Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking mags

As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are into power tools, and jigs and fixtures that go with power
tools, try Woodsmith http://www.woodsmith.com/

For my money, if you can find the first 100 issues, or even the first 75
issues on CD it would be well worth the money. Lots of very good articles
in the early years of the magazine. Long, well written, and very coherent
articles.
Be aware, that some of the info from the early years may be dated by now.

I am not putting down the current magazine. It is still well written, and
the graphics
and drawings are excellent. By the way, my local Lowe's has Woodsmith on
the
racks when an issue comes out.

As a beginner in the hobby, it is very easy to read a Woodsmith article,
look at the
drawings and graphics, and think "I Can DO this!!!! Wrong. Stick with just
building the jigs and fixtures until you understand Woodsmith lingo and how
the
articles are written. Step 2 thru step 3 may be most of a Saturday
afternoon.
This is not a hit on your woodworking skills, it is about how woodworking
magazines
compromise between 15 year veterans and newbie's in writing their articles.

Phil

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "Rick Samuel" who stated:

As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

F ine
W ood
W orking

is the one I've always subscribed to over the years -- even back
before I even did any woodworking!

It always inspires me, even when I know my skills fall short in so
many ways.

I like it so well, I've even bought back issues on eBay so I now have
the entire set from the first issue to the current one . . . .

(Someday when I get a Round Tuit, I MUST make proper wooden sleeves to
replace the cardboard ones that house the collection now.)

-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil-in-MI wrote:
If you are into power tools, and jigs and fixtures that go with power
tools, try Woodsmith http://www.woodsmith.com/

For my money, if you can find the first 100 issues, or even the first 75
issues on CD it would be well worth the money. Lots of very good articles
in the early years of the magazine. Long, well written, and very coherent
articles.
Be aware, that some of the info from the early years may be dated by now.

It's surprising how much, and how little, woodworking has changed - at
least the magazines. Last year I picked up a couple or three hundred
woodworking magazines from the 70's and 80's at a garage sale, and
about a hundred plans, for five bucks. Paper gloat? Anyway, the
sophistication of the publishing and the power tools have changed quite
a bit, but the bulk of the stuff was still spot on. No surprise
really. The thing that got me was the Tips sections. There were tips
in the old magazines that I've seen in much more recent magazines, and
someone got paid for submitting the tip both times. Maybe there's a
business there - submitting tips from old magazines and getting paid
for your "originality".

Most of the woodworking magazines have something to offer and which one
best suits your needs is dependent on your woodworking skills - and
whether or not you can live without four color printing. Check out
some of the magazines at libraries and large bookstores like Borders or
Barnes & Noble. You'll want a magazine that's a little over your head
so you'll learn, but not too much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:

As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two.

Fine Woodworking.

You won't understand it, but keep reading. Soon you'll start to be
inspired by it. After a few years you might even get to start arguing
with it. 8-)

My ambition used to be to get a piece illustrated in it. Now it's to
write for it.

If you're in the UK, then Good Woodworking is a very good mag about
entry-level woodworking. Read it at first, but you ought to grow out of
it pretty soon.

Best UK mag is Furniture and Cabinet Making.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick:

Chosing which WW magazines to read/use, is pretty much
an individual choice.

There is a lot of positives about Fine WoodWorking. My library
has a copies of it, perhaps yours does as well, to see how
you like it. Some say that the black and white (no color) picture
volumes where the best. Not sure about that, but often
the articles were written by now the senior woodworkers
like Maloof, Krenov, etc. These older articles are available
in the hardbound books that frequently are remaindered in
my area or perhaps on Amazon. Tends to have more serious
projects for a beginner. The annual workshop issues are
great. (around DEC/JAN).

American Woodworker has it's ups and downs. A couple of
years ago, it was taken over by the Reader's Digest group.
No offense to them, but the projects sort of "sucked" for
awhile. Now, after about 5 years, they're doing pretty good.

Wood Magazine - the first "popular" magazine from the
Meridith Group - Family Handyman is one of theirs - and
I think Better Homes and Garden. Good generally, lots
of articles on woodworkers in general. I like their easy
projects.

Woodsmith/Shop Notes- two of the finest magazines around.
Shop Notes has articles on building stuff for your workshop,
jigs/fixtures/machines, etc. Woodsmith concentrates on
the furniture. I read these two alot.

Router magazine - one word - NO. Hasn't yet lived up to
what it should be. A reprint of an English publication.

Woodworker's Journal - owned by Rockler now, and the
projects are hit and miss. More miss. The older issues
of about 4 or so years ago where more interesting.

Workbench - use to be ok and now, it's falling off my favorite
reads. Articles tend to be things like - replacing a deck or
building a patio. Not woodworking.

Woodcraft - a good, but still young magazine owned
by Woodcraft. Good articles but still hasn't become my
all time favorite.

Woodwork - some have said that this is the premier
magazine. Really oriented towards the pro - tho beginners
might find some use of it. I started to read it again
after the editor stopped by our club and talked about
what he things the magazine is. Great articles on woodworkers
and some projects.

