Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Suggestions on new compressor?

I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before we move
at the end of the year..

It's their 2 hp, 5 gallon, 110v model... works ok, but it's loud and cheaply
built..

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible, which
I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Any suggestions/recommendatons appreciated..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before
we move
at the end of the year..

It's their 2 hp, 5 gallon, 110v model... works ok, but it's loud and
cheaply
built..

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible,
which
I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

Small compressores are inherently louder than the larger all cast iron oil
lubed versions. Until you get into belt driven vs the direct drive models
you are going to have to deal with loud. That said many newer small
compressors are better than others but still are pretty loud by comparison
to the type mentioned above.
Have the store demo the compressor to you so that you can hear it before
buying. Also have them compare the small ones to a larger belt driven one
for a comparison. IMHO a lot of the noise is due to the fact that the
smaller direct drive units run at a much higher speed.

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad
drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Basically you have listed uses that go from one extreme to the other.
Blowing air for short periods and running nail guns up to framing nailers do
not require a high volume compressor. Drills and sanders on the other hand
are pretty high volume users and would be better matched with a bare minimum
20 gal style compressor IMHO.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

mac davis wrote:
I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before we move
at the end of the year..

It's their 2 hp, 5 gallon, 110v model... works ok, but it's loud and cheaply
built..

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible, which
I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Any suggestions/recommendatons appreciated..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

My take on compressors and air driven sanders is that you basically need
a compressor that runs on 220v if you are to have sufficient horsepower
to meet the high CFM requirements of sanders. So if you think you might
ever go air-driven sanders, you might consider their requirements now as
you decide what compressor you are going to with.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

mac davis wrote:

I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor

before we move
at the end of the year..

snip

I'll stay out of the air compressor selection, but offer a suggestion
about the distribution.

Hang a 20 ft length of 2" pipe with a 1/4" per ft slope that has 3/4"
side taps pointing UP every 4-5 ft and a drain at the low point.

Plug the unused ones.

Use two (2), 3/4" street ells as a take off which will now have the
opening pointing down.

Connect hose to the down pointing connection.

Why do all the above?

"Better air" is the answer.

1) You increase the storage capacity.
2) The air will be cooler, thus hold less water.
3) The street ells force the air to change direction which allows more
water to drop out.

It is a low cost way of improving the performance of what ever
compressor you select.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"mac davis"
I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before
we move
at the end of the year... but it's loud and cheaply built.

Who would'nt!

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible,
which
I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad
drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Like Leon said, brad nailers are no problem, however air drills and sanders
require a high CFM.
Look into a compressor that has a oiled cast iron pump. You're going to
spend $700+ for a quality unit.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:34:28 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before we move
at the end of the year..

It's their 2 hp, 5 gallon, 110v model... works ok, but it's loud and cheaply
built..

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible, which
I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

I have a DeWalt 55155. Oil-lubed iron compressor, induction motor,
direct drive. Not exactly quiet, but at least tolerable indoors.
4-gallon tank is fine for running a couple of finish nailers. Drills
and sanders, however, are another story. They require vastly more air
than nailers; you'll need something much more than a "bit" larger for
those. More like a 20-30 gallon tank. Check the cubic foot per
minute requirement of the tools you want to use, and make sure the
compressor can supply that much continuous air.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before

we move
at the end of the year..

It's their 2 hp, 5 gallon, 110v model... works ok, but it's loud and

cheaply
built..

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible,

which
I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad

drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Besides a recently blown Porter Cable pancake, I have a stop gap Craftsman 1
HP, vertical 12 gal oiler that is relatively quiet, but it would not be good
for AD and sander. (My needs are portability and small footprint over scfm).

Don't discount a Craftsman if you're wanting to go inexpensive ... I gave a
lot of thought to their Model 19541, which is, IIRC, a pretty good buy if
you have the space for a horizontal tank. After looking closely, the
Craftsman still appear to be better built than the cheaper Kobalt/Coleman,
Porter Cable/Devilbliss and Husky/Campbell Hausfeld offerings, although the
quietest I heard in the midsize units was the Husky/Campbell Hausfeld
VT6315.

If I ever find the time to build that new shop, I am going to look at
Grainger's for a big SpeedAire, or something similar. My dad has had one for
30 years that is so quiet you can hardly hear it run 10 feet away.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

SNIP

(My needs are portability and small footprint over scfm).

SNIP

Don't discount a Craftsman if you're wanting to go inexpensive ...

Me too. That is why I have a little Craftsman 1hp with a 3 gallon tank
to go install
doors, etc. with. Nice little oil splasher, and it is on sale
frequently for $100.

If I ever find the time to build that new shop, I am going to look at
Grainger's for a big SpeedAire, or something similar. My dad has had one for
30 years that is so quiet you can hardly hear it run 10 feet away.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Ditto. In a misspent youth as a house framer, we had a big Speedaire
that used to run 4 framing/decking/cornice guns at once. Best
compressor I ever owned, and in about 2 years of banging around in the
back of truck and lots of hard work under all conditions it never even
hiccupped.

I don't know if you have seen the prices, but I am hoping at the rate I
am steaming towards a new shop (putt, putt, putt) I don't know if I
will be able to afford one.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

SNIP

(My needs are portability and small footprint over scfm).

SNIP

Don't discount a Craftsman if you're wanting to go inexpensive ...

Me too. That is why I have a little Craftsman 1hp with a 3 gallon tank
to go install
doors, etc. with. Nice little oil splasher, and it is on sale
frequently for $100.

I've seen one in action. Cool little tool ... more portable than many tool
boxes.

If I ever find the time to build that new shop, I am going to look at
Grainger's for a big SpeedAire, or something similar. My dad has had one

for
30 years that is so quiet you can hardly hear it run 10 feet away.

