to mandate his product which will save people from injury,

Your comprehension is YOUR problem, not ours. To most of us, it is perfectly
clear that an individual trying to use the force of the government to coerce
individual consumers to purchase his specific product under the guise of
safety, is a weasle trying to make a fast buck. In other words, he can't
convince me, through the open market, that I need his product. He then
attempts to engage the government into *forcing* me to make the purchase via
a codified mandate on the manufacturer.

while at the same time, you're supporting the collection of
manufacturers who initially refused to endorse his product because it
would cost them profits even though injuries will continue. What
you're saying is that it's ok for manufacturer's to make profit even
though more injuries are being caused, but not ok for Gass to make a
profit while preventing injuries. Is that it? You're supporting
injuries to continue because you don't like how someone goes about
making a profit?

How is this even REMOTELY equivalent? Opposing forced government
profit-making at the consumer level does NOT equate to supporting a
manufacturer. You seem to ignore the fact that the government does not
require that an individual purchase a WhirlySharp; that is entirely the
choice of the consumer. It is ALSO the choice of the consumer to purchase
the Sawstop if s/he chooses to do so.

But wait, says Gass, let's ignore the middleman -- the marketplace --
altogether and go straight to the government. That is bogus horsepuckey. It
is the same devious mindset that would cause McDonalds to go to congress and
argue that "since a lot of workers go to McDs at lunch, and as a result are
at risk for severe injuries or death on the road as motorists or
pedestrians, the government needs to require a McDonald in every workplace
building".

And as for your wrongly held notion that the manufacturers are worried about
PROFIT as a motive, let me remind you of how profit is derived. All cost of
goods are added up, and the product is then priced. IF Sawstop is
incorporated into ALL WhirlySharps by government fiat, that cost will be
passed onto the consumer, it won't be absorbed by the manufacturer. Thus,
your argument that this is a PROFIT issue on the part of the manufacturers
is flaccid.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Upscale September 11th 06 09:10 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

wrote in message
It sounds like YOU really do need a nanny government. Some of us
don't.
My Jeep rollover was harmless too but I had my seatbelt fastened and
it wasn't a law then. Some of us can be safe without a government
mandate.

Well, I guess that says it all. The GREAT INVULNERABLE human. Obviously,
you've never had to go to a hospital for an injury, you've never visited a
doctor because you've never been sick and you've never needed any type of
assistance whatsoever even once in your life.

All of these things mandated and maintained by government and the
bureaucracy that you hate so much has been completely useless to you.

My hat is off to you and your uniqueness. I'm truly envious of your exempt
status in this universe. Too bad we're not all so lucky.

(You're so full of crap it's putrefying)

Dave Hall September 11th 06 09:14 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:40:17 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard several times in these debates that manufacturers don't
want this technology because it will hurt their profits. I don't
understand. If everyone had to redesign their equipment, eliminate
their low end saws and install sawstops on the rest, why would profits
drop. They would simply ALL raise their prices sifficient to ensure
the same proofits continue on lower volume/higher priced sales. There
would clearly be a lot fewer saws sold, those only producing low-end
saws would, by definition, go out of business, but the big boys would
still sell saws just at higher prices with higher individual gross
profit margins and market equalibreum would be reached at the price
point where everyone is satisfied with the level of profits - just
like it is now (you know the law of supply and demand - they will
produce enough saws to meet demand, but demand is based on price and
price must include adequate profit). A lot of people in this group
(like me) who use benchtop saws or BT3000s or Shopsmiths would, once
those wore out, simply quit doing woodworking and take up golf because
we didn't have $1,000 laying around for a low end "safe" saw.

Dave Hall

Upscale September 11th 06 09:14 PM

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
passed onto the consumer, it won't be absorbed by the manufacturer. Thus,
your argument that this is a PROFIT issue on the part of the manufacturers
is flaccid.

Bull****! The cost of the product passed onto the consumer has a direct
effect on how many consumers decide to actually buy that product. That
effects their bottom line, AKA PROFITS. Are you really that stupid to think
otherwise? God, what type of moron are you?

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:15 PM

Upscale wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Seatbelts -- by themselves -- are *most* effective at speeds below
40 mph (we're talkin' current seatbelts, not racing harnesses). It
has been demonstrated that, even with airbags, requiring helmets in
a car can further increase the survivability of crashes above 40
mph, while decreasing brain injury.

And how do you respond to those times where serious accidents have
occurred at much greater speeds and coming out of it almost
completely unscathed?

Ah, selective snipping. Even so, you must go back and read the my post for
comprehension. I did not say that there are never good outcomes ABOVE 40
mph.

If you want me to, I can post a picture of an
accident I was in at 60 MPH ramming into a concrete telephone pole
that fell on the car and crushed it, but where I came out of it with
a cut on my hand and virtually no other injury.

