Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXXIV

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

725 useful clamps for holding sheet metal together while tack welding or
generally anything they can be used for. Mine have rubber inserts in the
end rings in place of the metal cups shown.

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

721 Valve lapping tool for engines.

722 Fuel checker for a Cessna. Push it into a fitting on the fuel tank
sump to drain a bit of fuel
so you can look for contaminants.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

720 Chastity belt for a man
721 For hand lapping cylinder head valves
722 AA approved shot glass
723 NFC
724 Strap wrench without the strap
725 Tool for installing grommets or buttons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

720.. Fifth wheel pin lock for semi-truck trailer....goes on trailer to
keep someone from stealing trailer.

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

725 is missing foam rubber pads under each of the metal "buttons". I know
*exactly* what this is, it's a clamp to hold your nostrils closed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

723: Travelers portable security lock for motel/hotel doors.

The tab on the large flat piece goes into the door frame latch and the
pin (it's spring loaded) then goes into the appropriate hole in the
serrated groove to hold the door closed.

725: Adjustable nipple clamp - it's missing the rubber pads. Usually
seen in pairs. Don't ask me how I know. blush

Carla
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

71) A candlestick for people who burn the candle at
both ends.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I think 720 might be a device that can go over a door handle and be locked
to prevent the door handle from turning.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

720. I dunno, but if anyone can tell me for sure what THIS lock was
intended to secure I'd be grateful:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/lock.jpg

I've had it in my collection of techno oddities for about 30 years, and
as yet I haven't received a confirmable answer about it. The antique
shop owner I bought it from had no idea what it was used for.

I 'spose it could lock into a groove on a shaft to keep the shaft from
being slid out of something, or keep something on the shaft, but that's
about all I can think of.

It has no markings on it and looks hand made, so it might just be a
"master piece" created by an apprentice locksmith as his "thesis
presentation", and had no particular practical application.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
R.H. wrote:
[...]

Well, if memory serves me, is it not a kingpin lock? The king is the part of
the trailer that attaches to the 5th wheel of a semi truck. I used to drive
otr and had one in my side box. Never used it cause I never dropped my
trailer that wasn't in a secure place. I never really measured the kingpin
or 5th wheel, or even the lock. That's just sort of what mine looked like.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
[...]

Oooops, I thought you was talking about 720 of the puzzle. Sorry. Might
ought to start reading a little further down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual:

720) It looks to me as though it is a locking anti-theft cover
for something like the fittings for filling a LNG tank, or
perhaps an above-ground gasoline tank.

You unlock it and slide it off to gain access to the wrench
fittings to allow refilling.

721) Hmm ... a bit short to be a massage roller for people's backs.

It looks like small suction cups on the ends, so I will guess
that it is for positioning glass in a window or somewhere else
during assembly or repair.

722) Assuming that the apparent taper is really from the perspective
and that it is in reality a cylinder, I would suggest that this
may be a piston for a dashpot assembly.

Or perhaps a float operating a valve.

723) looks like fittings for supporting a shelf in a bookcase,
allowing fairly precise tuning of the height of the shelf. The
cylindrical part would fit into a hole in the upright dividers,
while the "button" end would fit into the stepped V-slot and be
slid in or out to select the desired height.

724) Looks like a tool for bending a sheet metal tab for some
function or other.

Or -- it might grip a bent-up flange on something like a
radiator cap or fuel cap to allow turning it easily. I would
suggest aircraft, except that cast iron seems to be overkill for
the purpose, and an aluminum tool would be better suited.

725) It looks like a small spring compressor. If it were able to
open wider, I might suggest that it could be used to couple
flanges on the ends of tubes.

USAAF suggests "United States Army Air Force", from the days
before the Air Force became a separate branch of the military.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

725 has had several plausible answers, but not the one I think I
remember--hanging up film to dry. (and, yes, I agree that it originally had
rubber jaws.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

for 720 check
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=214

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:29:47 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

722 - Light aircraft fuel tester. The pin works a drain valve under the
wing, then you can draw off a sample and look for water contamination.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

[...]

