Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Boards inspired By Wood Magazine.

I posted a couple of pictures on a.b.p.w. of cutting boards that I built in
the last couple of days. The latest Wood magazine has the details.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I posted a couple of pictures on a.b.p.w. of cutting boards that I built in
the last couple of days. The latest Wood magazine has the details.

You work fast! I just finished reading that issue. What kind of wood
did you use and did you encounter any problems?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Leon wrote:
I posted a couple of pictures on a.b.p.w. of cutting boards that I built
in
the last couple of days. The latest Wood magazine has the details.

You work fast! I just finished reading that issue. What kind of wood
did you use and did you encounter any problems?

Cherry, Walnut, and Maple.

The only problem I ran into was with the results of gluing the 3 sections
separately. Because you are using a lot of moisture in the glue to glue
this all together the center tends to want to bulge out between the ends.
This resulted in the sides not being flat and would not glue together.
Placing a third clamp in the center did not resolve this problem. I ended
up having to use a cross cut sled to make the mating glue surfaces straight
again. No big deal.
The solution would be to glue all the piece together at one time. The
problem with that would be the pieces 20 pieces slipping and moving around
as you apply pressure.

If I make another I will probably do the glue up all at one time and use a
brad nailer to hold the pieces into position before clamping.

The flatter your end result, the less sanding you will have to do. I spent
about 15 minutes on each side with 80 grit sand paper and a ROS.

My Fein Multimaster and its scraper blade worked great for quickly removing
the beads of squeeze out glue along each row. before sanding.

Other than that, it was a simple and fun project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Do you think a jig similar to this one would help gluing it all at
once?

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip011221wb.html

Replacing the hardboard cleats with thicker material and using bar
clamps and a caul to pull all of the pieces toward the corner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do you think a jig similar to this one would help gluing it all at
once?

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip011221wb.html

Replacing the hardboard cleats with thicker material and using bar
clamps and a caul to pull all of the pieces toward the corner.

Yes, that would probably work well. Anything to prevent movement as you
apply pressure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

My Fein Multimaster and its scraper blade worked great for quickly

removing
the beads of squeeze out glue along each row. before sanding.

Nice drive-by! Congratulations ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you use dowels in this project?

--
Roger Shoaf

"Leon" wrote in message
om...
I posted a couple of pictures on a.b.p.w. of cutting boards that I built

in
the last couple of days. The latest Wood magazine has the details.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Did you use dowels in this project?

NO.