And finally - one of the best all round - Popular Woodworking -
this is one magazine that I would have to say, year after year,
has offered up some great projects. I have used it over and
over and treasure each of my copies. Easy to understand
and a variety of shop and furniture projects. A great magazine!

If you're a carver or interested in carving there are other
mags out there as well as for the scroll saw users. Can't
vouch for them, as I don't do either.

What I would do, is what I did - just start buying an issue
at time (if you can afford it) of the following:
Fine Woodworking/Popular Woodworker/Shop Notes
and Woodsmith. See if you find them interesting and
easy to follow. I'd also throw in Wood in there as well.

Each of these magazines have their own websites
and so you probably can get a good sense of their
projects/article just by logging into the sites
and poking around.

Good luck and reading!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:28:29 -0500, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

I like Shopnotes and Fine Woodworking. Taunton Press publications are
usually good. I prefer books but mags tell about new stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

I get a couple of them.

The premier magazine is Fine Woodworking. While it is over my head
skill-wise, it is a good inspiration

I find that Wood has some fairly simple plans and projects that a beginner
can tackle with good results using just modest tools and techniques.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Especially Rocodjour's on getting something a
bit over my head, so I'll learn something. Good point.

Nobody has mentioned Woodworking Magazine. Something there for all skill
levels, ad free, excellent writing. Somewhat hard to find and the schedule
of issues is not real apparent, but well worth the search. I typically find
my copy in Lowes. No subscriptions yet, but I'll sign on if they go that
way.

Take a look at their web site:

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/

and check out the sample article.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

After subscribing to pretty much all of them at once for a while I'm down to
Fine Woodworking, Woodwork, and Popular Woodworking. I get other magazines
such as Fine Homebuilding, Journal of Light Construction, and Tools of the
Trade but they have a different focus, namely home construction and
design--which means my house will NEVER be done. ;~) All the rest of the
woodworking magazines are gone...

Fine Woodworking often features projects and tool comparisons and is the
bench-mark magazine for many woodworkers. Lots of power tool stuff with some
handtool stuff.

Woodwork is eclectic and is a good source for ideas. I like the interviews
with studio furniture makers and turners and appreciate that friends and
associates show up in it regularly (and they printed an e-mail I sent them
;~) ). Power and hand tool
stuff and some articles by former rec participants.

Popular Woodworking has taken on the role of offering articles on handtool
skill development and debunking much of the Normite mentality that you NEED
lots of big iron to do woodworking. They do have power tool articles but
they don't overpower the handtool articles (pun intended) like many
magazines. The editor is an interesting guy whom I've engaged in
conversation a few times in person and via e-mail. One discussion in
particular was pretty neat as Tom Lie-Nielson was the third participant... I
like the relatively new Arts & Mysteries series as it brings old knowledge
back to life--a Roy Underhill approach to the world that brings back
memories of my time working at Colonial Williamsburg, VA as a skilled craft
interpreter.

What I'm not after is plans for making push sticks, extension cord
organizers, small stock organizers, etc... common fair in some of the
magazines. I'm also not looking for dimensioned plans as I interpret
furniture and apply design principles such as golden rectangle to my work.
Personally, I've got big iron and nice handtools and freely wander between
camps within and across projects. Teaching my boys how to make things has
encouraged me to expand my skills with handtools--NO way am I letting an 8
year old loose on a 3 HP cabinet saw or 8" jointer... but using a rip panel
saw to resaw a board and L-N plane surface it is another story.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

I'm new to this also and as you can see the old-timers like FWW (I've
never read it). I've read a few so here are my thoughts.

Woodowrkers Journal - decent mag but I dropped them after they started
sending books to my house that I never ordered.

American Woodworker - LOTS of advertisements.

Wood Magazine - As a newbie my favorite so far. Easy to read with
projects that I could actually build. Helpful tips in each issue.
Lots of tool comparisons.

Shop Notes - Great for jigs, storage, tool modifications/enhancements.
Definitely worth the money for someone starting out.

Workbench - Somehow I won a 'free' subscription to this magazine. When
the bill comes I won't be ordering it. One word, sucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

Shop Notes - Great for jigs, storage, tool modifications/enhancements.
Definitely worth the money for someone starting out.

Especially if you're into way overcomplicated, totally over thought,
Rube Goldberg devices. Fun to build, interesting to look at, but often
a waste of time.

I like Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking. Wood Magazine is often
good for much simpler jigs than Shop Notes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
As a sorta new ww (cobbler) been thinking about subscribing to a magazine
or two. I know many of ya'll have mentioned they get old with time, but I
haven't seen but a few issues. Any recommendations, or any to stay away
from. Adversitising is not a big issue with me, one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

I would recommend heading down to the Leebrary or your local bookstores
and doing a bit of browsing. A few will make sense to a new ww and
several won't.
mahalo,
jo4hn