Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jointer Blades How accurate?

I just sharpened and reset my jointer blades. I checked (dial caliper) that
the blades were level with the outfeed table and one blade is 0.001" above
and one is 0.002" below (the other is level).

Obviously having all at 0.000" above or below would be ideal, but I still
want to keep the little hair I have left on my head.

Do you think this is acceptable? Will I notice this when jointing?

I assume the highest blades will wear the fastest and maybe "catch-up" with
the low blades with use as they dull.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am referring to measurements at 'top-dead-center'. -Just in case there is
confusion.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 01:51:21 +0000, Stoutman wrote:

I just sharpened and reset my jointer blades. I checked (dial caliper) that
the blades were level with the outfeed table and one blade is 0.001" above
and one is 0.002" below (the other is level).

Obviously having all at 0.000" above or below would be ideal, but I still
want to keep the little hair I have left on my head.

Do you think this is acceptable? Will I notice this when jointing?

I assume the highest blades will wear the fastest and maybe "catch-up" with
the low blades with use as they dull.

I dunno nothin' 'bout settin no blades. But this guy does:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2983839096587014177&hl=en

--
-Joe Wells

"Here stands baseball's perfect warrior. Here stands baseball's perfect knight."
-Ford Frick upon Stan Musial's retirement

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Joe!

That guy sure is rough with his jointer! I'm not sure I would smack my
jointer knife with a wooden block while it was in the cutter head, but thats
just me!

I enjoyed his presentation though! Thank you.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I don't mean any offense by this so please don't take it that way. I am
responsible for training new hires at work (machine shop). I have been
machining for over twenty years. I am also told that I am a rather good
teacher but, it is the rare individual that I would trust to take a
measurement with dial calipers to that kind of accuracy. There are too many
things working against you in that situation. I would say that it is
probably closer than you can measure which is very well close enough. The
blades will wear .003 in very short order and they will even themselves up.
To set them any closer, I would recommend a dial indicator. Not totally goof
proof but, I don't see you as a goof either.

"Stoutman" [email protected] wrote in message ...
I just sharpened and reset my jointer blades. I checked (dial caliper)

that
the blades were level with the outfeed table and one blade is 0.001" above
and one is 0.002" below (the other is level).

Obviously having all at 0.000" above or below would be ideal, but I still
want to keep the little hair I have left on my head.

Do you think this is acceptable? Will I notice this when jointing?

I assume the highest blades will wear the fastest and maybe "catch-up"

with
the low blades with use as they dull.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
news
I don't mean any offense by this so please don't take it that way. I am
responsible for training new hires at work (machine shop). I have been
machining for over twenty years. I am also told that I am a rather good
teacher but, it is the rare individual that I would trust to take a
measurement with dial calipers to that kind of accuracy. There are too
many
things working against you in that situation. I would say that it is
probably closer than you can measure which is very well close enough. The
blades will wear .003 in very short order and they will even themselves
up.

Thats what I thought regarding the wear. Thanks!

To set them any closer, I would recommend a dial indicator. Not totally
goof
proof but, I don't see you as a goof either.

Yep, I used a dial indicator, not a dial caliper like I wrote!

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Darn it. I meant to say DIAL INDICATOR, not dial caliper!!!

Uggghhh!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

OK so you probably do have the measurements right. In any case, I would call
what you have close enough. Consider the magnitude of the error.
"Stoutman" [email protected] wrote in message ...
Darn it. I meant to say DIAL INDICATOR, not dial caliper!!!

Uggghhh!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not to beat this to death, but at what point would you consider the error to
large and re-set the knife?

Thanks!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , [email protected] says...
Not to beat this to death, but at what point would you consider the error to
large and re-set the knife?

Thanks!

In my experience you start getting chatter somewhere between .05 and .15 mm.
Depends on the width and hardness of the wood.

-Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
I just sharpened and reset my jointer blades. I checked (dial caliper) that
the blades were level with the outfeed table and one blade is 0.001" above
and one is 0.002" below (the other is level).

Obviously having all at 0.000" above or below would be ideal, but I still
want to keep the little hair I have left on my head.

Do you think this is acceptable? Will I notice this when jointing?

I assume the highest blades will wear the fastest and maybe "catch-up" with
the low blades with use as they dull.

Check he

http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/T.../Jointers.html

I think the "low-tech" type of setting that
measures cutter height by measuring how far a
blade moves a stick is pretty good, but I'm no
professional.