Posted to rec.woodworking
Gizmofiddler

Default Drilling dowel ends

What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in the end of
a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle? I want the holes to be in the exact
center so I can use them as rollers.
I am new to woodworking and I'm sure there must be a trick to this.

anyone?
~Tom
aka Gizmofiddler..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Gizmofiddler wrote:
What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in

the end of
a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle?

A lathe.

More specifically, a metal, not a wood working lathe.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Gizmofiddler wrote:
What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in the
end of a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle? I want the holes to
be in the exact center so I can use them as rollers.
I am new to woodworking and I'm sure there must be a trick to this.

1. Secure a piece of wood to the DP table

2. Drill a 3/4 hole in it

3. Replace the 3/4 bit with the 1/4 or 1/2

4. Put your mop handle section in the 3/4 hole

5. Drill

IMO, you would do better with rollers greater in diameter...1 1/2 PVC pipe
works well, just cut a plywood plug to fit each end. The holes in the
plywood ends can be bushed with pieces of copper pipe but it isn't
necessary.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Arthur

Make a drill jig:
A variation on "dadiOH"'s really good idea is to fasten a thick piece of
hardwood onto the drill press table. Then drill a 3/4" diameter hole about
half way into the thickness of the hardwood. Without moving the table
position, replace with 1/4" or 1/2" hole and drill thru.
Now unfasten the hardwood piece and place it on the 3/4" dowel to use as a
drill jig. Use the smaller diameter hole as a guide to drill the smaller
hole into the drill jig.

"Gizmofiddler" wrote in message
What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in the end
of
a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle? I want the

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

In article ,
"Frank Arthur" wrote:

Make a drill jig:
A variation on "dadiOH"'s really good idea is to fasten a thick piece of
hardwood onto the drill press table. Then drill a 3/4" diameter hole about
half way into the thickness of the hardwood. Without moving the table
position, replace with 1/4" or 1/2" hole and drill thru.
Now unfasten the hardwood piece and place it on the 3/4" dowel to use as a
drill jig. Use the smaller diameter hole as a guide to drill the smaller
hole into the drill jig.

That's for a couple of holes. If you're making a whole bunch of copies,
get a guide bushing. Lee Valley sells them. The guide bushing goes where
the narrow hole is drilled in Mr Arthur's description. The metal bushing
keeps the drill centered. Without the bushing, your wooden guide hole
will get chewed up gradually.

--
"Keep your ass behind you."
Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message

That's for a couple of holes. If you're making a whole bunch of copies,
get a guide bushing. Lee Valley sells them. The guide bushing goes where
the narrow hole is drilled in Mr Arthur's description. The metal bushing
keeps the drill centered. Without the bushing, your wooden guide hole
will get chewed up gradually.

I bought some and they work quite well.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...311,42321&ap=1

Dowel Basics Relz Woodworking 1 March 10th 06 06:09 PM
finishing ends on a lead screw [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 8th 05 05:02 PM
Cypress dowel source? (or alternative) gregg Woodworking 11 July 22nd 05 08:18 PM
SDS drilling, tips on how to use. Slugsie UK diy 8 October 9th 03 09:54 PM
When Is A Half Inch Dowel Not A Half Inch Dowel? Kevin Preston Woodworking 0 July 20th 03 02:42 PM