Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mystery Wood

Well, at least it's a mystery to me. I'm hoping someone might be
kind enough to help me identify some wood I've come across. I've
tried looking at some sites on the Internet that show pictures of
different species of wood, but I just don't know enough about what I'm
looking at. Here's some pictures of what I'm trying to identify:

http://bob.atww.net/main.php/v/MysteryWood/

I recently acquired a piece of broken furniture and I'm taking it
apart to reuse the wood. The original piece appeared to be a futon
frame.

The pictures show some bits from the piece, after I ran it through
my planer to dimension and remove the finish. It would seem to be
some type of soft wood as I can make an indentation in it with a
finger nail if I try.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Moos wrote:
Well, at least it's a mystery to me. I'm hoping someone might be
kind enough to help me identify some wood I've come across. I've
tried looking at some sites on the Internet that show pictures of
different species of wood, but I just don't know enough about what I'm
looking at. Here's some pictures of what I'm trying to identify:

http://bob.atww.net/main.php/v/MysteryWood/

G'day Bob,
Looks like Merranti to me.
Regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Moos wrote:

Well, at least it's a mystery to me. I'm hoping someone might be
kind enough to help me identify some wood I've come across. I've
tried looking at some sites on the Internet that show pictures of
different species of wood, but I just don't know enough about what I'm
looking at. Here's some pictures of what I'm trying to identify:

http://bob.atww.net/main.php/v/MysteryWood/

I recently acquired a piece of broken furniture and I'm taking it
apart to reuse the wood. The original piece appeared to be a futon
frame.

The pictures show some bits from the piece, after I ran it through
my planer to dimension and remove the finish. It would seem to be
some type of soft wood as I can make an indentation in it with a
finger nail if I try.

You don't say where you are--if you're in the US you could send Forest
Products Laboratories a sample and they'll identify it for you, at least as
far as can be done by examining the wood itself. They'll do something like
5 a year free for US citizens and handle foreign inquiries on an available
time (i.e. after all the US inquiries have been processed which if they
have a heavy workload means "take forever") basis.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Moos wrote:

Well, at least it's a mystery to me. I'm hoping someone might be
kind enough to help me identify some wood I've come across. I've
tried looking at some sites on the Internet that show pictures of
different species of wood, but I just don't know enough about what I'm
looking at. Here's some pictures of what I'm trying to identify:

http://bob.atww.net/main.php/v/MysteryWood/

I recently acquired a piece of broken furniture and I'm taking it
apart to reuse the wood. The original piece appeared to be a futon
frame.

The pictures show some bits from the piece, after I ran it through
my planer to dimension and remove the finish. It would seem to be
some type of soft wood as I can make an indentation in it with a
finger nail if I try.

Thanks!

I forgot to provide the FPL link
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

Looks like Merranti to me.

I think that's it! I took a look at this site[1] to compare what
it says about Merranti and the wood I've got and they seem to be a
match. I think the stuff I have falls into the "light red" catagory.

Thanks for the help!

[1]: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...cs/meranti.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

You don't say where you are--if you're in the US you could send Forest
Products Laboratories a sample and they'll identify it for you, at
least as far as can be done by examining the wood itself.

[...]
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind if I run into any more
mystery wood.