Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A thank you to Roy Underhil from a new Dad

Back in March I become a Dad, and as things are now calming down I can
start doing more woodworking, with one problem, tools make noise, wake
baby up SWMBO becomes militant.

I have now found a solution, put baby in backpack(one made for caring
babies, Child services get upset if you use there other kind), and go to
work. I can't use power tools with the baby, he doesn't like the noise,
dust and I'm worried about the safety issue(can't find safety glasses
his size)

Growing up watching New Yankee, and Woodwright shop I admit I liked the
way Norm did things better, I like power tools; but Watching Roy build
some of the projects he did as fast as he did with out power tools just
amazed me. so over the years I've collected a number, mostly using them
for large projects, now I'm happy I can take what I leaned from Roy and
use it. Baby's happy(he likes the back pack), SWMBO is happy to get a
break from the baby(new stay at home mom, still adjusting), and I'm
happy(I get to do woodworking, I get to spend time with my Son doing
woodworking, granted at 5 months he doesn't contribute much, and SWMBO
isn't threating to kill me, because if mama isn't happy, NO BODY is happy)

So thank you Roy

Richard Clements

Posted to rec.woodworking

Enjoy the baby, let him/her smell wood from as early as possible and
stay away from angry moms! They're more dangerous than lightly fastened
router bits!
Enjoy the new family member!

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Richard Clements wrote:
I have now found a solution, put baby in backpack(one made for caring
babies,

I don't think it's a good idea to have a kid in a backpack while using
handtools.
It's a potentially huge distraction. Wouldn't want the kid to suddenly
scream and have that cutting tool slip.

Can't you put the kid in a seat while you watch him?

Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:
Richard Clements wrote:
I have now found a solution, put baby in backpack(one made for caring
babies,

I don't think it's a good idea to have a kid in a backpack while using
handtools.
It's a potentially huge distraction. Wouldn't want the kid to suddenly
scream and have that cutting tool slip.

Can't you put the kid in a seat while you watch him?

I have a jumparoo (kinda like the old johnny jumper, only it has it's
own stand) but he doesn't like it as much. but I haven't had any
problem with him screaming or anything in the backpack and if noise is
an issue, he makes more noise in the jumparoo then the pack by far, in
some way's I do better, take more time, pay more attention to how I'm
setting stuff up
Posted to rec.woodworking

As the father of twins now 6 years old I often thought of new ideas that
would help the harried parent. One idea I thought would be good was a large
version of a hamster ball...

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

As the father of twins now 6 years old I often thought of new ideas that
would help the harried parent. One idea I thought would be good was a
large
version of a hamster ball...

Seems like a good idea until the ball starts to head downstairs...

Back in March I become a Dad, and as things are now calming down I can
start doing more woodworking, with one problem, tools make noise, wake
baby up SWMBO becomes militant.

I suggest you get back to running the power tools as soon as you can. I
never stopped when my children were born and it was never a problem. Maybe
your child is different from mine (how could that be?!), but infants are
pretty good at adapting once their needs are met.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wish I had discovered how to tune a handplane long ago, as my
daughters crib would have gotten finished, and I'm STILL hearing about
it (she's almost 11).

However, you DO need to make noise so the baby sleeps harder. Went
through hell with that scenario, but number2, with No1 in the room, he
slept through the noise.

Alan