Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Purpose for Router Bits

I've a set of router bits that has a couple bits I don't know the use
or purpose of. What is a Core Box and Panel Pilot bits do and
how are they used? The Core Box looks like a small Cove bit.
The Panel Pilot bit is pointed with two small cutting edges flush
with the shaft.

TIA,

Thunder
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The core box is generally used for round bottom grooves. I recently made a
chalkboard. For the chalk holder, I routed grooves in the tray with a
corebox bit. The panel pilot bit is used when cutting a hole such as for an
outlet box in paneling. The point on the bit allows you to drill through the
panel without having to have a starting hole.

news