Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shaker and Mission?

What are the main differences between these styles of furniture?

Thanks.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

What are the main differences between these styles of furniture?

Thanks.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com

See:

Mission Furnitu

http://www.gustavstickley.com/missio...furniture.html

Shaker Furnitu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_furniture

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's me.

Looking at two pieces of furniture, one Shaker and one Mission, what would
distinguish them?

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Please see original post.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the best way to see the difference is to go to Google images
and do searches such as "mission style chair" and "shaker chair" and
compare what you see. The differences will become pretty apparent
pretty quickly.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:35:53 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

Looking at two pieces of furniture, one Shaker and one Mission, what would
distinguish them?

Shaker is hand work trying to look like machine work, Craftsman is
machine-made trying to look like hand work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:22:03 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:35:53 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

Looking at two pieces of furniture, one Shaker and one Mission, what would
distinguish them?

Shaker is hand work trying to look like machine work, Craftsman is
machine-made trying to look like hand work.

I thought the Shakers did not eschew the use of machinery; they did shun
ostentation in their products. That's why you see wood knobs, lack of
carvings, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:39:07 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

What are the main differences between these styles of furniture?

Thanks.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com

It's difficult to pinpoint the main differences because these styles
evolved over time and differed between villages. There are probably
more similarities than differences between these two styles.

Shaker
lighter, fewer members
religious belief influenced design
furniture pieces used for tasks and work
milk paints & hand-rubbed finishes

Mission
stronger pieces
often heavier
somewhat crude design
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Stoutman .@. wrote:
What are the main differences between these styles of furniture?

Thanks.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com

I'm no furniture critic but Shaker and Mission are very much different
design styles and the differnece is rather dramatic. Just put a
classic, taper-legged shaker end table next to a mission style end
table and the styling difference will be obvious. Pictures are worth
thousands of words here. I suggest checking google or dogpile image
search on the 2 keywords and you'll get a good idea pretty quickly.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
What are the main differences between these styles of furniture?

Thanks.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com

IMHO Shaker is a more simple looking design and tends to look lighter
weight and the chairs tend to have a lot of spindles. Mission looks
heavier, a little more complex visually, and typically built with Oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...

snip

IMHO Shaker is a more simple looking design and tends to look lighter
weight and the chairs tend to have a lot of spindles. Mission looks
heavier, a little more complex visually, and typically built with Oak.

I would like to try something in the Greene and Greene style. I would not
use an abundance of inlays though. It is a compromise between Mission (aka
Craftsman, Stickley, and such) and Shaker. I'm not implying that there is
Shaker influence in G&G. I find Craftsman style to be a little heavy for my
taste, but I have a strong respect for the style and there are pieces I
like. I tend to like the pieces done in cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:39:07 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

What are the main differences between these styles of furniture?

Chalk and cheese. The purposes are different, the philosophies are
different, and there's a century between the manufacturing techniques.

Google knows the rest, as do books by Christian Becksvoort (Shaker) and
Stickley himself or Bavaro & Mossman (Craftsman) or a few others for
general Mission. best of all is Mayer & Gray's "In the Arts & Crafts
Style", but that's hard to find.

Avoid books by Norm or Thomas Moser.