Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXXIII

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

719. oscilloscope
Karl

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:25:49 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;This week's set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;

714 is a clay pigeon

719 osciliscope
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Unknown wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:25:49 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;This week's set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;

714 is a clay pigeon

It is? What, like a mini-battue? 3" diameter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

sewiv wrote:
Unknown wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:25:49 GMT, "R.H." wrote:
714 is a clay pigeon

It is? What, like a mini-battue? 3" diameter.

I'm going to go with weight for a set of scales. I bet the exact weight
is stamped on the other side and that's why we don't get to see the
bottom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

714

715

716

717- something involved in bookbinding

718

719 tektronix oscilloscope

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

714. Gauge block

715. Sheet metal hammer

716. Needle valve needle sharpener

717. Book binder

718. Electric power switch

719. 100 MHz Oscilloscope

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:25:49 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

714 - abrasive lapping plate?

715 - twisted face hammer, used for setting large saws
(very large saws!)

717 - Bookbinding press, used for holding signatures while you sew them.
Probably American, as Europe tended to use a traditional wooden press
for this with the signature held vertically.

719 - oscilloscope. Looks like a Tektronix? Mid '90s AFAIR and the
little blue digital display is a built in DMM. Probably the last and
most over-engineered analogue scope made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:25:49 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

snip

717 - Bookbinding press, used for holding signatures while you sew them.
Probably American, as Europe tended to use a traditional wooden press
for this with the signature held vertically.

Slight correction, books go in a "Sewing Frame" for sewing, not a press.
Bookbinding presses are for rounding and backing, casing in, trimming (with
the plough), gilding, probably a few other operations that don't spring to
mind at the moment. Not sewing, though. Only time you would do anything like
sewing with the book in the press is when retro-fitting some thread or cord
into an adhesive binding (like strengthening a paperback).

I don't think 717 is a bookbinding press, it doesn't look like any BB press
I've seen or made.

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

snip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

[...]

I forgot to include the patent date on my site: 1-12-04. It was marked
"bookbinder", I guess they made them different over 100 years ago. Other
text on it reads "Boorum & Pease L.L.B. Co." The ruler on it has zero in
the middle and goes to ten in both directions in what looks to be half inch
increments:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...04/pic717c.jpg

Thanks for the info on BB presses.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:34:43 -0400, "Adam Smith"
wrote:

717 - Bookbinding press, used for holding signatures while you sew them.
Probably American, as Europe tended to use a traditional wooden press
for this with the signature held vertically.

Slight correction, books go in a "Sewing Frame" for sewing, not a press.

I think that's also a regional variation. Although we're talking about
the same thing (lightweight, wooden, holds things) rather than a real
press (heavy, iron, squashes things) they get called "presses" too.

Round here a "press" can also mean simply a cupboard!

I don't think 717 is a bookbinding press, it doesn't look like any BB press
I've seen or made.

There's a similar one in our local bookbinding museum, although it's for
magazine and pamphlet work rather than books. Supposedly it was used for
posh art magazines around 1900.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I still ithink/i that the
English bookbinding references I've read refer to the sewing frame as such,
rather than as a "press", but I wouldn't want to swear to it. The sewing
frame has no top cheek at all only a cross bar for tying the cords or tapes.
The signatures just rest loose on one another and are sewn through with one
hand inside the open fold. There is lots of use for small wooden presses
that hold things, like small variants of the lying press. We use those as
well, and also call them "presses" though as you note they are really used
more like a bench vise for books. Not the same thing as a sewing frame,
though. The type of thing I'm referring to is the leading image at
http://www.uwm.edu/~bryskier/bookbinding.htm

Of course there was/is a fair bit of regional variation in the trade lingo,
and as you note English English definitely has a more catholic
interpretation of "press". You definitely have me beat on item 717, though.
I'll be forwarding the picture as an FYI to a few binders, be curious to
hear if anyone has used one of these things.

Regards,

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

wrote:

717 - Bookbinding press, used for holding signatures while you sew them.
Probably American, as Europe tended to use a traditional wooden press
for this with the signature held vertically.

Slight correction, books go in a "Sewing Frame" for sewing, not a press.

I think that's also a regional variation. Although we're talking about
the same thing (lightweight, wooden, holds things) rather than a real
press (heavy, iron, squashes things) they get called "presses" too.

Round here a "press" can also mean simply a cupboard!

I don't think 717 is a bookbinding press, it doesn't look like any BB
press
I've seen or made.

There's a similar one in our local bookbinding museum, although it's for
magazine and pamphlet work rather than books. Supposedly it was used for
posh art magazines around 1900.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:14:10 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:25:49 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

714 - abrasive lapping plate?