Excellent. Yes I would love to see that picture, please post it. I serve on
the Governor's Injury Prevention Task-Force, and it may be worth sharing.

Was I lucky? Damned
right I was. But, I attribute 99% of that luck to the fact that I was
wearing a standard seat belt ~ a seat belt that I wouldn't have been
wearing without laws to mandate it.

Well, thanks for making several folk's point. That users have the ability to
virtually eliminate severe injury when using WhirlySharps, but they choose
to ignore the safety gear and techniques available to them.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:19 PM

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
That is a red herrring unless you want to go protest the KFC, Baskin

Robbins and McDonalds.

Big difference don't you think with things that can cause definite
instant injury and other things that may cause health difficulties
over a long period? ....snip.

How so? If anything, the costs and disabilities and death due to longterm
degenerative disease is FAR more onerous than WhirlySharp injuries.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Upscale September 11th 06 09:24 PM

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
those wore out, simply quit doing woodworking and take up golf because
we didn't have $1,000 laying around for a low end "safe" saw.

And you doubt that would effect profits? If they're not selling saws,
they're not making, maintaining a certain profit level. In fact, a business
needs to grow to survive. That means it needs to increase profit as time
goes on or it will eventually die. Just maintaining the status quo is not
enough for investors anymore. That's my take on it anyway.

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:26 PM

Upscale wrote:

Well, I guess that says it all. The GREAT INVULNERABLE human.
Obviously, you've never had to go to a hospital for an injury, you've
never visited a doctor because you've never been sick and you've
never needed any type of assistance whatsoever even once in your life.

Taking the long road to the horizon, ain't ya, Butch. You were the one that
stated you wouldn't wear a seatbelt unless it was mandated. gfretwell stated
that he wore his because he knew it was good for him. It seems to me that
the Gman was the one that KNEW he was vulnerable. It was YOU, because you
lacked the commonsense to wear one without the government saying so, felt
that you were INVULNERABLE.

All of these things mandated and maintained by government and the
bureaucracy that you hate so much has been completely useless to you.

Again, a great, giant leap off of nowhere. To oppose any government mandate
does NOT equate to opposing ALL government mandates.

My hat is off to you and your uniqueness. I'm truly envious of your
exempt status in this universe. Too bad we're not all so lucky.

(You're so full of crap it's putrefying)

I left that in so that we could all enjoy your wit.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:30 PM

Upscale wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
passed onto the consumer, it won't be absorbed by the manufacturer.
Thus, your argument that this is a PROFIT issue on the part of the
manufacturers is flaccid.

Bull****! The cost of the product passed onto the consumer has a
direct effect on how many consumers decide to actually buy that
product. That effects their bottom line, AKA PROFITS. Are you really
that stupid to think otherwise? God, what type of moron are you?

If every manufacturer is mandated to have the Sawstop, then the consumer is
faced with ALL products have the same percentage rise in costs. If a
consumer wants to buy a tablesaw, he'll have to pay the price increase
regardless. Do ya get it now?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Upscale September 11th 06 09:31 PM

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Excellent. Yes I would love to see that picture, please post it. I serve

on
the Governor's Injury Prevention Task-Force, and it may be worth sharing.

I'll scan it and post it in ABPW. Hope it's useful to you.

Well, thanks for making several folk's point. That users have the ability

virtually eliminate severe injury when using WhirlySharps, but they choose
to ignore the safety gear and techniques available to them.

Ok, you've completely lost me with that statement.

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 09:35 PM

wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
The operation of power equip is solely in the hands of the operator.
Follow procedure and you won't be injured...period.

Same stupid impossible statement. NOBODY follows procedure perfectly EVERY
time. It's not humanely possible. Are you going to deny that some of the
safest people have never been injured? Accidents happen. That's why they're
called accidents.

OK, fine, but you're splitting hairs. I think you understand the point
I'm making. But, in the fairness of the debate I'll agree that nobody
follows exact procedure 100% of the time. But obviously that just goes
to show that one can even be a bit sloppy and still not have problems.
Think about Ed's point way up there at the top - -just around his
neighborhood there are a half dozen saws. So, while 55,000 injuries
sounds like a big number we have to consider that there are millions
of T/S out there. It just goes to demonstrate that injuries happen to
the arrogant - those that either don't understand procedure or those
who don't care to follow such..

I find it hard to understand how you're so down on Gass who might be
attempting to mandate his product which will save people from injury, while
at the same time, you're supporting the collection of manufacturers who
initially refused to endorse his product because it would cost them profits
even though injuries will continue. What you're saying is that it's ok for
manufacturer's to make profit even though more injuries are being caused,
but not ok for Gass to make a profit while preventing injuries. Is that it?
You're supporting injuries to continue because you don't like how someone
goes about making a profit?

