Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXXVIII

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

744. I think I've seen this one but don't remember what it's for.
747. Camera flash. Uses bulbs. The blades fan into a circular
reflector.
748. Possibly a bead breaker for tires?
Those are cool steam tractor pictures. Thanks for including them.
Karl

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:17:11 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

744 is a weapon for sharpening brass cork borers. Cork borers come in
nested sizes and the taper fits all. One inserts the tapered end into
the borer and holds the knife edge tight to the borer and then turns
the borer. This trims the brass and leaves a new cutting edge.

I have a complete set of borers but do not have a sharpener :-(
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Unknown .@. wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:17:11 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

744 is a weapon for sharpening brass cork borers. Cork borers come in
nested sizes and the taper fits all. One inserts the tapered end into
the borer and holds the knife edge tight to the borer and then turns
the borer. This trims the brass and leaves a new cutting edge.

I have a complete set of borers but do not have a sharpener :-(

Why are cork borers made of brass instead of steel?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message 744 is
a weapon for sharpening brass cork borers. Cork borers come in
nested sizes and the taper fits all. One inserts the tapered end into
the borer and holds the knife edge tight to the borer and then turns
the borer. This trims the brass and leaves a new cutting edge.

I have a complete set of borers but do not have a sharpener :-(

Why are cork borers made of brass instead of steel?

Perhaps less chance of corrosion and smoother when interacting with cork?
Maybe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Matthew wrote: Why are cork borers made of brass instead of steel?
Leon wrote: Perhaps less chance of corrosion and smoother when
interacting with cork? Maybe.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Cork" borers are called that, even though they are now usually used to bore
holes in rubber stoppers. It's kind of like "dialing" a touch-tone phone.
Brass? I think that's because the tooling required to sharpen steel
"cork"-borers would be out of place in a chem lab, and brass works well
enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

747- collapsible photo flash.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

748. a device for for measuring the horses hoof size.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Mostly guesses:

744. Tool for removing burrs from the edges of copper pipes?
745. Head of tool used to repair gutters?
746. Leveling jack. Perhaps for logs?
747. Camera flash reflector (folded).
748. Clamp used when birthing (or castrating) livestock.
749. Door plate (for doorbell, address, etc.)?

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in news:ruWEg.76923$Eh1.56989
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

744 is a cork bore sharpener
746 looks like part of a spring-mounted seat
747 is a photographer's flash unit - the stack of silver "leaves" rotate or
fan out and form a reflector
749 is a escution plate for something, looks familiar but I can't place it

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

749. Front plate for a parking meter.

Catherine Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

749 Possible clock "face"
Time in the upper hjole and moon phanses &c in the lower holes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Howard R Garner wrote:
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

749 Possible clock "face"
Time in the upper hjole and moon phanses &c in the lower holes

What about the center hole?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Surprised nobody got 748 yet - clearly a set of handcuffs for one-armed
prisoners.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

744) Chem lab "cork borer" sharpener. The tube of the borer
is slid over the tapered end until it reaches the diameter which
stops it, and then it is rotated so the hinged knife scrapes a
clean bevel on the end of the borer, thus sharpening it.

745) At a guess, used with a hammer to cut sheet metal.

However, I wonder about the grease which appears to be on the
threads -- and why there is an unscrewable handle in the first
place.

746) A shock mounted cradle to support something round. (That *is*
a spring between the uprights? If it is welded to the top of
the uprights, and the bottom of the spring is welded to the
center with the U catcher at the top, it would act as a spring
shock mount at least.

747) Old fan-folding photo flash gun -- for the pinch-based bulbs
which followed the "M" series, IIRC.

The white button will fire a flash without the camera being
involved, or the two slots are a connector for a sync cable to
go to the camera's shutter sync contacts.

748) Perhaps a tool for cleaning carbon deposits from the grooves
on old automotive pistons? If so -- very *large* pistons.

749) escutcheon for a combination lock -- somewhat similar to those
on old post-office boxes perhaps?

If so,the upper circle might be for a window to see whether you
have mail.

I'm not sure about the two lower holes, however.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

749) escutcheon for a combination lock -- somewhat similar to those
on old post-office boxes perhaps?

If so,the upper circle might be for a window to see whether you
have mail.

I'm not sure about the two lower holes, however.

The two lower holes are for two dials, with the letters a-z on each.
Dialing each to the proper letter unlocks the box.

--
Sandy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

746. Is an adjustable screed chair used in concrete and tilt up
construction. Probably made by/for Dayton Superior:

Similar to: http://www.daytonconcreteacc.com/pdf/Item_38.pdf
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H. ? Do you have a place where the correct answers are easily found?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Do you have a place where the correct answers are easily found?

I usually post a link to the answer page the day after the original post.
All previous sets have an answer link following the last photo.

This week three of them have been answered correctly, with the last two
still unidentified.

744. Cork cutter sharpener

745. Leaf spring lubricator

746. Adjustable screed chair, or rebar chair. The first link on the answer
page is the same as provided by DanG in this thread.

747. Camera flash accessory

748. Haven't been able to confirm any of the guesses yet, same with number
749.

749. A list of guesses so far can be found on the link below.

If anyone can find a link to verify either of these last two, please post
it.

New photos and several links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan130-8r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

749. A list of guesses so far can be found on the link below.
I dont think that 749 could be a gasket of any kind, it looks too decorated
to me (what with the carving on the front). I am inclined to go with it
being some kind of front panel or door (e.g. mailbox, parking meter, radio etc)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
749. A list of guesses so far can be found on the link below.

I dont think that 749 could be a gasket of any kind, it looks too
decorated to me (what with the carving on the front). I am inclined to go
with it being some kind of front panel or door (e.g. mailbox, parking
meter, radio etc)

I think it might be from a radio. The big hole is for a circular dial. The
one below it is for the vernier tuning knob. The other holes would be for
the volume control, and either a band switch, or tone control.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

&49, head gasket- one lunger
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

748) Wild guesses: tool to compress large piston rings for insertion
OR
to close pre-crimped metal duct tube
--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".