Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CXX

This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

#697: I really do NOT know what it is, but i guess:
It is a casting form for blumb work or ...?

#699: For stamping numbers into wood.
Like numbering windows and their frames they belong in.
Cabinet maker use.

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

?????????? for the rest, but;

701 Hay fork trolley. Unloading loose hay from a wagon, the upper wheels
ride on angle iron rails in the roof peak, while heavy rope(1 to 1 1/4") is
tied off on one side of lower pulleys, down through the center, through a
pulley on the "fork" then back up to the center and out the other end to a
pulley at one end of the roof peak. From here it goes across, down & out by
various pulleys to be hooked to an evener pulled by horses. The upper part
also latches to a "frog" in the rail to keep it in place. Once the fork or
grapple is set in the hay, the horses start pulling, lifting the hay up
toward the trolley. When the fork reaches the trolley, it locks into the
bottom, while tripping the trolley loose from the frog. The trolley now
rides over the hay mow, then the head operator pulls the trip rope, dropping
the load into the mow. Once the tension on the main rope is released(or
recoiled by hand, by the teamster), he then pulls the whole thing back along
the rail using the trip rope. This is done rather vigorously so the trolley
will come back onto the frog with a fair amount of force, latching onto the
frog and tripping the fork loose to be pulled back down to the wagon, where
we start all over.

When young, I drove the horses . . out toward the road until the tension on
the rope slacked, turn 'em around & come back, then pull the rope back &
coil it so Uncle could retrieve the fork & trolley. When I thought I was man
enough, tried doing the wagon job(always looked like the easy part to me).
Right! But that's a story for another time.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

#697: I really do NOT know what it is, but i guess:
It is a casting form for blumb work or ...?

#699: For stamping numbers into wood.
Like numbering windows and their frames they belong in.
Cabinet maker use.

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
http://www.yadro.de
..|....|....|....|....|....|....|..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Howard R Garner

R.H. wrote:
This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Only two this week

700 For cutting the grove on the inside of a barrel so the heading will
fit properly. A type of wood plane

701 A traveler from a hay hoist. Had these in the barn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:15:15 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

698 is 63.6

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Voltes34

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news | On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:15:15 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

| This week's set of photos has just been posted:
|
| http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
|

| Rob
|

| 698 is 63.6

It's more like 63.5 !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Voltes34 wrote:
"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news | On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:15:15 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

| This week's set of photos has just been posted:
|
| http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
|

| Rob
|

| 698 is 63.6

It's more like 63.5 !

I was resisting the urge to post "looks like 63.55 to me".

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

"Voltes34" wrote: It's more like 63.5 !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Brian's screen may have a little parallax.

So, my guess is it's an up-side-down barometer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Carl G.

"Howard R Garner" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Only two this week

700 For cutting the grove on the inside of a barrel so the heading will
fit properly. A type of wood plane

701 A traveler from a hay hoist. Had these in the barn.

696. Glazer's tool ?
697. Mold for signet rings.
698. Vernier gauge. Perhaps on a surveying device or height gauge.
699. Numeral stamping device.

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual:

696) Hmm ... first off, I would suggest that the screwdriver like
part is intended to actually serve as a screwdriver.

Beyond that, I think that this is a wrench for unscrewing
something like the caps which I have seen on some drums which
had a pair of flat ears bent to stick up to grip for unscrewing
the cap. This will give a better and more comfortable grip.

697) To me -- this looks like a mould for casting a finger ring. I
think that it is missing the part which takes the place of the
finger itself.

The metal flows in through the long single arm which is opposite
the three arms. And -- it probably is supposed to be held
together with wire until the ring cools enough to allow opening
and removing it.

The part which takes the place of the finger may be a sand core
which will be broken up for ease of removal.

698) O.K. This must be from another "Don", since I did not submit it.

It is a vernier for reading a manometer to hundredths of
whatever unit is in use. It looks as though the primary unit is
the mm.

Hmm ... the scale is upside down for a manometer, so let's look
for another function. It looks as though there is an RF
connector on the back, so perhaps it is a tap on a slotted
waveguide for measuring microwave frequency (wavelength)?

Normally, I would expect engraved metal for this, not a painted
surface, but that is still what it looks like.

699) It looks like a specialized hammer for striking digits into
metal -- with no great attention paid to precisely where the
digit goes, so probably not for striking serial numbers into
something.

I'll guess that the numbers are also labeled on the handle side
for ease of use, as the numbers appear to be oriented to have
the base towards the handle.

If it were marked only on the side shown, and the digits were
oriented to have the base towards that side, I would expect it
to be positioned over the workpiece by one operator, and struck
with a hammer by the other -- except that would damage the
number which was facing up.

Or -- if the wheel were not mounted on a handle, I would expect
it to be on a shaft which was moved down and up by a motor
driven cam.

700) Hmm ... three blades, which can individually be adjusted in or
out.

All three are oriented to cut from the bottom surface, though
the hook could also cut a groove.

At a guess, it is for cutting and/or leveling the mounting for
an oval or round mirror or window in a frame. It certainly
could not cut to a sharp corner.

701) The upper part of this appears to be a trolley to ride on the
flanges of an I-beam.

The lower part can be rotated to any angle to the upper part.

The wheels on the lower part might serve to guide a rope or
cable used for lifting loads. The wheels have a negative crown,
so they would not work well with flat belts.

I wonder at that flap on the side between the two wheels. It
suggests that there *might* be some form of mechanism in there.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Andy

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:15:15 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I believe CXX is a grade of plywood.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Matthew Russotto

696: A weapon, intended not to look like one.

697: A model of the human heart held together with baling wire and string.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Matthew Russotto

In article ,

#699: For stamping numbers into wood.
Like numbering windows and their frames they belong in.
Cabinet maker use.

