DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question re 3M safest Stripper (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/168607-question-re-3m-safest-stripper.html)

Brian Siano July 9th 06 06:37 AM

Question re 3M safest Stripper

I'm using Safest stripper on a furniture project (see
http://www.briansiano.com for details), and I have a question.

It's somewhat difficult to ensure that a nice, even coat of stripper
goes on. Since Safest Stripper is water-based, would it be worth it to
dilute the stuff so i could use a pump to spray it on evenly?

I know this would probably make it less effective, or make it work
slowly, but I can work with that: I'd just leave the stripper on for
longer, with plastic wrap on top to keep it moist.

But has anyone tried this?

Prometheus July 9th 06 11:02 PM

Question re 3M safest Stripper

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 05:37:30 GMT, Brian Siano
wrote:

I'm using Safest stripper on a furniture project (see
http://www.briansiano.com for details), and I have a question.

It's somewhat difficult to ensure that a nice, even coat of stripper
goes on. Since Safest Stripper is water-based, would it be worth it to
dilute the stuff so i could use a pump to spray it on evenly?

I know it seems really thick, but you should be able to spray the
stuff as is. I'd try that before diluting it, myself.

I know this would probably make it less effective, or make it work
slowly, but I can work with that: I'd just leave the stripper on for
longer, with plastic wrap on top to keep it moist.

But has anyone tried this?

Yep- not with "Safest Stripper", but I've used similar stuff in old
windex spray bottles, and it worked fine.

July 9th 06 11:19 PM

Question re 3M safest Stripper

In article uC0sg.4483$Ep.2488@trnddc08,
Brian Siano wrote:
I'm using Safest stripper on a furniture project (see
http://www.briansiano.com for details), and I have a question.

It's somewhat difficult to ensure that a nice, even coat of stripper
goes on. Since Safest Stripper is water-based, would it be worth it to
dilute the stuff so i could use a pump to spray it on evenly?

I know this would probably make it less effective, or make it work
slowly, but I can work with that: I'd just leave the stripper on for
longer, with plastic wrap on top to keep it moist.

But has anyone tried this?

It's a coat of stripper, not a coat of varnish. It doesn't have to be
a "nice , even coat." :)

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland