Posted to rec.woodworking

Default LOOK here ...

.... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

.... nuff said!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

@#$%%$@#!$!#$^@%^^ Sonofagun. @#$@#$%%$#@#$%^%$&%^!@#$^!#~!@#%@#%466.

YOU DOG. LOL

Are the 6 chairs done yet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

They musta shipped same day. IIRC Sunday a week ago you had not yet ordered
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

They musta shipped same day. IIRC Sunday a week ago you had not yet

ordered
it.

Ordered last Thursday, drop shipped from JDS by Highland Hardware.

Trucking company called this morning saying it was in and wanted to make
arrangements to deliver it tomorrow. Rather than wait on their whims, I just
went and picked it up myself this morning (McCarty/Wallisville road area,
about 20 minutes from the shop).

Been too damn busy to do much but stop at the shop now and again and take a
peek ... need to put it on a mobile base before I can unfetter its wings and
let it fly, so it'll be a few days.

Beside the fact that woodworking paid for it, it feels good to get the
procrastinating over with.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does it make coffee?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hah! So take that LEON and your fancy new bandsaw!

Glad I am not in your neighborhood. I could never keep up with the
Joneses, or the Swings, or the Leons.

Hope you post a pic or two when it is all set up.

Robert

P.S. - hey Leon... what's next on your end?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

As it should be.

--

-Mike-

Notice how well I disguise my jealousy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hah! So take that LEON and your fancy new bandsaw!

Glad I am not in your neighborhood. I could never keep up with the
Joneses, or the Swings, or the Leons.

Hope you post a pic or two when it is all set up.

Robert

P.S. - hey Leon... what's next on your end?

Wull i did geta new dust collector.... last month.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

"Leon" wrote in message

They musta shipped same day. IIRC Sunday a week ago you had not yet

ordered
it.

Ordered last Thursday, drop shipped from JDS by Highland Hardware.

Trucking company called this morning saying it was in and wanted to make
arrangements to deliver it tomorrow. Rather than wait on their whims, I
just
went and picked it up myself this morning (McCarty/Wallisville road area,
about 20 minutes from the shop).

Been too damn busy to do much but stop at the shop now and again and take
peek ... need to put it on a mobile base before I can unfetter its wings
and
let it fly, so it'll be a few days.

Beside the fact that woodworking paid for it, it feels good to get the
procrastinating over with.

I was going to say that is an expensive little router toy. You must be
doing something right to have the woodworking pay for this.

What is going to be your primary application with the multi-router? I know
Dick Marks like to make a lot of his joints on this machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:35:27 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

Man, if that's a happy one, I'm not sure I want to see an unhappy one.
;-) Nice driveby.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

As Leon said - (I'll clean it up first)
%$#@%$#!

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

I'd hate to see a picture of you feeling sad

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

Man, if that's a happy one, I'm not sure I want to see an unhappy one.

LOL ... historically, that would be an accurate statement.

;-) Nice driveby.

Thanks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

What is going to be your primary application with the multi-router? I

know
Dick Marks like to make a lot of his joints on this machine.

That's because it is primarily designed for joinery, although it will spin
panel bits and will cut rabbets, etc.

I will use it primarily for floating tenon joinery, in particular production
runs of joinery with compound angles.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

Damn good thing you put that security camera in. Otherwise that
homeless guy would probably have gotten away with stealing your stuff.
LMAO

ROTFL ... yep, I do feel a need for more fashionable summer shop dress,
especially now that I'm no longer buff in bib overalls and no shirt ... but
the JDS didn't come with any, so I guess I'm SOL for a couple of more
paydays.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sure would like to see some detailed photos of how that little rascal works.
It sure is a neat device, having seen it on Mark's show.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Swingman" wrote in message
... to see what a happy coonass looks like:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

... nuff said!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Ron Moore" wrote in message
Sure would like to see some detailed photos of how that little rascal

works.
It sure is a neat device, having seen it on Mark's show.

... to see what a happy coonass looks like:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Multi-router.JPG

Maybe that's why he's not smiling. He still has to learn how to use the
thing. I usually find that when I gleefully come home with some new toy.

SWMBO say's if he's not obviously ****ed/scowling, it's a smile. I saved the
big smile for right after cutting the first mortise, considering that I
futzed with the necessity of damn near a separate, shop made, mortising jig
for every single mortise on my current project.

Actually, the second hardest part in gearing up for the first cut was making
the mobile base; the first, finding a place to put it.

The machine is intuitive in its methodology and the learning curve basically
non-existent for cutting mortises, which is what is needed for the current
project, and most of my future projects using mortises and loose/floating
tenon joinery. Judging from what I've seen with DJM, and from talking with
other owners/DAGSing, this is the number one use for the machine.

Tenons are a bit more complicated, but not much, and only because they
require the use of templates, which the three tables follow using a stylus.

Mortises don't need templates, and at this stage, neither do I. Template$
are expen$ive.

Basically the multi-router is three tables; the router is attached to a
vertical table, which moves in the z axis, with sliding stops which can be
set to define the up and down limits of a cut; and two horizontal tables,
which move in the x and y axis, both having stops which can be set to limit
length and depth of cut.

It's that simple, and if you've ever used a stop block for a cut, you're off
to the races immediately.

FWIW, the engineering is absolute awesome. I don't think I've ever seen
another piece of woodworking equipment with this level of precision.

Every wooddorker needs to put his hands on one just for the fun of it ...
but, what really makes the multi-router experience astounding is all that
previous screwing around with the time consuming, imprecision of homemade
mortising jigs for compound angled joinery.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote
"Upscale" wrote in message
"Ron Moore" wrote in message
[...]

I think we can safely write swingman off the list for the neander-amish
woodworker of the month.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

FWIW, the engineering is absolute awesome. I don't think I've ever seen
another piece of woodworking equipment with this level of precision.

Every wooddorker needs to put his hands on one just for the fun of it ...
but, what really makes the multi-router experience astounding is all that
previous screwing around with the time consuming, imprecision of homemade
mortising jigs for compound angled joinery.

So, there you have it, what every woodworker strives for when he/she buys a
new toy ~ that it performs above and beyond expectations. Enjoy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I think we can safely write swingman off the list for the neander-amish
woodworker of the month.

Never aspired to the honor ... what a smart Normite does is mentally bank a
nickel for every M&T joint he's cut by hand down through the years, add
those cut after moving up to table saws, drill presses and hollow chisel
mortisers, and when he gets old enough he can then spend all that hard
earned cash on a Multi-router to comfort him in his old age.

There are some benefits to being an old man ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The Z axis is always in line with the spindle axis. The slide that the
router is mounted to moves along the Y axis. The stock is moved along the X
and Z. What the multi router is is a horizontal milling machine.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Basically the multi-router is three tables; the router is attached to a
vertical table, which moves in the z axis, with sliding stops which can be
set to define the up and down limits of a cut; and two horizontal tables,
which move in the x and y axis, both having stops which can be set to

limit
length and depth of cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

The Z axis is always in line with the spindle axis. The slide that the
router is mounted to moves along the Y axis. The stock is moved along the

and Z.

Would've sworn that's what I said, but thank you for your prompt
corrections, per usual.

What the multi router is is a horizontal milling machine.

.... with a few more features than the run-of-the-mill horizontal milling
machine, NPI.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
The Z axis is always in line with the spindle axis. The slide that the
router is mounted to moves along the Y axis. The stock is moved along the

and Z. What the multi router is is a horizontal milling machine.

Be careful of your assumptions, and your reference.

The _documented_ axis reference for the Multi-router is as follows:

The "z" axis is the up and down axis of the vertical table.

The "y" axis is left and right movement of the horizontal table.

The "x" axis is the in and out movement (toward the vertical table) of the
horizontal table, in line with the "spindle axis".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

If you meant to say that your typical horizontal mill has more features, I
will agree with you. The horizontal mill, with its calibrated measuring
system, power feeds in all axis, ability to take a very wide variety of
cutter, variable spindle drive, (often) swiveling table and easy conversion
to a lathe tend to give it a might bit of an edge. Years ago, there was a
horizontal mill on the market that was about equivalent to the Multi Router.
It was known as a hand milling machine. It gave way to far more versatile
machines. I have not seen one in quite a number of years.