715 - twisted face hammer, used for setting large saws
(very large saws!)

717 - Bookbinding press, used for holding signatures while you sew them.
Probably American, as Europe tended to use a traditional wooden press
for this with the signature held vertically.

719 - oscilloscope. Looks like a Tektronix? Mid '90s AFAIR and the
little blue digital display is a built in DMM. Probably the last and
most over-engineered analogue scope made.

I've been out of the loop too long. I was going to guess HP, because
it's orange. I've never seen an orange Tek scope - they've all been
blue.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:36:03 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

I've been out of the loop too long. I was going to guess HP, because
it's orange. I've never seen an orange Tek scope - they've all been
blue.

I think that's just a colour cast from tungsten light.

I said Tek because the vernier knobs are red, it looks a bit more
sophisticated than a cheap Hameg or other Asian scope (more red knobs)
and I remember them having the built-in DMM / frequency counter.

A HP would have bigger, tasteful grey knobs and they'd probably be
missing because HP's knobs always used to break.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've been out of the loop too long. I was going to guess HP, because
it's orange. I've never seen an orange Tek scope - they've all been
blue.

I think that's just a colour cast from tungsten light.

I said Tek because the vernier knobs are red, it looks a bit more
sophisticated than a cheap Hameg or other Asian scope (more red knobs)
and I remember them having the built-in DMM / frequency counter.

A HP would have bigger, tasteful grey knobs and they'd probably be
missing because HP's knobs always used to break.

Another clue: The model number is shown in the picture.

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Andy Dingley :

[ ... ]

A HP would have bigger, tasteful grey knobs and they'd probably be
missing because HP's knobs always used to break.

Yes -- they were some form of Bakelite with too little (or no)
metal inserts, so the stress of the setscrews would eventually split the
knobs -- especially on the smaller ones.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As usual -- I'm posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

714) A cute little lapping plate, I believe. Perhaps for
lens grinding.

The grooves allow some of the excess grit to flow off of the
surface, and be added back with a fresh cycle when you
momentarily lift the workpiece from contact.

715) A right-handed hammer for something -- either anvil work
or stonework at a guess. (Right handed because of the angle
that the faces make with the handle.)

716) Valve for something which needs to be insulated from the
ambient air temperature.

I would suggest that it is either for tapping a beer keg of some
particular flavor, or for something like a liquid nitrogen or
liquid helium Dewar. The small fitting opposite the valve
handle suggests the latter.

717) I would think that this is for bookbinding -- perhaps for
creasing the join of the covers to the spine.

718) At a guess, something for stropping a razor edge of some form.

The leather shows some discoloration which suggest jeweler's
rouge.

I can't quite figure out what would go in the cradle -- perhaps
for stropping a sharpened wheel on a butcher's slicer.

719) Beyond doubt -- the control panel for a Tektronix oscilloscope.

Not quite the model of my latest (which is still far from new),
but about the same period.

The (crt) display is to the left of the control panel in this
style of 'scope. You can just see the side of the bezel
surrounding it.

This one has some nice additional features, represented by the
digital display in the upper-right-hand corner.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
Don.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Five of the six have been answered so far:

714. Lapping plate

715. Saw hammer

716. Cactus needle sharpener

717. Bookbinder, the link on the answer page is the same one posted here by
Adam.

718. Hard to tell from just the one angle, but I agree with DoN that it
could be for stropping a blade.

719. Oscilloscope

Several new photos, a few links, and a correction for number 694 can be
found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan125-n.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Five of the six have been answered so far:

716. Cactus needle sharpener

Out of curiosity -- was this expected to be placed on the
platter and spun by that, with the user's hand holding the wooden
cylinder against rotation?

Are there instructions on the back of that box for it?

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote (referring to cactus needle sharpener): Out of
curiosity -- was this expected to be placed on the platter and spun by that,
with the user's hand holding the wooden cylinder against rotation?

Are there instructions on the back of that box for it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are no instructions on the box, and I have no idea whether it
originally had printed instructions with it. Here is how it would be used:
You can see that the needle is held in a small chuck, which is driven by a
wheel with a rubber tire. The tire is in contact with a sandpaper ring,
which the tip of the needle also touches. You would hold the wooden base in
one hand, and spin the green handle back and forth, applying gentle pressure
against the sandpaper. The rubber tire would roll on the sandpaper, forcing
the needle to revolve counter to its direction of motion, producing a little
conical tip.

I mentioned to Rob in a separate e-mail, and I'll add here, just for fun--I
also have a few phono needles that are made of bone, and have a triangular
cross section. One end is sanded off at an angle, to produce a sharp tip,
and this can be resharpened by sanding it very lightly.