Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HS woodworking slideshow

Ran into this on YouTube. No affiliation - just liked it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMywWI3vHEU

Posted to rec.woodworking

........- just liked it.

I understand why you liked it and thanks for sharing. It's good to see
youngsters being led out of the norm toward an interest, and profession,
that can be very rewarding. Too many of our youth are led to believe that
the only road to success is through an MBA or Engineering degree.

I grew up in a very small SE Kansas town. Three young men received shop
basics in the local high school and then entered the Wood Technology Program
at nearby Pittsburg State University School of Technology. While this
occured over a 15-20 year time span all have been very successful. One
built up an industrial office furniture operation, sold it (getting rich in
the process) and returned to his real love - a hometown custom cabinet shop.
The other two, brothers, started a yacht interior business in the Kansas
City area. They operated for some time using subcontractors. But recently
they built a large, high-tech shop in our home town and are building some of
the most beautiful (and expensive) cabinetry I have seen. Most work is NC.

Our own son also attended Pitt State's Construction Technology School, also
part of the Tech Center. Quote him, every evening he can look over his
shoulder and see something they accomplished that day. His rewards come in
satisfaction as well as good money.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have both an engineering degree AND an MBA, but woodworking is still my
obsession. Unfortunately, WW has not become a revenue source for me, let
alone enough of a profit to sustain itself. The tides are starting to turn
as it comes to professions and what kids are being pointed towards though.
I still like the following...

A woman passes a man on the street and notices that he is wearing an
outstanding suit. She stops him and says "That is quite a suit. You must
be a banker?" The man says "Nah, I'm a plumber. A banker couldn't afford
this suit."

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ran into this on YouTube. No affiliation - just liked it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMywWI3vHEU

There are some other related clips there that are interesting...

The Woodworking Channel gary in virginia Woodworking 19 April 16th 06 07:48 AM
The Woodworking Channel? Arch Woodturning 18 March 29th 06 02:29 PM
FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM