Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tile use in a cabin

Hello all.....Went out with my Dad, brother, and Grandfather this past
weekend and did some great powertool bonding. Put up a 15x15 cabin in
the mountains of PA. The cabin is pretty much an over sized shed
design. The front wall is 16' with a back wall of around 8.5'.

Started Friday and ended Sunday with it just needing the siding put up
and a front door installed. Allow me to say ----- Nail guns are a
WONDERFUL thing.

We built on an existing cement slab. (former cabin) The surface of
the slab isn't in the greatest condition and we were tossing the idea
around of putting tile down in it for a floor to cover the concrete.

Anybody ever use tile in this type of application. I was figuring on
using leveling compound to get things in order that way, and would seal
the grout. Will the temp extremes bother it much? There won't be any
heat in the building and the temp can go from over 90 in the summer to
10 or 20 below in the winter. The slab won't be shifting or settling
since it's been there for 20 years.

Didn't think it would cause any problem, but figured I'd see what
somebody else thought.

Thanks for the input.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

bremen68 wrote:
[...]

No worries about the heat/cold in my opinion. If your slab is just
hairline cracks you can just go over them with the thinset and tile. If
the cracks have shifted out of alignment then you will need to level the
floor. Level is the term used but you really don't need to be level,
just flat.

I have vinyl sheet in my cabin. Works well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

No wrote in :

bremen68 wrote:
[...]

There's a red slimey liquid stuff that HD sells that puts an isolation
membrane between the floor base and the thiset. Maybe called Redguard.
I used it when I redid the master bath last summer. Worked well. Went
on easily with a chip brush, and dried in a couple of hours, as I
recall.

There's also a variety of thinset mortars you may consider, with varying
degrees of flexibility in the completed project. Ask a good tile
supplier for advice for your specific projects.

I think I would use vinyl for a cabin, and call it good. But that's
just me.

Patriarch

Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM