Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is Shellac OK on kids toys?

I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with
shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each.
Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on.
I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Cheers Tana
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tana" wrote in message
u...
I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with
shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each.
Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on.
I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Cheers Tana

Sure is. To give you an idea of how safe it is, some pills and candies are
coated with shellac. Shellac is a excretive of the Lac beetle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Tana" wrote in message
u...
I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with
shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each.
Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on.
I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Cheers Tana

Sure is. To give you an idea of how safe it is, some pills and candies are
coated with shellac. Shellac is a excretive of the Lac beetle.

That makes me feel better as I have sold a few now.
Thanks Tana
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any fully cured finish is child safe.
Well, anything in common use; Chinese black lacquer might not be, as it is
closely related to poison ivy.

"Tana" wrote in message
u...
I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with
shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each.
Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on.
I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Cheers Tana

Posted to rec.woodworking

I used to drink shellac thinner when I was a kid, and look at me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Any fully cured finish is child safe.

That's arguable for metal-dried oils, particularly old lead-dried oils
and maybe even the modern cobalt driers (we could see formula changes
in the next few years, because of this concern).

It's certainly untrue for many of the old metallic pigments, such as
red or white lead and chrome yellows and greens.

Well, anything in common use; Chinese black lacquer might not be, as it is
closely related to poison ivy.

Urushiol lacquers are perfectly safe, once they're cured. However I
doubt they'd last well!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, considering that it's used to coat some medicines, some
candy, and some chewable kids' toys - yes.

Unless the wood is bad for kids.

only if it falls on the darlings.
Tana
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
They coat M&Ms with it. Good enough?

"Tana" wrote in message
u...
I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with
shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each.
Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on.
I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Cheers Tana

yup good enuff for me
Tana
Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:
I used to drink shellac thinner when I was a kid, and look at me!

Please don't post photos!
Tana

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Toller wrote:

Any fully cured finish is child safe.

That's arguable for metal-dried oils, particularly old lead-dried oils
and maybe even the modern cobalt driers (we could see formula changes
in the next few years, because of this concern).

It's certainly untrue for many of the old metallic pigments, such as
red or white lead and chrome yellows and greens.

The old metallic pigments and lead dried oils are in common use? Where are
you?

Well, anything in common use; Chinese black lacquer might not be, as it
is
closely related to poison ivy.

Urushiol lacquers are perfectly safe, once they're cured. However I
doubt they'd last well!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Any fully cured finish is child safe.

The old metallic pigments and lead dried oils are in common use? Where are
you?

I didn't say "common", you said "all".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tana wrote:

I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with
shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each.
Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on.
I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Cheers Tana

Ever eat M&Ms?

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tana wrote:
boorite wrote:
I used to drink shellac thinner when I was a kid, and look at me!

Please don't post photos!

They'd look kinda like this:

d:-B