Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Goodbye Woodworker Journal/Router Magazines

I just got my renewal notices for WWJ and Am. Router magazines and
to be honest, I don't know why I was still getting them. Habit
and pre-payment, I'd suppose. Since Rockler took over WWJ
it hasn't gone anywhere. And don't get me started on AmRouter which
is a US rehash of the UK pub, with very little content in it that
is useful.

Might buy a single issue of WWJ in the future if there's something
worth the while, but it will be cheaper then a whole subscription.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On 1 Aug 2006 17:10:37 -0700, wrote:

I just got my renewal notices for WWJ and Am. Router magazines and
to be honest, I don't know why I was still getting them. Habit
and pre-payment, I'd suppose. Since Rockler took over WWJ
it hasn't gone anywhere. And don't get me started on AmRouter which
is a US rehash of the UK pub, with very little content in it that
is useful.

Might buy a single issue of WWJ in the future if there's something
worth the while, but it will be cheaper then a whole subscription.

MJ Wallace

My 2 cents....

Dropped WWJ 6 months or so before their "Free Book" debacle, but not soon enough to avoid it.
Dropped for the same reason you did. My Dad hoarded twenty or so of the very early issues. It was
a true magazine, not a catalog. If you have some spare cash, pick up the issues of Lee Valley's
defunct magazine, Woodcuts. They still have some complete sets. It's a shame they discontinued it.
Interesting content, no chest thumping, good value. Just what you'd expect from LV. 380 pages with
binder for $18.50. I presume it comes with the usual LV warranty - ship it back for refund if you
don't like it. I kept mine as a fun read if nothing else.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46131&ap=1

My Am. WW sub is expiring later this year, and I won't re-up again. Used to be a good magazine back
5-10 years ago, and occasionally still has a good issue, but the content is not reliable enough to
lay out money for. Too much focus on beginner projects for me, and I think I've passed that stage.

I very much enjoy FWW, PWW, Wood and am trying Woodsmith and Woodcraft's mag. Woodsmith is hit and
miss for my interests, and it may become Shopsmith when the subscription expires. The early
Woodcraft issues seem to have been better than the current ones from what I can tell from the online
archive. I paid either $7 or 9 for a year's subscription as part of an on-line order. At a buck or
so an issue it certainly delivers, and I'd resubscribe at that price because you also get access to
the earlier articles on line.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

I get Wood, Woodsmith, Woodcraft, Workbench, and Popular Woodworking.

Woodcraft is a decent magazine, I like the variety they get by having
freelance writers, but it's a bit heavy on features about people and
what they do. Which is ok, but Woodcraft really isn't a good magazine
to get ideas. Still, it's a good read.

Wood magazine is probably my favorite. I've gotten a lot of
inspirations from them, plus it's very inexpensive. I like how they
(and Woodsmith) give you cut out templates and patterns for curves and
so forth. The latest Wood had a nice project with cariobole legs and
intrinsia. (sorry for butchering the spelling). I'll probably never
make the intrinsia eagle, but it was a fun read, and different from the
normal ultimate router table/andorndac chair article that everyone does
once per year.

Woodsmith is also nice for ideas.

Don't really like Popular Woodworking, although I've only gotten 2
issues so far.
Workbench is ok, but it's a hybrid woodworking/home improvement mag (at
least so far it seems that way).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Aug 2006 09:05:42 -0700, "Bill Leonhardt" wrote:

wrote:
I just got my renewal notices for WWJ and Am. Router magazines and
to be honest, I don't know why I was still getting them.

I get WWJ and, as someone pointed out, how many designs for a router
table do you need? I do, however, like the way it's packaged and will
probably hang in there for a while.

I do want praise WWJ for one item, though. It's the articles by Ian
Kirby. I had the pleasure of attending a lecture he gave at the Long
Island woodworking show some years back and was very impressed by his
approach. Many articles give you information on how to do some thing
but Kirby's give you information on how to think about something. This
may not appeal to everyone, but it does to me. Yeah, I like the "hands
on" articles too, but I appreciate a balance of thinking and doing
info.

Second the comment regarding the Ian Kirby articles. His piece on
plant-on panels provided an excellent design idea I have incorporated into
the bed I'm building. I really liked the first part of his series "From
Design to Cutting List", Part I, the critical path. Part II was somewhat a
dissappointment. I have also indexed several other articles he has
written, such as the one on chair design.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Second the comment regarding the Ian Kirby articles. His piece on
plant-on panels provided an excellent design idea I have incorporated
into the bed I'm building. I really liked the first part of his
series "From Design to Cutting List", Part I, the critical path. Part
II was somewhat a dissappointment. I have also indexed several other
articles he has written, such as the one on chair design.

Third. He also wrote some design articles for 'Woodworker West'
http://www.woodwest.com/. I have a couple of his books and wish that he
would do one on design.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

I'm down to Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking on subscription, and
Woodwork and Woodworking from the rack at the local wood emporium. How
many different ways do I need to be shown how to build a router table? Or
to build a wood storage rack?

Patriarch,
building garden gates this week, with advice gleaned from the wReck...

Hello, Everyone.

I have just started reading Woodworking Magazine.

http://woodworking-magazine.com

This magazine is styled after Consumer Reports in that there is no
advertising and they offer monthly reviews of tools and related
equipment (e.g., this month they reviewed moisture meters).

There are monthly projects and columns on all aspects of woodworking
(e.g., this month they discuss wedged tenons, spline joints, and
painting furniture).

Woodworking Magazine is available in a print edition, an online edition,
and there is a weblog ('blog') as well.

I am a relative newbie to woodworking and find that I learn a lot in
every issue.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)