You're looking at it in reverse. As the good doc pointed out, the
injuries are resultant of careless operation, not due to the lack of a
device.

I'm not that down on him, just his methods. Obviously, the company is
doing poorly. Be honest, if the SS item was flying of the shelf he
would be content. I would guess that his business plan is in serious
peril and thus the last ditch effort to save the company by using the
back door. You can imagine the costs involved in tooling up for Mfg -
huge! My guess is that his efforts will result in higher standards of
safety on these and other machines. However, I believe that will
happen w/o his technology at the forefront. So, if you are correct, he
will be happy if the standards get raised even if nobody else needs
his technology. Frankly, I think you are being a bit naive on this
point about his true intentions. Not that I blame him, but lets call a
spade a spade.

Upscale September 11th 06 09:36 PM

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

How so? If anything, the costs and disabilities and death due to longterm
degenerative disease is FAR more onerous than WhirlySharp injuries.

Very likely true, but not as immediately costing and the expense of sudden
catastrophic injuries can't be planned for over the long term nearly as well
as for those degenerative diseases.

And yes, I fully realize that eventually, the point might be reached where
even long term planning will not be sufficient to pay for what's needed.

Upscale September 11th 06 09:38 PM

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

If every manufacturer is mandated to have the Sawstop, then the consumer

is
faced with ALL products have the same percentage rise in costs. If a
consumer wants to buy a tablesaw, he'll have to pay the price increase
regardless. Do ya get it now?

And fewer consumers will buy. So, profits will go down. Does that make any
sense to you at all?

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:42 PM

Upscale wrote:

Very likely true, but not as immediately costing and the expense of
sudden catastrophic injuries can't be planned for over the long term
nearly as well as for those degenerative diseases.

And yes, I fully realize that eventually, the point might be reached
where even long term planning will not be sufficient to pay for
what's needed.

But, these degenerative disease costs are hitting us now from what was
generated in the past 10 years and before. And the expense, to both dollars
and productivity, keep ocurring now and into the future. Are you saying that
the cost of say, cardiovascular disease or diabetes, is less today than the
cost of whirlysharp injuries?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

The Other Funk September 11th 06 09:45 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Finding the keyboard operational
Dave Bugg entered:

Upscale wrote:

I didn't say that, don't put words in my mouth. And, if what I read
about Sawstop's inventor, those were not his first actions. I'm much
more inclined to believe the talk that the manufacturer's attempted
to freeze him out because it would eat into their profits. After
that, anything goes in my books.

Where is it written that any manufacturer is obligated to incorporate
any specific technology into their product? Saw manufacturers are
certainly entitled to take a pass on Sawstop, regardless of reason.
Wow, big conspiracy.

Seat belts, air bags and catalytic converters on cars. Burst disks on
pressurized gas tanks. GFIs on portable air conditioners. Deadman devices on
lawnmowers. Childproof caps on medicines.
That's all I could come up with in 5 minutes.
Bob
--?
--?
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 09:46 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:48:47 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

[...]

Can we crush this silly, unparallel comparison to seat belt in an
auto.

For the 3rd or 4th time. When I drive out on the streets, I wear a SB
*only* due to the risk posed by other drivers. Safe operation of a TS
is wholly in the hands of the operator.
Find another comparison as that one does not work.

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:46 PM

Upscale wrote:

And fewer consumers will buy. So, profits will go down. Does that
make any sense to you at all?

And yet cost increases are a common occurence in virtually all segments of
manufacturing, but growth in sales still continue. There is no reason to
believe, nor have you supplied direct evidence to support your supposition,
that tablesaw sales would go down. So no, your thoughts on the matter make
no sense.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Upscale September 11th 06 09:47 PM

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
huge! My guess is that his efforts will result in higher standards of
safety on these and other machines. However, I believe that will
happen w/o his technology at the forefront. So, if you are correct, he
will be happy if the standards get raised even if nobody else needs
his technology. Frankly, I think you are being a bit naive on this
point about his true intentions. Not that I blame him, but lets call a
spade a spade.

In all honesty, I think it's reached the point where it will not be
mandated, because it won't be necessary. Robin at Lee Valley has admitted
that they're replacing all their table saws with Sawstops. I believe he
explained it as being a necessary business decision based on cost to not do
otherwise - re. possible insurance repercussions. Please correct me if I'm
wrong there Robin. So, I have to assume it's going to become a major part of
the industry anyway, probably sooner than later. Right, now this is Canadian
I'm talking about, but I don't think there's so much difference between
Canada and the USA as far as insurance goes.

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 09:49 PM

wrote:

But, I attribute 99% of that luck
to the fact that I was wearing a standard seat belt ~ a seat belt that I
wouldn't have been wearing without laws to mandate it.