If it were a stamp, wouldn't the numbers be backwards?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Matthew Russotto wrote:

If it were a stamp, wouldn't the numbers be backwards?

That's what they are.

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dale Scroggins

R.H. wrote:
This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

696. Often called a preflight tool; pilots often carried them in
their flight bags. Used for opening inspection doors, panels, and
balky fuel caps. Dzus fasteners now being out of favor, and fuel caps
mostly flush nowadays, you won't see this tool much. Leatherman-type
tools have replaced them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:26:18 GMT, "Voltes34"
wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news | On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:15:15 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

| This week's set of photos has just been posted:
|
| http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
|

| Rob
|

| 698 is 63.6

It's more like 63.5 !

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey Voltes,

That's just the parallax error caused by our different viewpoints. You
were looking over my shoulder I think, and therefore didn't have the
"straight-on" view I did. VBG

Only thing I could think it might be a part of is some kind of
tank-level indicator, but I don't know why.

Take care.

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Paul K. Dickman

It's the vernier on an analytical balance.
The gold chain hanging off the edge is a dead give-away.
Paul K. Dickman

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Voltes34" wrote: It's more like 63.5 !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Brian's screen may have a little parallax.

So, my guess is it's an up-side-down barometer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
woodworker88

697. A pattern for a manifold of some type??

698. Some sort of vernier scale on a measuring tool or machinery.
Appears to be some sort of force gauge, possibly a newton meter.

701. A beam trolley of some sort--for structural I-beams.
Like
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...73439?n=228013

ww88

R.H. wrote:
This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jon Danniken

"R.H." wrote:
This week's set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

698 is the vernier scale for a barometer.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Matthew Russotto :

#699: For stamping numbers into wood.
Like numbering windows and their frames they belong in.
Cabinet maker use.

If it were a stamp, wouldn't the numbers be backwards?

They *are*. The stamps are on the ends of the arms. What is
cast into the hub's front (and probably the back as well) is a *label*
to tell you which arm to use. I do find it unusual that the labels are
oriented so the active arm will be pointing *up*, suggesting either that
the device is intended for stamping numbers in the underside of
something, or that the (supposed) labels on the handle side of the hub
may be more usefully oriented.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Looks like they've all been answered correctly this week:

696. Flight wrench

697. Ring mold

698. Vernier gauge on an analytical balance

699. Shoe sole marker, no one got this exactly but a few had the right idea

700. Croze plane, used on barrels

701. Hay fork trolley

Several links and some new photos have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotoans122.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info, I knew the general use of it but not the details.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

696. Often called a preflight tool; pilots often carried them in
their flight bags. Used for opening inspection doors, panels, and
balky fuel caps. Dzus fasteners now being out of favor, and fuel caps
mostly flush nowadays, you won't see this tool much. Leatherman-type
tools have replaced them.

What about the slots on the back end, I was hoping someone would know what
they are for. A friend of mine suggested that they could be used to
straighten fins on old radiators.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
696. Often called a preflight tool; pilots often carried them in
their flight bags. Used for opening inspection doors, panels, and
balky fuel caps. Dzus fasteners now being out of favor, and fuel caps
mostly flush nowadays, you won't see this tool much. Leatherman-type
tools have replaced them.

What about the slots on the back end, I was hoping someone would know what
they are for. A friend of mine suggested that they could be used to
straighten fins on old radiators.

Rob

I think the fuel-caps he has in mind have 1 large (or 2 smaller) tabs
sticking up that would go into the slots.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
696. Often called a preflight tool; pilots often carried them in
their flight bags. Used for opening inspection doors, panels, and
balky fuel caps. Dzus fasteners now being out of favor, and fuel caps
mostly flush nowadays, you won't see this tool much. Leatherman-type
tools have replaced them.

What about the slots on the back end, I was hoping someone would know what
they are for. A friend of mine suggested that they could be used to
straighten fins on old radiators.

As I suggested earlier -- fuel caps with a bent up rib intended
to be gripped by the hand, but sometimes requiring more torque than is
comfortable without a handle like #696.

I seem to even remember seeing radiator caps with a similar rib
as a handle.

The screwdriver end would handle one style of Dzus fasteners,
and the semi-circular projection when the screwdriver blade is folded
would handle the other common style.

So I think that the identification as "preflight tool" is
probably right. It accounts for all of the features that I noticed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You're welcome.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dale Scroggins

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to R.H. :

[...]

As you say, many older aircraft had simple caps like radiator caps,
with metal angles welded to the top. One leg of the angle provided a
grip for opening the cap, and also gave visual indication that the cap
was fully locked closed. If the cap was streamlined, it was closed. If
not, it wasn't.
The tool is a bit oversize for the small caps, but works well on them.
Some aircraft had much larger caps, 4"-5" across, with a hinged tab on
top. They were generally covered by an access door. They were harder
to open and close, so the tool really helped.
Dzus fasteners came in several head styles; common slotted, coin
slotted (two different sizes here, thus the two rounded bits on the
tool) and wings, like a wing nut. The slots on the back were useful for
opening the wing-type fasteners if they were balky. Dzus fasteners were
often balky.
Many small aircraft, older ones especially, have small trim tabs
riveted to the trailing edges of various control surfaces. If bent
correctly, these tabs will allow for straight and level flight
hands-off. The slot in the back is also handy for tweaking those tabs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Dale Scroggins" wrote in message
y.com...
DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to R.H. :

[...]

That makes sense, thanks to all who replied to my question.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

942 is an old portable steelyard, for weighing things like sacks.

Dave bt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

934 is a miniature microtome, for taking thin slices from biological
specimens embedded in a wax block, for viewing in a microscope.

Dave bt