Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXXV

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

726 The predecessor to the dial indicator.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

727. Coffee griinder?
728. Maybe an old "hot stick" for working on distribution lines before the
introduction of fiberglass poles?

todd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

. ..
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I think 730 is a variant on the "Ames window" optical illusion.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

726

727- spice grinder?

728- gaff for opening/closing windows, or something made to threead
rope/chain from the floor.

729

730

731- scrapes paint off glass, goes around the window frame

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

728 - Suppose it's 1930 and I want take electricity 100 yards from a
house to a barn. A device like this could be used to pick up both
wires, keep one several inches above the other so they don't end up
crossed, and provide temporary support by hooking over something. This
could simplify the job and reduce the number of trips up a ladder.

729 - Looks like it could be used to check the gap of a spark plug and
bend the side electrode. A similar tool could be used on some ignition
points.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

727 is a cigarette rolling machine I do believe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

My father worked for the Bell System and had a commercial
one of these. This one looks home made. It's used for manipulating
overhead wires/cables/ropes without the need for a ladder or
climbing up a telephone pole. In addition to the stated defects this
one also has a misshapen hook.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
Oops. Previous refers to #728.

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
. ..
My father worked for the Bell System and had a commercial
one of these. This one looks home made. It's used for manipulating
overhead wires/cables/ropes without the need for a ladder or
climbing up a telephone pole. In addition to the stated defects this
one also has a misshapen hook.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Where and when did your dad work for Bell?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Phoenix. Late 50's 'till about '80.

Art

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

Where and when did your dad work for Bell?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
. ..
Phoenix. Late 50's 'till about '80.

Art

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

Where and when did your dad work for Bell?

Cool. I worked for them in Louisville from the early 80's till 2000

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

727 - (wool?) carding machine.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As usual, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

726) This one is a combination of two tools:

A runout indicator (most have dials, but this one is just a
pointer moved by the lever, and calibrated to tell how far the
ball tip is moving. The needle will move upscale for either
direction of motion. I have one example of this sort of
indicator. This one moves full scale for a motion of 0.010"
(assuming that the ball tip is at the right angle to the tested
surface -- at other angles, it will introduce cosine error, so
the reading will not be accurate.

And a wiggler gauge, with the sharp point it is used to show how
far off center a center-punch mark is, to allow it to be
adjusted on center. The area where the small diameter shank
joins the larger one has a ball at the end of the small
diameter, fitted into a cavity at the large diameter shank, with
a knurled cap to tighten it just enough so the point can be
easily moved, but not too tight.

To use (one possible way) chuck the larger shank in the
tailstock chuck in the lathe. Advance the point until it enters
the center punch mark, and then adjust the runout indicator to
touch the small diameter just behind the point.

Then (assuming a 4-jaw independent chuck), rotate the chuck
slowly, by hand, and note the maximum and minimum reading of the
indicator, and loosen the chuck jaw near the lowest reading, and
tighten that near the highest reading. Repeat a few times to
get the mark as close to center as possible. (There are other
ways to do this, but this is one way that this would be used.)

It can also be used to center a milling machine spindle (or ever
a drill press spindle) over a center punch mark for locating the
hole to be drilled or milled.

I must admit to never having seen the two joined like this, but
it is a good tool.

727) This looks like a small version of a cotton gin, or perhaps a
machine for carding wool.

If a cotton gin, the seeds would collect in the drawer below the
surface.

An indication of size would be nice to have, but assuming that
the crank handle is designed for a single hand, I would guess
that the flat surface is about 5 to 6 inches across, and the
drum is about that diameter (exclusive of the points).

728) At a guess -- it is a tool for shifting belts (flat leather
ones) for machines which were driven by an overhead lineshaft,
as was common in earlier days before almost all machine tools
got their own electric motors. The lineshaft could have been
driven by a steam engine, perhaps by horses or oxen, or by a
large electric motor.

729) Tool for adjusting something by bending it, and verifying the
adjustment by using the pivoted tab as a feeler gauge, I think.

730) Hmm ... it looks as though it is designed to be looked at from
a specific angle and distance, and it will appear square. So
some sort of perspective demonstrator.

731) It looks like a tool designed to run along taut cables and to
allow that to guide the corner scraper mounted on the near end.

One possible use might be to run it along the inside of window
frames to square up the step into which the glass is fitted
before it gets puttyed in place.

Now -- to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

The long pole is with hooks is used for stinging lines or cable I built
one myself for stringing up christmas tree lights on a large tree
outside of our house. It is also good for tinsel popcorn strings and in
the summer time string lights in the backyard

PJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I believe the wood box with the gears is a bread crumb grinder or a nut
grinder

PJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

All six have been answered correctly this week:

726. Mechanical indicator

727. Wool carder, this item only has the one large drum, most of these have
a second smaller drum on the same shaft as the handle, so the owner wasn't
sure if was actually a drum wool carder or not. I'm going with this answer
until I see evidence otherwise.

728. Wire stringing tool, thanks to those who answered this one

729. Spark plug gap tool and gauge

730. Image: Ames room floor; Project: making a model Ames room.

731. Window paint scraper

A couple new photos and a few links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan127-8.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As usual, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

726) This one is a combination of two tools:

A runout indicator...

Thanks for the info on this tool, I knew what it was called, but not how it
was used.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:23:10 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

727. Wool carder, this item only has the one large drum, most of these have
a second smaller drum on the same shaft as the handle, so the owner wasn't
sure if was actually a drum wool carder or not. I'm going with this answer
until I see evidence otherwise.

If you don't mind I'm willing to ask on a fiber related mailing list.
Both antique spinning equipment and modern carding drums have been
discussed there in the recent past.
--
William