I don't know if you have seen the prices, but I am hoping at the rate I
am steaming towards a new shop (putt, putt, putt) I don't know if I
will be able to afford one.

Just about choked on 'em last time I looked. They've doubled since it seems
like just a year or so ago.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:00:10 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

Small compressores are inherently louder than the larger all cast iron oil
lubed versions. Until you get into belt driven vs the direct drive models
you are going to have to deal with loud. That said many newer small
compressors are better than others but still are pretty loud by comparison
to the type mentioned above.
Have the store demo the compressor to you so that you can hear it before
buying. Also have them compare the small ones to a larger belt driven one
for a comparison. IMHO a lot of the noise is due to the fact that the
smaller direct drive units run at a much higher speed.

good points.. the HF is oil lubed but not belt driven... I've even seen
recommendations in this group to separate the motor from the pump, which is hard
to do if it isn't belt driven.. *g*

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad
drivers
and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Basically you have listed uses that go from one extreme to the other.
Blowing air for short periods and running nail guns up to framing nailers do
not require a high volume compressor. Drills and sanders on the other hand
are pretty high volume users and would be better matched with a bare minimum
20 gal style compressor IMHO.

yeah.. the drill and sanders would be if the compressor supported them, not
really tools that I need... (not that need ever determines tool purchases in my
house)

I was going to buy a nice Craftsman 220v compressor that Bill Noble had
rebuilt... 220v, 2 hp, 29 gal... but the cost of picking it up raised the price
to almost new... still looking..

thanks, Leon
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:25:09 GMT, "John L. Poole" wrote:

My take on compressors and air driven sanders is that you basically need
a compressor that runs on 220v if you are to have sufficient horsepower
to meet the high CFM requirements of sanders. So if you think you might
ever go air-driven sanders, you might consider their requirements now as
you decide what compressor you are going to with.

Thanks, John.. my thoughts, sort-of-exactly.. lol

The new shop will have 22v, a luxury that I've never had before, so I'm leaning
toward 220 or dual voltage machines..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:26:03 GMT, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I printed this one out, Lew... too early in the morning to understand it.. maybe
after more caffeine.. *lol*

I do plan to put the DC and compressor out in the carport, so I'll be looking
seriously at your suggestion..

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:25:13 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks... lots of model numbers to research!

I'm still thinking of looking at that used 2 hp/220v craftsman that bill noble
has... just that the thought of a 500 mile round trip to go get it and the gas
being over 3 bucks a gallon is sort of intimidating...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

mac davis wrote:

I printed this one out, Lew... too early in the morning to

understand it.. maybe
after more caffeine.. *lol*

You get a plumbing distributor to cut and thread a 20 ft length of 2"
pipe into 4 ft lengths.

After that, "It's time for some assembly", as Norm would say using
2"x2"x3/4" reducing tees.

BTW, if you can swing it, a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal
vertical tank is very tough to beat.

You will be able to operate some serious air tools.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. net...

BTW, if you can swing it, a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal
vertical tank is very tough to beat.

You will be able to operate some serious air tools.

Now there's a man to listen to!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:58:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.net...

BTW, if you can swing it, a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal
vertical tank is very tough to beat.

You will be able to operate some serious air tools.

Now there's a man to listen to!

For sure... I could nail some really big stuff until the glue dries... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:09:49 GMT, Lew Hodgett wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I printed this one out, Lew... too early in the morning to

understand it.. maybe
after more caffeine.. *lol*

You get a plumbing distributor to cut and thread a 20 ft length of 2"
pipe into 4 ft lengths.

After that, "It's time for some assembly", as Norm would say using
2"x2"x3/4" reducing tees.

BTW, if you can swing it, a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal
vertical tank is very tough to beat.

You will be able to operate some serious air tools.

Lew

Sounds very expensive, Lew.. what's a 2 stage compressor??
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

mac davis wrote:

Sounds very expensive, Lew..

My guess is about $800-$900.

Have had one about 10 years.

They are sweet.

what's a 2 stage compressor??

2 cylinder, primary and secondary with an intercooler in between stages.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Brophy

wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
k.net...

BTW, if you can swing it, a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal
vertical tank is very tough to beat.

You will be able to operate some serious air tools.

Now there's a man to listen to!

For sure... I could nail some really big stuff until the glue dries... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Compressors, pressure washers and a few other things in life
in my experience are alike in that it is EASY to get one
that is 'just a little bit smaller that I would have liked',
but almost impossible to buy one that results in the owner's
commenting 'Gosh, this is just too big, I wish I would have
gotten one a little smaller....'

I have a 11 hp pressure washer and a 7hp air compressor. I
have asked myself ' I wonder what a little more HP would be
like...' although I am very happy with the performance of
both units. In both cases I bought the biggest one I could
afford at the time and have never regretted it a bit.
regards, Joe.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. net...
mac davis wrote:

Sounds very expensive, Lew..

My guess is about $800-$900.

That would be for a small one. A decent 5HP 60 or 80 gal unit is going to
run $1200 and up.

Have had one about 10 years.

They are sweet.

what's a 2 stage compressor??

2 cylinder, primary and secondary with an intercooler in between stages.

When I had to replace my compressor I went on the hunt for a two stage.
Long story short, I ended up with a commercial duty single stage, but it has
two of the biggest pistons I've ever seen. You might say it has a nice pair
of jugs. I was a bit nervous at first, but I've long since gotten over
that. This thing just flat out puts out air. MSRP on these is around
$1500-$1600.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Mike Marlow wrote:

That would be for a small one. A decent 5HP 60 or 80 gal unit is

going to
run $1200 and up.

Usually, HD has or had a pretty decent price.

Haven't looked lately.

$1200 sounds a bit much.

Lew