Posted to rec.woodworking
ignatious

Default Duplicate an antique finish

I have a vintage work table/desk I bought from a local school auction.
the piece is not an antique but is probably 50 or so years old, to give
you an idea of the materials they used. I am having to replace a 1x1
piece on the front that helps support the drawers, so it is exposed on
the front of the desk.

The original finish looks like shellac - it is a dark honey colored
finish. I reazlie getting an exact match is not likely, I just want
something that will be close in shade and sheen.

Any suggestions how to try to match the original honey finish for my
new piece of oak? Is shellac what they were using in 1950?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Visit www.homesteadfinishing.com or www.refinishwizard.com with your
question as both have forums that are a good resource for this type of
stuff,

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
antique wood finish HELP needed Rob Woodworking 1 January 6th 05 01:25 AM
Advice on wood finish please... Mike Deblis Woodturning 2 June 16th 04 02:19 PM
Finish for Antique Furniture Campbell Freeman Woodworking 8 March 19th 04 04:01 PM
fixeda Antique mantle clock jim Metalworking 3 January 31st 04 02:01 AM