Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planer leaking Oil

I have a Central Machinery 10" planer that I picked up at a garage sale
a few months ago. So far it has worked well for me. However, this
weekend I was squaring up a lot of wood for a workbench top and noticed
the planer was leaking oil on the left side of the machine. This was
the most continuous cutting I've done done with it, but I have not
noticed a leak before. It leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should look at to fix this? It
may be a while before I can replace it with a better quality machine,
so I need to keep this one alive for a while longer.

Thanks,
Richard

Here is a picture of the machine:

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:

I have a Central Machinery 10" planer that I picked up at a garage sale
a few months ago. So far it has worked well for me. However, this
weekend I was squaring up a lot of wood for a workbench top and noticed
the planer was leaking oil on the left side of the machine. This was
the most continuous cutting I've done done with it, but I have not
noticed a leak before. It leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should look at to fix this? It
may be a while before I can replace it with a better quality machine,
so I need to keep this one alive for a while longer.

Thanks,
Richard

Here is a picture of the machine:

The unit has sealed bearings and a light coating of grease on the table
support rods, each end of the cutter head, the drive chain and the table
height chain.

If you've found 1/4 cup of oil on the left side of the planer start
looking overhead for what's dripping?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Central Machinery 10" planer that I picked up at a garage sale
a few months ago. So far it has worked well for me. However, this
weekend I was squaring up a lot of wood for a workbench top and noticed
the planer was leaking oil on the left side of the machine. This was
the most continuous cutting I've done done with it, but I have not
noticed a leak before. It leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should look at to fix this? It
may be a while before I can replace it with a better quality machine,
so I need to keep this one alive for a while longer.

Thanks,
Richard

Here is a picture of the machine:

I doubt that (I hesitate to call it a machine) planer could not possibly
have oil in it. It only has pre-greased bearings. Look for other sources
of the oil. Maybe wet wood?

I have a Jet 12" planer that has planed 1000's of board feet with zero
problems (other that new blades). I've have decided to replace it as soon
as it breaks. But then again, that was three years ago. It was only $300+.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "Richard" wrote:
I have a Central Machinery 10" planer that I picked up at a garage sale
a few months ago. So far it has worked well for me. However, this
weekend I was squaring up a lot of wood for a workbench top and noticed
the planer was leaking oil on the left side of the machine. This was
the most continuous cutting I've done done with it, but I have not
noticed a leak before. It leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil.

Doubtful that there was 1/4 cup of oil in it to begin with, or indeed any oil
at all.

I'm betting that:
a) your shop is in your basement;
b) your household includes a dog or small boy; and
c) that ain't oil that dripped onto your planer from the floor above.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Doubtful that there was 1/4 cup of oil in it to begin with, or indeed any oil
at all.

I'm betting that:
a) your shop is in your basement;
b) your household includes a dog or small boy; and
c) that ain't oil that dripped onto your planer from the floor above.

I have a basement shop and two golden retrievers. When the youngest
golden was a puppy it liked the spot in the foyer directly over my new
cabinet saw ;-(

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think you hit the nail on the head. I could understand a small amount
of grease building up, but the large amount of oil had me worried that
something serious was wrong. I knew when I bought it that it wasn't the
best planer, but I couldn't figure what in the planer would even hold
that much oil.

It didn't occur to me to blame the wood for the mess, but I'm sure that
is exactly what it is. The wood I was using was salvaged from a large
construction site many years ago. The wood was used for some roofing in
the Nike Campus in Oregon. It was treated with oil. On the surface,
this wood is in pretty bad shape, but inside it is in great shape. I
ended up with a bunch of it, but this is the first time I tried to use
it for anything.

Thanks for all the help!
Richard

Teamcasa wrote:

I doubt that (I hesitate to call it a machine) planer could not possibly
have oil in it. It only has pre-greased bearings. Look for other sources
of the oil. Maybe wet wood?

I have a Jet 12" planer that has planed 1000's of board feet with zero
problems (other that new blades). I've have decided to replace it as soon
as it breaks. But then again, that was three years ago. It was only $300+.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I use the planer, I am outside in front of my shop, so I know the
mess came from the planer - this time, at least. To put things in
perspective, when I was cleaning up, my 4 year old son came running out
fo the house totally naked to help me put the tools away. Consiquently,
I would not be surprised by just about any mess I find around the house

Thanks,
Richard

Nova wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Doubtful that there was 1/4 cup of oil in it to begin with, or indeed any oil
at all.

I'm betting that:
a) your shop is in your basement;
b) your household includes a dog or small boy; and
c) that ain't oil that dripped onto your planer from the floor above.

I have a basement shop and two golden retrievers. When the youngest
golden was a puppy it liked the spot in the foyer directly over my new
cabinet saw ;-(

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
Richard wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head. I could understand a small amount
of grease building up, but the large amount of oil had me worried that
something serious was wrong. I knew when I bought it that it wasn't the
best planer, but I couldn't figure what in the planer would even hold
that much oil.

It didn't occur to me to blame the wood for the mess, but I'm sure that
is exactly what it is. The wood I was using was salvaged from a large
construction site many years ago. The wood was used for some roofing in
the Nike Campus in Oregon. It was treated with oil. On the surface,
this wood is in pretty bad shape, but inside it is in great shape. I
ended up with a bunch of it, but this is the first time I tried to use
it for anything.

sounds like one of those machines they use to extract olive oil from
olives
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your manual calls for putting grease on the bottom chain under the planner.
It also calls for oiling the drive chains (lightly). Since this is a used
machine I would check everything that moves and give it a shot of WD 40 to
see if it has any grease on it and then reoil or grease as needed per the
manual. You can download the manual from HF's website. There was no gear
box that I could see on the item, but check for one anyway just to be sure
that you don't have one that is leaking. Sounds to me like some one may
have over oiled the machine at some time. JMO for what it is worth
"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Central Machinery 10" planer that I picked up at a garage sale
a few months ago. So far it has worked well for me. However, this
weekend I was squaring up a lot of wood for a workbench top and noticed
the planer was leaking oil on the left side of the machine. This was
the most continuous cutting I've done done with it, but I have not
noticed a leak before. It leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should look at to fix this? It
may be a while before I can replace it with a better quality machine,
so I need to keep this one alive for a while longer.

Thanks,
Richard

Here is a picture of the machine:

New Jet 16" Planer JWP-160S Woodhead Woodworking 6 February 11th 06 01:43 AM
Planer or jointer? JustME Woodworking 20 January 2nd 06 06:44 PM
JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM