DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best screws for attaching 1-1/2" oak ballisters to oak ? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/174513-best-screws-attaching-1-1-2-oak-ballisters-oak.html)

Lance September 1st 06 03:55 PM

Best screws for attaching 1-1/2" oak ballisters to oak ?

I need to attach 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square oak ballisters to the outside of a
1-1/2" x 12" oak stringer (interior open-riser stairs). I'll use a Fuller
drill/countersink to drill the ballisters, predrill the stringer, and use a
Fuller plug cutter for plugs to hide the screws.

I'm looking at the #10 (or #12) x 2-1/2" FSL screws from McFeely's (sq
drive). Are these the best screws for the job (one of the highest torque
values to prevent snapping)? Would #12 be better than the #10's in this
case?

Thanks for any advice,
-Lance

#10's in this case?

Thanks for any advice,
-Lance

Call McFeeley's. They'll know, and tell you.

Patriarch

dadiOH September 1st 06 07:50 PM

Lance wrote:
I need to attach 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square oak ballisters to the
outside of a 1-1/2" x 12" oak stringer (interior open-riser
stairs). I'll use a Fuller drill/countersink to drill the
ballisters, predrill the stringer, and use a Fuller plug cutter
for plugs to hide the screws.

I'm looking at the #10 (or #12) x 2-1/2" FSL screws from McFeely's
(sq drive). Are these the best screws for the job (one of the
highest torque values to prevent snapping)? Would #12 be better
than the #10's in this case?

Steel screws will corrode in and discolor oak. Use bronze or
stainless steel. Brass is a weaker alternative. Bronze and brass
(especially) screws should be tightened by hand...OK to power drive a
steel one, remove and replace.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...