Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rip question on table saw

This may seem a basic question but the answer eludes me. I want to rip
a piece of crown moulding on my table saw to narrow it but I want to
retain the same 52 degree slope angle (or bevel). Notwithstanging that
I can't bevel my craftsman saw to even 45 degrees, how do I get to
bevel this moulding to 52 dgrees?

Thanks for any help.

Rocky

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Aug 2006 18:03:08 -0700, "Rocky" wrote:

This may seem a basic question but the answer eludes me. I want to rip
a piece of crown moulding on my table saw to narrow it but I want to
retain the same 52 degree slope angle (or bevel). Notwithstanging that
I can't bevel my craftsman saw to even 45 degrees, how do I get to
bevel this moulding to 52 dgrees?

Complementary angles are your friends. Learn to think in those terms
and all kinds of good solutions will present themselves to you in the
future.

Bob gave you the specific answer, but you'll run into this often
enough in the shop that you'll want to study on the concept so you can
adapt it to other problems.

For example, say you need to put a nice 160 degree angle on the end of
your pointy stick. How do you do that on your miter saw? Can't turn
the table to 80 degrees.

Just put a 90 degree block on the table, turn the saw to 10 degrees,
place the stick against the block, perpendicular to the fence and
slice away. Flip the stick over and cut the other half of the point.
Voila! 160 degree point.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Complementary angles are your friends. Learn to think in those terms
and all kinds of good solutions will present themselves to you in the
future.

Bob gave you the specific answer, but you'll run into this often
enough in the shop that you'll want to study on the concept so you can
adapt it to other problems.

For example, say you need to put a nice 160 degree angle on the end of
your pointy stick. How do you do that on your miter saw? Can't turn
the table to 80 degrees.

Just put a 90 degree block on the table, turn the saw to 10 degrees,
place the stick against the block, perpendicular to the fence and
slice away. Flip the stick over and cut the other half of the point.
Voila! 160 degree point.

--
LRod

Thanks to all who responded. The help is appreciated.

I have tried the using an angled block as a jig on my miter saw to get
angles greater than 45 degrees and it works. It does make for some
interesting challenges to hold the stock while cutting however.