Posted to rec.woodworking

Default End Grain Drilling Wood Posts?

I need some advice on end grain drilling.

I've fabricated some posts for a patio cover. They are octagonal,
4-inches across the flats. Double helix spirals, ½-inch diameter,
¼-inch deep are cut along the length of the posts at a 3-foot pitch.
The wood is #1 and #2 DF cut down from 6x6's.

I need to drill a ¾-inch diameter hole coaxially up the center of each
post, about 9-inches deep. I want to know what's the best drill bit
to use that would least likely cause splitting. I've heard that a
regular twist bit, like is used for metalworking, is okay. I have a
quote for an 'end-grain point' modified brad point bit for $113, a
little more than I expected. Maybe a ship auger would be fine?

I haven't attempted any drilling yet. I don't really know how likely
splitting would be, but I'd like to protect the work I put into these
posts up to this point. I could place clamps on the wood while
drilling to keep the posts from expanding. Maybe that would be
enough?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve Noll | The Glass Block Pond
| http://www.kissingfrogs.tv
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

If a bit is causing a wedging action so as to split the post, it is a lousy
drill. It won't be a problem. An auger or spade bit will work fine. The
chips will have to be cleared frequently with either one.

"Steve Noll" wrote in message
I need some advice on end grain drilling.

I've fabricated some posts for a patio cover. They are octagonal,
4-inches across the flats. Double helix spirals, ½-inch diameter,
¼-inch deep are cut along the length of the posts at a 3-foot pitch.
The wood is #1 and #2 DF cut down from 6x6's.

I need to drill a ¾-inch diameter hole coaxially up the center of each
post, about 9-inches deep. I want to know what's the best drill bit
to use that would least likely cause splitting. I've heard that a
regular twist bit, like is used for metalworking, is okay. I have a
quote for an 'end-grain point' modified brad point bit for $113, a
little more than I expected. Maybe a ship auger would be fine?

I haven't attempted any drilling yet. I don't really know how likely
splitting would be, but I'd like to protect the work I put into these
posts up to this point. I could place clamps on the wood while
drilling to keep the posts from expanding. Maybe that would be
enough?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve Noll | The Glass Block Pond
| http://www.kissingfrogs.tv

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Noll wrote:
I need some advice on end grain drilling.

snip
I need to drill a ¾-inch diameter hole coaxially up the center of each
post, about 9-inches deep. I want to know what's the best drill bit
to use that would least likely cause splitting.

I'd use a ship's auger to drill the hole and since I'm a belt &
suspenders kind of guy, a couple of hose clamps around the piece while
drilling.

BTW, for $30, Jamestown Distributors will sell you a 3/4" dia x 12" lg
s/a.

Lew