Posted to rec.woodworking
JAV JAV is offline

Default Poplar wood

I have been planing poplar wood down to various thicknesses (1/8" - 1/2",
planed one side) for various projects, and was wondering if this wood would
be useful to the dollhouse maker or collector. I have lengths from a few
inches on up to 36" boards. The poplar is very nice, lightweight, and the
shades and tones vary. I even have some specimens with the famous the green
and purple streaks.

My question is, is this sort of thing of any value to the wood crafter, and
if so, where could I share my pictures? I have a surplus, and I'm sure
someone could benefit from these, but don't know how to share the news.

One thing I don't want to do, is put it up on eBay, since that's what
everyone else does. Gets kind of crowded in that box after a while. Besides,
I want to get in touch with other wood crafters with ideas to share. I got
some great ideas from this group, and am trying out my hand at it all.
However, I have discovered that I'm the handiest with the planer (some
talent, huh?).

I have used some of the wood for jig sawing small letters and animals. The
oak wood is actually better, since it doesn't crack as quickly. But the
poplar is very nice for siding on doll houses, or even small boxes (that
won't carry much weight). I also created a nice thread spool rack/shelf for
my wife, and added a carved dove in the middle. I quickly learned how
important the dust mask was. BOY-OH-BOY does poplar create some fine dust.
Someone told me it's in the same family as sumac. I don't know about that,
but it sure does bug my sinuses, and burns my eyes, almost as much as cedar.

Also, I was wondering why there exists an alt.woodworking as well. This
newsgroup appears to cover the same topic, and is much more popular, and
bigger source of ideas.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why don't you see if the local craft shops and hobby stores are interested
in it. Selling to them would eliminate advertising and shipping costs (other
than your own mileage). They might even buy enough of it to keep you as busy
as you want to be for a home based operation.

--
Charley

"JAV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
JAV JAV is offline

Hey, that's a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I don't
think they'll need enough of it to keep me working at home, but if it pays
for the planer blades, that would be great! What's more, I wonder if they
would be willing to trade me for some other kinds of wood?

Thanks for the great idea! I'll let you know how it turns out.

"JAV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
JAV JAV is offline

Well, hopes are dashed again. I only have a Hobby Lobby near by, and they
say they are not authorized to purchase locally. They must get all supplies
from their Oklahoma office.

Thanks for the idea anyway. If anyone else has some clues for online craft
trading sites, please let me know.

Thanks again.