It sounds like YOU really do need a nanny government. Some of us
don't.
My Jeep rollover was harmless too but I had my seatbelt fastened and
it wasn't a law then. Some of us can be safe without a government
mandate.

Exactly! If I want a device that allows me to operate a TS outside of
procedure and still be safe, fine. But, if I prefer to follow
procedure, use caution, respect the machine then I don't need this
device and I don't want the Gov telling me that I do.

Dave Bugg September 11th 06 09:52 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

The Other Funk wrote:

Dave Bugg entered:

Where is it written that any manufacturer is obligated to incorporate
any specific technology into their product? Saw manufacturers are
certainly entitled to take a pass on Sawstop, regardless of reason.
Wow, big conspiracy.

Seat belts, air bags and catalytic converters on cars. Burst disks on
pressurized gas tanks. GFIs on portable air conditioners. Deadman
devices on lawnmowers. Childproof caps on medicines.
That's all I could come up with in 5 minutes.

Bob, the argument was centered around the obligation of a manufacturer to
purchase a non-mandated technology from a developer. I wasn't arguing that
the government had never required the implementation of a technology by an
industry. I'm afraid that you misread the context of my post :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

The Other Funk September 11th 06 09:53 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Finding the keyboard operational
Edwin Pawlowski entered:

About a year ago, one of the auto manufacturers (maybe Mercedes?) was
getting advertising mileage by stating they gave away the technology
for safety devices. Details don't seem to be stored in the brain
cells right now.

Several years ago, Volvo had a commercial about all the safety features they
developed and patented but they never enforced the patents. In other words
they gave the technology away for free. Noble, right? How many cars do you
think they sold based on that commercial? More then enough to pay for the
commercial?
Bob

--?
--?

Upscale September 11th 06 09:59 PM

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

But, these degenerative disease costs are hitting us now from what was
generated in the past 10 years and before. And the expense, to both

dollars
and productivity, keep occurring now and into the future. Are you saying

that
the cost of say, cardiovascular disease or diabetes, is less today than

the
cost of whirlysharp injuries?

So you're fine to accuse me of ridiculous comparisons, but you feel free to
use them yourself? Grow up, you know damned well I suggested no such
comparison.

Let me ask you. Knowing what you know now about increasing diabetes and
cardiovascular disease, if one single mandate could have been enacted 30
years ago that would effectively and selectively eliminated the bulk of
these conditions, would you still say it was undesirable? Knowing all the
misery and strife that these two conditions have caused to our society,
would you still be sticking to your "no government involvement"?

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 10:02 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:14:53 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
passed onto the consumer, it won't be absorbed by the manufacturer. Thus,
your argument that this is a PROFIT issue on the part of the manufacturers
is flaccid.

Bull****! The cost of the product passed onto the consumer has a direct
effect on how many consumers decide to actually buy that product. That
effects their bottom line, AKA PROFITS. Are you really that stupid to think
otherwise? God, what type of moron are you?

Same kind as me...:)

Upscale September 11th 06 10:07 PM

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Can we crush this silly, unparallel comparison to seat belt in an
auto.

For the 3rd or 4th time. When I drive out on the streets, I wear a SB
*only* due to the risk posed by other drivers. Safe operation of a TS
is wholly in the hands of the operator.
Find another comparison as that one does not work.

So, my running my car at 60 MPH into a concrete light post with no other
drivers involved fails to qualify? And you consider your driving to be so
perfect that it's impossible for you to make a mistake, any accident is
*always* going to be caused by someone else?

Again, I'm jealous of your place in the world. I'm sure if you really
thought about it, you'd realize that whatever reasons you've chosen to use a
seat belt, this government mandated piece of equipment benefits you. While
some may argue against how something came to be utilized in our society, you
can't argue against the fact that in cases like we're discussing, it was
done to increase our safety. Isn't that what's most important here, to
prevent injury?

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 10:10 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:47:35 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I don't know Robin and based on the business he has built he's
surely made some sound business decisions, but I feel he is wrong
here. A few quarters will tell...year on year sell through.
And, while I am not a lawyer, I don't think retailers are culpable in
liability cases....(?)

Joe Bemier September 11th 06 10:14 PM

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:07:30 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Can we crush this silly, unparallel comparison to seat belt in an
auto.

For the 3rd or 4th time. When I drive out on the streets, I wear a SB
*only* due to the risk posed by other drivers. Safe operation of a TS
is wholly in the hands of the operator.
Find another comparison as that one does not work.

So, my running my car at 60 MPH into a concrete light post with no other
drivers involved fails to qualify? And you consider your driving to be so
perfect that it's impossible for you to make a mistake, any accident is
*always* going to be caused by someone else?

My point above is illustrative. I always wear a SB and always will
whether I have to or not.
Your accident (sorry to hear about that) is a rare event based on the
circumstances you detail. there must have been some mitigating
factor(s)....?