Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to get wood for DIY kitchen cabinets?

Where would an "Average Joe" get hardwood boards for cabinet making?
I'd like to get a hardwood like Red Oak or somthing like Aspen. Stores
like Lowes and Home Depot just don't have a selection. Is there a
better national source? I'm located in Maryland.

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

Phone book. Lumber. Hardwood suppliers - Retail.
Expect 1/2 to 1/4 the price of the big box stores.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Where would an "Average Joe" get hardwood boards for cabinet making?
I'd like to get a hardwood like Red Oak or somthing like Aspen. Stores
like Lowes and Home Depot just don't have a selection. Is there a
better national source? I'm located in Maryland.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Where would an "Average Joe" get hardwood boards for cabinet making?
I'd like to get a hardwood like Red Oak or somthing like Aspen. Stores
like Lowes and Home Depot just don't have a selection. Is there a
better national source? I'm located in Maryland.

Check the phone book for hardwood suppliers. Some will joint and thickness
plane for you at a nominal cost. You usually have to buy the entire board
also. not just three feet cut off. Some will have 50 to 100 varieties to
choose from.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There are lotsa sources on the net - I haven't ordered from these, but seem
like a professional outfit. to get a break, you have to order 1000 bf,
worth it to find someone to share the cost. I just cut the qtr sawn White
Oak SAB price from $7.50 to $5.50/bf.
Schroeder

http://www.loyalistforest.com/?page=contact

wrote in message
oups.com...
Where would an "Average Joe" get hardwood boards for cabinet making?
I'd like to get a hardwood like Red Oak or somthing like Aspen. Stores
like Lowes and Home Depot just don't have a selection. Is there a
better national source? I'm located in Maryland.

Posted to rec.woodworking

More information would be helpful. I would make kitchen cabs out of
plywood with hardwood faces. The hardwood I would use would be 4/4
rough. drawer parts would be a secondary wood like popular. If your
looking at HD for harwood then you are looking for dressed lumber. Most
saw mills and internet sources are selling rough lumber. Lumber yards
and HD big boxes sell dressed lumber and sheet goods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey badaczewski,
I live in Maryland too (up near Hampstead) and two locations come to
mind immediately;
Reisterstown Lumber 410-833-1300 and Kopps 410-374-9055.
I just picked up a nice piece of 4/4 oak for some candelabras from
Kopps on Saturday. They had a good selection of rough and planed
lumber.
Where do you live?
By the way, I built all of my kitchen cabinets from red oak. i used a
lot of scrap flooring for the drawers and face frames. The lower
cabinets have plywood carcases but the upper wall mounts were built
from 4/4 boards, 12 inch wide. All of my friends said I "can't build
kitchen cabinets". I guess that maybe these aren't cabinets then.

Marc

wrote:
Where would an "Average Joe" get hardwood boards for cabinet making?
I'd like to get a hardwood like Red Oak or somthing like Aspen. Stores
like Lowes and Home Depot just don't have a selection. Is there a
better national source? I'm located in Maryland.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marc,

I'm living in condo at Germantown, MD. I'm trying to really modernise
the whole place anywhere I can. The closet store to me is called Exotic
Lumbers, Inc (www.exoticlumberinc.com). So far I was planning on going
with them because they seem open to small orders, but I will check out
the places you mentioned also.

I also was planning to go with Red Oak ($2.75/bdft from Exotic Lumbers)
because its heavily used in manufacturer cabinets and its cost
effective. But, I started leaning toward Ash or Popular also because it
has less grain and might look more contemporary.

wrote:
Where would an "Average Joe" get hardwood boards for cabinet making?
I'd like to get a hardwood like Red Oak or somthing like Aspen. Stores
like Lowes and Home Depot just don't have a selection. Is there a
better national source? I'm located in Maryland.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

wrote:
Marc,

I'm living in condo at Germantown, MD. I'm trying to really modernise
the whole place anywhere I can. The closet store to me is called Exotic
Lumbers, Inc (
www.exoticlumberinc.com). So far I was planning on going
with them because they seem open to small orders, but I will check out
the places you mentioned also.

I also was planning to go with Red Oak ($2.75/bdft from Exotic Lumbers)
because its heavily used in manufacturer cabinets and its cost
effective. But, I started leaning toward Ash or Popular also because it
has less grain and might look more contemporary.

2.75 is a pretty good price for Red Oak, particularly if the minimum
purchase is reasonable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Exotic Lumber is a great place!

Proces don't seem out of line, particularly since mailorder usually
has minumums. Actually, checking out their specials page, their
prices are pretty good.
They are definitely open to small orders - you can go in and buy a
single board. Good luck trying that though. When you see their
selection, it'll be difficult to restrain yourself.

Unless you're planning on painting these cabinets, I'd stay away from
poplar.

Good luck with your project!

Renata