"Swingman" wrote in message
"CW" wrote in message

The Z axis is always in line with the spindle axis. The slide that the
router is mounted to moves along the Y axis. The stock is moved along

the
and Z.

Would've sworn that's what I said, but thank you for your prompt
corrections, per usual.

What the multi router is is a horizontal milling machine.

... with a few more features than the run-of-the-mill horizontal milling
machine, NPI.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
If you meant to say that your typical horizontal mill has more features, I
will agree with you. The horizontal mill, with its calibrated measuring
system, power feeds in all axis, ability to take a very wide variety of
cutter, variable spindle drive, (often) swiveling table and easy

conversion
to a lathe tend to give it a might bit of an edge. Years ago, there was a
horizontal mill on the market that was about equivalent to the Multi

Router.
It was known as a hand milling machine. It gave way to far more versatile
machines. I have not seen one in quite a number of years.

In the woodworking world (after all, this is a woodworking forum and the
thread is dealing with a machine that was designed specifically for
_woodworking joinery_) the closest machine is known commonly by woodworkers
as a "slot mortiser", which some also class as a "horizontal milling
machine". AAMOF, an old Burke horizontal milling machine is used in one
local millworks as a slot mortiser for their door division.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

As per usual, you've got your head in your ass and your trying to pull it
out before someone notices.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
As per usual, you've got your head in your ass and your trying to pull it
out before someone notices.

You know, CW ... it doesn't pay to try and get along with you. I figured you
wouldn't be able to resist and would show your usual know-it-all, smart ass
on that one.

This is a woodworking forum ... keep that firmly in mind when you read/reply
to posts that deal with machinery designed with woodworking in mind.

Now, once again, go **** yourself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Then they don't know themselves. You can call a rotation to the left
clockwise if you want, still doesn't make it right. The axis direction, as I
described, is an international standard in the machine tool industry, based
on the Cartesian coordinate system. My point of reference is 20 years in the
industry. Working for and with users and producers of machine tools,
machining any type of machineable material.

"Swingman" wrote in message
"CW" wrote in message
The Z axis is always in line with the spindle axis. The slide that the
router is mounted to moves along the Y axis. The stock is moved along

the
and Z. What the multi router is is a horizontal milling machine.

Be careful of your assumptions, and your reference.

The _documented_ axis reference for the Multi-router is as follows:

The "z" axis is the up and down axis of the vertical table.

The "y" axis is left and right movement of the horizontal table.

The "x" axis is the in and out movement (toward the vertical table) of the
horizontal table, in line with the "spindle axis".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Though it doesn't have guides for tenons, the Robland X31 combi comes
with a horizontal boring/mortising set up - the bit in a V chuck on the'
end of the jointer/joiner - planer cutter head, an X-Y-Z table to hold
and
move the stock. In/Out and Left/Right stops complete the set up.
See second and third pics on this page.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/X31pg3.html

The X31 sells for around six grand. the Multi-router - with bare
essentials is around $2000? For another four grand you get
a 10", 3hp table saw with sliding table, 3 hp shaper with 1 1/4"
bore, a 12" planer AND a 12" joiner/jointer - in addition to the
horizontal mortiser with Left/Right, In/Out and Up/Down table.
(Notice how I avoided getting into which is X, which is Y and
which is Z? Fortunatel, there's no pitch or yaw.

And here's a slick jig Ray McInnes came up with for it that extends
its capabilities. Handy if you do chairs.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../RaysJIG1.html

Biggest shortcoming of these things is the table size. Building a four
or six panel door on it is a bit tricky. Gerald Masgai has it worked
out.
Have a look at his process for making a four panel door - using loose
tenon joinery and the mortiser on the X31. Click on "continue" at the
bottom of each page to get to the next page.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence...op/page16.html

Will the Multi-Router handle door building?

Oh, BTW - YOU SUCK!

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
Then they don't know themselves. You can call a rotation to the left
clockwise if you want, still doesn't make it right.

It depends on the point of reference. If viewed from the opposite side, a
clocks rotation would be counter clockwise.

The axis direction, as I
described, is an international standard in the machine tool industry,

based
on the Cartesian coordinate system. My point of reference is 20 years in

the
industry. Working for and with users and producers of machine tools,
machining any type of machineable material.

Multi-router is, in fact, correctly using the "three dimensional Cartesian
Coordinate System" to describe the axis' of their machine, instead of the
two dimensional, "rectangular Cartesian coordinate system".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
snip

Biggest shortcoming of these things is the table size. Building a four
or six panel door on it is a bit tricky. Gerald Masgai has it worked
out.

Biggest shortcoming with all the above for me would be size, followed
closely by price. The MR is 16" w x 21" d x 20" t +/-, and weights about 96
pounds ... which barely made it into my shop as it is.

Will the Multi-Router handle door building?

I think you could probably devise a method, maybe with outfeed
tables/rollers, but I don't think it would be remotely considered a "forte".

Oh, BTW - YOU SUCK!

The $uckage i$ mo$tly $ucked up by the expen$ivene$$, but thank$.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"charlie b" wrote in message
snip

The $uckage i$ mo$tly $ucked up by the expen$ivene$$, but thank$.

So uh Swingman it $ound$ like you developed a li$p. Have you gotten any
saw dust on the multi router yet???

I have been heavily debating purchasing a Fein Multimaster to help with
exterior repairs around the house. I really like the plunge saw feature.
Rockler has the XL steel case version on close out price for $297. I recall
you saying that you have one. Do you have the profile sander accessory and
if so is it any good?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Biggest shortcoming of these things is the table size. Building a four
or six panel door on it is a bit tricky. Gerald Masgai has it worked
out.
Have a look at his process for making a four panel door - using loose
tenon joinery and the mortiser on the X31. Click on "continue" at the
bottom of each page to get to the next page.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence...op/page16.html

Will the Multi-Router handle door building?

charlie b

I have used a Multi Router to make 15 or so doors . . . so yes it works
fine . . . loose tenons . . . I don't use it for raised panels, but it's
fantastic for the stile/rail tenon joinery . . .

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

International standards dictate a point of reference and if they are not
using it, which they're not, they're wrong. Kind of like using your own
calendar or number system. You could, but it would make life much easier on
you and others to conform to recognized standards.
"Swingman" wrote in message
"CW" wrote in message
Then they don't know themselves. You can call a rotation to the left
clockwise if you want, still doesn't make it right.

It depends on the point of reference. If viewed from the opposite side, a
clocks rotation would be counter clockwise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

So uh Swingman it $ound$ like you developed a li$p. Have you gotten any
saw dust on the multi router yet???

Just the kind from a few test cuts ... been too damn busy.

I have been heavily debating purchasing a Fein Multimaster to help with
exterior repairs around the house. I really like the plunge saw feature.
Rockler has the XL steel case version on close out price for $297. I

recall
you saying that you have one. Do you have the profile sander accessory

and
if so is it any good?

I have a finger style and the tri-cornered sander accessory ... don't know
if that is what you're speaking of. I am not all that impressed with its use
as a sander, although it will get in some corners that few other tools will.
I really don't have many accessories as I didn't buy the full monte.

I used the saw accessory just this last week to free a lost circuit behind
some cabinets for a builder friend. It beats the hell out today's
carpenter/plumber/electrician's way ... a sawz-all.

You're certainly welcome to try it out before you buy. I would recommend
doing that. Just come by and pick it up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick" wrote in message

I have used a Multi Router to make 15 or so doors . . . so yes it works
fine . . . loose tenons . . . I don't use it for raised panels, but it's
fantastic for the stile/rail tenon joinery . . .

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com

Beautiful work, Rick.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I have been heavily debating purchasing a Fein Multimaster to help with
exterior repairs around the house.

If you get one, get ALL the carbide blades offered.

Bite the bullet once.

BTW, you will find uses for it you never dreamed of.

Lew