I think it's a bit small for a kingpin lock. The center hole is just
about one inch diameter and a link from another poster here shows what
appears to be the same No. 720 puzzle object having a 2.86" inside diameter.

Just for ****s and giggles I stuck it in my pocket this morning on the
way to work and tried it on the neck of a regular ball type trailer
hitch on one of the vehicles in the parking lot. As I suspected, it was
too small for that too.

Jeff

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news

R.H. wrote:

[...]

Well, there again, if I had looked before I leaped!! I need to read more!
:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

725 could 'fit' as either a photograph holder or a nose clamp (as
suggested by others), if you assume USAAF stands for US Army Air Force.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Han't been following, but 720 is a kingpin lock, 721 is a valve grinding
stick, and 722 is an aircraft fuel sampling cup.

LLoyd

wrote in message
ups.com...

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

R.H. wrote:

[...]

Closest I can get in 5 minuts of googling:

http://www.padlock.s-a-w.net/seiten/9642.htm

Dave

Well done, thanks!

That one looks more practical for joining something like two chain ends
than mine does.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default Jeff's Wuddizit was What is it? CXXIV

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:34:22 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

SNIP
720. I dunno, but if anyone can tell me for sure what THIS lock was
intended to secure I'd be grateful:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/lock.jpg

I've had it in my collection of techno oddities for about 30 years, and as
yet I haven't received a confirmable answer about it. The antique shop
owner I bought it from had no idea what it was used for.

I 'spose it could lock into a groove on a shaft to keep the shaft from
being slid out of something, or keep something on the shaft, but that's
about all I can think of.

It has no markings on it and looks hand made, so it might just be a
"master piece" created by an apprentice locksmith as his "thesis
presentation", and had no particular practical application.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

Hey Jeff,

I've never seen one like it, but it may possibly have been a lock-out
for some cable controlled apparatus, such as a
built-in-the-early-1900's-elevator. These old freight (mostly)
elevators used a hand-cable to shift the over-head line-shaft crossed
belt system to achieve direction and brake application. If that were
locked around the cable, it may have prevented operation, Hand cables
were nominally 3/8" wire rope, with about 2" clamp balls to adjust and
limit throw.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
723: Travelers portable security lock for motel/hotel doors.

The tab on the large flat piece goes into the door frame latch and the
pin (it's spring loaded) then goes into the appropriate hole in the
serrated groove to hold the door closed.

725: Adjustable nipple clamp - it's missing the rubber pads. Usually
seen in pairs. Don't ask me how I know. blush

Carla.

This clamp is much too tight to be used on any part of the body, it would
cause serious damage. You're probably thinking of a clover clamp, they have
a spring and aren't as strong.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

All have been answered correctly this week:

720. King pin lock for 5th wheel style trailers

721. Valve regrinding tool

722. Fuel testing cup

723. Portable safety door lock

724. Steel strapping tool

725. Multi-purpose clamp

Four new photos and a few links have been posted on the answer page, with
two additional links after the last photo:

http://pzphotosan26w-8.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Forgot to mention thanks to everyone who clued me in about number 725, I
thought it was some type of clamp but didn't know it was missing the rubber
pieces.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in
:

This clamp is much too tight to be used on any part of the body, it
would cause serious damage. You're probably thinking of a clover
clamp, they have a spring and aren't as strong.

I see now that it would be too tight. It is very similar in design/shape
to a nasal clamp. I'm claiming half-credit for the missing sponge bit.
What's a clover clamp?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote in
:

"R.H." wrote in
:

This clamp is much too tight to be used on any part of the body, it
would cause serious damage. You're probably thinking of a clover
clamp, they have a spring and aren't as strong.

I see now that it would be too tight. It is very similar in
design/shape to a nasal clamp. I'm claiming half-credit for the
missing sponge bit. What's a clover clamp?

Clover clamp - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clover_clamp
Oh!.....never mind....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
723: Travelers portable security lock for motel/hotel doors.

The tab on the large flat piece goes into the door frame latch and the
pin (it's spring loaded) then goes into the appropriate hole in the
serrated groove to hold the door closed.

725: Adjustable nipple clamp - it's missing the rubber pads. Usually
seen in pairs. Don't ask me how I know. blush

Carla.

This clamp is much too tight to be used on any part of the body, it would
cause serious damage. You're probably thinking of a clover clamp, they have
a spring and aren't as strong.

Rob

Oh really?

smile

Carla

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff
you pay good money for in later life." ---Emo Philips
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:56:30 -0700, Carla Fong
wrote:

R.H. wrote:

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
723: Travelers portable security lock for motel/hotel doors.

The tab on the large flat piece goes into the door frame latch and the
pin (it's spring loaded) then goes into the appropriate hole in the
serrated groove to hold the door closed.

725: Adjustable nipple clamp - it's missing the rubber pads. Usually
seen in pairs. Don't ask me how I know. blush

Carla.

This clamp is much too tight to be used on any part of the body, it would
cause serious damage. You're probably thinking of a clover clamp, they have
a spring and aren't as strong.

Rob

Oh really?

smile

Carla

Now you're scaring me.

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff
you pay good money for in later life." ---Emo Philips

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:49:41 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:29:47 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

722 - Light aircraft fuel tester. The pin works a drain valve under the
wing, then you can draw off a sample and look for water contamination.

And then you throw it out on the ramp. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:12:58 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

725 has had several plausible answers, but not the one I think I
remember--hanging up film to dry. (and, yes, I agree that it originally had
rubber jaws.)

I've seen those film tongs, but never with that locking lever. I was
thinking, "pocket grommet squasher", but that's kind of silly - then
whoever came up with "nipple ring (without the rubber pads)" kinda
struck me, but in reality I think it's just some kind of generic
clamp that a bunch of people found useful for various things, and
so, since they were selling, they made more. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
"Carla Fong" wrote in message
723: Travelers portable security lock for motel/hotel doors.

The tab on the large flat piece goes into the door frame latch and the
pin (it's spring loaded) then goes into the appropriate hole in the
serrated groove to hold the door closed.

725: Adjustable nipple clamp - it's missing the rubber pads. Usually
seen in pairs. Don't ask me how I know. blush

This clamp is much too tight to be used on any part of the body, it would
cause serious damage. You're probably thinking of a clover clamp, they have
a spring and aren't as strong.

Oh really?

smile

Now you're scaring me.

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff
you pay good money for in later life." ---Emo Philips

We have nothing to fear but Nothing itself.

Cheers!
Rich
--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:10:10 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

720. I dunno, but if anyone can tell me for sure what THIS lock was
intended to secure I'd be grateful:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/lock.jpg

Valve stem lock. Stops you screwing it down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:12:58 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

725 has had several plausible answers, but not the one I think I
remember--hanging up film to dry. (and, yes, I agree that it originally had
rubber jaws.)

I've seen those film tongs, but never with that locking lever. I was
thinking, "pocket grommet squasher", but that's kind of silly - then
whoever came up with "nipple ring (without the rubber pads)" kinda
struck me, but in reality I think it's just some kind of generic
clamp that a bunch of people found useful for various things, and
so, since they were selling, they made more. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

I think it was adapted for a USAAF use in WWII. I think the Air Force
bought them, had them engraved to discourage theft for household
purposes, then issued them in large numbers.

I wonder how oxygen was distributed in a bomber. If a line were torn,
everybody dependent on that tank could soon pass out unless a crewman
had a locking clamp in his pocket.

It may have been issued to ground crews to pinch a tube during maintenance.