Posted to rec.woodworking
pb pb is offline

Default Wood Magazine Potting Bench Plans

Hi folks,
Would anyone know where I can get the plans for a potting bench with
doors from "Wood" magazine, first published about 20 years ago?

A photo of the finished project can be seen at a
href="http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://mcquain.cs.vt.edu/Woodworking/PottingBench.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mcquain.cs.vt.edu/interest.htm&h=1944&w=2592&sz=643&hl=en&start=4&tb nid=gn-zftCtAp7gMM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpotting%2Bbench%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3 D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN"Google
Images/a.

I know this is a long shot, but any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Pam

Posted to rec.woodworking

pb wrote:
Hi folks,
Would anyone know where I can get the plans for a potting bench with
doors from "Wood" magazine, first published about 20 years ago?

A photo of the finished project can be seen at a
href="http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://mcquain.cs.vt.edu/Woodworking/PottingBench.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mcquain.cs.vt.edu/interest.htm&h=1944&w=2592&sz=643&hl=en&start=4&tb nid=gn-zftCtAp7gMM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpotting%2Bbench%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3 D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN"Google
Images/a.

I know this is a long shot, but any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Pam

Pam,
It would seem to me that you could generate some plans of your own,
based on that photo; you could get exact dimensions of space available
or whatever, and tailor those plans to your specific needs and desires.
That potting bench doesn't look like too terribly complicated an
undertaking. The hard part is getting SOMETHING down on paper and
fiddling with the dimensions to get all of the pieces to fit
together--you know, take off 3/4" for the thickness of the wood on the
end and so forth.

I'm all for working from a plan, but creating that plan is half the fun
for me and quite a few others as well. I'm sure that as you refine
your ideas into a blueprint, plenty of folks here will be more than
willing to give you all the help they can.

Good luck,
-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

check this out!
http://store.woodstore.net/pottingbench1.html

wrote in message
ups.com...

pb wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
pb pb is offline

Thank you! I never even thought of looking on their web site because it
was so old.
Tom wrote:
check this out!
http://store.woodstore.net/pottingbench1.html

wrote in message
ups.com...

pb wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
pb pb is offline

Thanks Phil, but I'm afraid I'm not the woodworker. A friend is going
to build it for me, and he asked me to enquire for him. I guess he's
more comfortable working from plans.
wrote:
pb wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Jul 2006 21:22:34 -0700, "pb" wrote:

Would anyone know where I can get the plans for a potting bench with
doors from "Wood" magazine, first published about 20 years ago?

Looks like you've found it now.

Not sure if this stuff exists in the USA, but here in the UK if you go
to a scrapyard for truck trailers, there are some of them that use a
thick plywood side material with a melamine sheet bonded to it. This
is the best worktop for a potting bench I've ever seen, and it was cheap
too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
pb pb is offline

Thanks Andy. That's a great idea. We will definitely need a
water-resistant surface.