Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Auto Painters for Kitchen Cabinets

I heard you can take your kitchen cabinets to an auto painting
business and have them done there. Has anyone ever tried this? Can
anyone share costs? I know I am supposed to do it myself, but I will
take the cabinets down and transport!

Posted to rec.woodworking

When we replaced our kitchen cabinets, some of the old ones were thrown out.
A few I recycled. I hated the old dark drown finish but it was a major task
to attempt to remove, especially in the cabinet doors.

So I spray painted a few items. The results are mixed. The frames and
drawer fronts painted easily. I just cleaned any grease from the surface.

The cabinet doors painted easily, but depending on the door, when the panel
moved with normal seasonal moisture differences, it cracked the paint
between panel and frame. In this case it is white over the dark brown and
so shows. Thankfully this was placed in the laundry room. I will
eventually attempt a re-paint.

In my PC room I put one of these which was painted green. So sign of
cracking. This one looks the best.

I do not normally paint wooden furniture, but this was the only way to cover
the old finish without spending far too much time.

I used latex paint. I do not think you need to go to an auto body place.
They are set up for car paints which are very different. I would invest in
a small air compressor and spray gun and have some fun yourself.

I would expect some potential cracking for cabinet panel movements, but
otherwise this should work for you.

Dave Paine.