Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Compressor size for HVLP

I plan to purchase a compressor at Sears( because I have a $350 credit)
I was looking on line at the 3hp Craftsman $400.00, 30 gal vertical
tank, oil lube, cast iron head, wheels,150 psi, 115 psi cut in,15 amp
compressor. Right know I dont need that size for tires and blowing air.
The reason for the larger size is for future HVLP spraying of finish.
The other future items bag vacumn pressing, finish nailer I wont need
the size. If I dont need this 155 lb unit for HVLP please advise. My
question is what are the requirments for basement woodworking /Spraying
and what spray gun or source? Any good web sites on learning spraying
that is recommended? Please insult my choice if its a bad choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

You need to know the requirements of the gun. Many require 10 CFM (or more)@
40 PSI, which I doubt a 30 gallon can deliver. I have a similar compressor,
and I found an HVLP gun at Home Despot that only uses 8 CFM. My compressor
is rated for 7.4 @ 40, so I'm good as long as I don't try to spray
constantly.

HVLP requires a large volume of air, so in some cases you actually need a
bigger compressor than with a non-HVLP gun.

You can get a standalone HVLP unit. I have the $79.00 unit from Rockler
(Turbine and gun). It's only single stage, but it works surprisingly well.

"henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I plan to purchase a compressor at Sears( because I have a $350 credit)
I was looking on line at the 3hp Craftsman $400.00, 30 gal vertical
tank, oil lube, cast iron head, wheels,150 psi, 115 psi cut in,15 amp
compressor. Right know I dont need that size for tires and blowing air.
The reason for the larger size is for future HVLP spraying of finish.
The other future items bag vacumn pressing, finish nailer I wont need
the size. If I dont need this 155 lb unit for HVLP please advise. My
question is what are the requirments for basement woodworking /Spraying
and what spray gun or source? Any good web sites on learning spraying
that is recommended? Please insult my choice if its a bad choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

henry wrote:
I plan to purchase a compressor at Sears( because I have a $350 credit)
I was looking on line at the 3hp Craftsman $400.00, 30 gal vertical
tank, oil lube, cast iron head, wheels,150 psi, 115 psi cut in,15 amp
compressor. Right know I dont need that size for tires and blowing air.
The reason for the larger size is for future HVLP spraying of finish.
The other future items bag vacumn pressing, finish nailer I wont need
the size. If I dont need this 155 lb unit for HVLP please advise. My
question is what are the requirments for basement woodworking /Spraying
and what spray gun or source? Any good web sites on learning spraying
that is recommended? Please insult my choice if its a bad choice.

It depends on the spray gun. Typically a conversion guns require about
8.5 to 10 CFM at 40 PSI but there are guns available that require as
little as 4 to 4.5 CFM at 40 PSI.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can get 5HP for $400 at the big stores. I'd watch for the biggest Sears
to come on sale, considering the credit.
Remember, it's still going to need a dryer/filter for spraying. All the
more so since it will be running flat out and condensing a lot of water to
dirve the HVLP. The only good thing going is that you can use a lot of
other air tools. My jitterbug auto sander is much better than any of my
electrics!

If you just want to do HVLP, then get a turbine and start with clean air!
The oilless will not have oil, but will still have water and will make a
hellacious racket.

I haven't tried it, but I expect some of the big shop vacs will run an HVLP
gun. The HVLP turbine is usually an Ametek vacuum unit, at least many of
them. You can see some vacuum motors on the Grainger site.
Wilson
"gw" wrote in message
You need to know the requirements of the gun. Many require 10 CFM (or
more)@ 40 PSI, which I doubt a 30 gallon can deliver. I have a similar
compressor, and I found an HVLP gun at Home Despot that only uses 8 CFM.
My compressor is rated for 7.4 @ 40, so I'm good as long as I don't try to
spray constantly.

HVLP requires a large volume of air, so in some cases you actually need a
bigger compressor than with a non-HVLP gun.

You can get a standalone HVLP unit. I have the $79.00 unit from Rockler
(Turbine and gun). It's only single stage, but it works surprisingly well.

oups.com...