Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Remember you back, Or Else

I recently got a very strong message from my body. "He stupid, you ain't 30
any more!"

I have been about 1/2 retired for four years and do contract consulting
about 1,000 hours per year. During off-time I stay pretty active in the
shop and doing other things. I finished a fairly difficult contract during
early June that had me working 50 to 70 hours/week for a few months. When I
finished I decided it would be a good time to build 225 feet of privacy
fence. Also a good opportunity to work off some of the weight I had gained.
Stupid idea without some pre-conditioning.

During weeks 2 and 3 after finishing the contract I spent 6 to 10 hours a
day digging holes, lifting 60 and 80 pound bag of concrete and erecting the
fence. In retrospect, my back was giving me little messages that I wrote
off to fatigue and need for exercise. Two weeks ago today I was standing in
the kitchen pouring a glass of water when I developed the first
sledge-hammer effects of Sciatica. For those who haven't ****ed their
Sciatic Nerve yet let me describe it. It feels like the worst hip-to-toes
Charlie-horse you have ever experienced with added stinging and burning.
The bad part is you cannot walk it off. Also throw in numbness in toes and
ankles. I spent most of one week alternately lying or standing because
sitting was out of the question. During this period I felt goofy and sleepy
from muscle relaxants and large doses of Ibuprofen (I refuse to take the
narcotics). After getting some relief from drugs I started with a
Chiropractic therapist and I'm getting some steady relief. In a week or
two I might be able to pull my pants on or tie my shoes without hurting.

Guys, if your home or shop work has you thinking about cramping, stinging
pain in you lower back, buttock area and knees you might want to take a
break. I have "thrown the back out" a few times but Sciatica is nothing to
screw with. Doctor and therapist say it might take 2-3 months to get back
to normal.

If this is what it feels like to be 60, I can't wait for 80.

RonB

PS - Anyone want to finish the last 16 feet of fence? That's the part with
the Arbor gate made from 10' 4x6's. Just askin'.