Posted to rec.woodworking

Default glue screw up

Water base Titebond type II yellow glue got smeared on my oak board. After
clean up and sand down the glue areas I apply an oil base clear coat but the
finish came out in big blotches (3" x 3" in couple of areas) where the glue
was embedded in the oak pores. Any fix ups other than feeding the board in
the planner and start the project over?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:07:27 -0700, "# Fred #"
wrote:

Water base Titebond type II yellow glue got smeared on my oak board. After
clean up and sand down the glue areas I apply an oil base clear coat but the
finish came out in big blotches (3" x 3" in couple of areas) where the glue
was embedded in the oak pores. Any fix ups other than feeding the board in
the planner and start the project over?

What I like to do with glue spots is to wet sand them. Apply some of
the finish to the area and hand sand until the spot goes away. You
may have to reapply the finish and sand more if the spot is deep. 3x3
is kind of big though, next time be a lil more careful with the glue

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

"# Fred #" wrote in
news
Water base Titebond type II yellow glue got smeared on my oak board.
After clean up and sand down the glue areas I apply an oil base clear
coat but the finish came out in big blotches (3" x 3" in couple of
areas) where the glue was embedded in the oak pores. Any fix ups other
than feeding the board in the planner and start the project over?

With red oak, it's likely planer time. Red oak is very absorbent, and has
sucked the glue down into its structure somewhat. Oil, also wanting to go
there, finds the parking place taken.

Lessons are learned every day.

Patriarch