Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Ripping narrow pieces from wide stock

I'll give that a qualified endorsement- you're only likely to get into
trouble with sheet goods if they're way too big for you to handle (in
that cased, get a helper)

Am I the only one who doesn't like having a helper?

IME, well meaning , and even well-coached helper on the outfeed side of the
saw have the bad habbit of pulling the board through at the end of the cut
and almost invariably tugging at least slightly to the side.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

No, you're not the only one. Even i they don't try to pull it through, they
often waver enough to mess up the cut. A human being is just not as
stationary or ridgid as an outfeed table, no matter how much they want to
be.

"Stephen M" wrote in message

Am I the only one who doesn't like having a helper?

IME, well meaning , and even well-coached helper on the outfeed side of

the
saw have the bad habbit of pulling the board through at the end of the cut
and almost invariably tugging at least slightly to the side.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Stephen M" wrote in message

Am I the only one who doesn't like having a helper?

Only it he/she is an experienced woodworker ... particularly one who has the
experience, and intelligence, to always be thinking ahead.

I had the pleasure of working with Leon for almost a month a few months ago
and, besides great minds thinking alike, it was like having two more of
my own hands.

That is indeed, a great pleasure that every serious woodworker needs to
experience.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

I'll give that a qualified endorsement- you're only likely to get into
trouble with sheet goods if they're way too big for you to handle (in
that cased, get a helper)

Am I the only one who doesn't like having a helper?

IME, well meaning , and even well-coached helper on the outfeed side of
the
saw have the bad habbit of pulling the board through at the end of the cut
and almost invariably tugging at least slightly to the side.

That's my experience, too. So when I designed my router table (it's on
retractable wheels), I made sure it's height was good enough to act as an
outfeed table for the table saw the odd time I need one.

What a joy it was, after all the time I took to build the router table, to
use it as an outfeed table and have it do the job exactly as it was designed
to do!

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:32:54 -0400, "Stephen M"
wrote:

I'll give that a qualified endorsement- you're only likely to get into
trouble with sheet goods if they're way too big for you to handle (in
that cased, get a helper)

Am I the only one who doesn't like having a helper?

IME, well meaning , and even well-coached helper on the outfeed side of the
saw have the bad habbit of pulling the board through at the end of the cut
and almost invariably tugging at least slightly to the side.

Nope- I don't like having one either, but it's better in some cases.