Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Symetrical Layout - Stops and Jigs

So I'm making the fourth in a series of bonsai display tables - mainly
loose tenon M&T joints, the mortises in side and end grain being done
with a Dewalt 621 plunge router, Onsrud upcut spiral bit and the TREND
Mortise & Tenon Jig. Wasn't until this fourth one that it occured to me
to do the joint layout symetrically - center line and left and right
ends
equidistant from the edges of the stock. Set the Left/Right stops,
align the jig to the center line of the stock and forget about which
face should face you or which side should be on the left. The mortises
come out identical - no tweeking necessary. Nice to have Glenn Drake's
Tite-Mark to scribe the layout lines. Once the first mortise is done
it's easy to make up a strip or two of loose tenon stock and cut off
what's needed.

Wish I'd had this flash of insight when making the first three tables.
Would've eliminated the need to make custom loose tenons for some
of the joints that were cut with the reference face and/or reference
edge back asswards.

Now if I'd consistently use the triangle parts marking system I may
avoid making two front left table legs or the "good face" of an apron
ending up on the inside. Maybe if I labeled the X, Y and Z axis . . .
On second thought, CW might correct my mislabeling so I'll skip that.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"charlie b" wrote in message
Maybe if I labeled the X, Y and Z axis . . .
On second thought, CW might correct my mislabeling so I'll skip that.

Not if you get it right.