Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

Default Lynx Handmade Saws

Anyone have any experience with these saws as sold by Woodcraft? I've got my
eye on a 26" 4.5 TPI rip saw and a 22" 12 TPI crosscut saw at steeply
discounted prices... store failure and liquidation. I'd been waiting for L-N
to get his saws to market but based on my last conversation with Tom L-N
that isn't going to happen soon due to production startup issues--handles
that meet his high standards. If the Lynx saws aren't superior tools I'd
just as soon wait for Tom L-N to get his saws to market... Any feedback is
appreciated.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

I DO NOT have experience with the Lynx saws.

I do have experience with the L-N tenon saws and several L-N planes.
EXCELLENT tools, every one. I'll continue to bur L-N tools.

BUT, I also have expereince with a framesaw, e.g.:

http://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.htm

The E.C.E. framesaw with the Japanese style blades is awsome. I defer
to The Master (Tage Fride), and understand why he recomends fram saws
for msot work.

Usual disclaimers apply.

Zzzzzz-Zzzzzzz

-Zz

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:13:38 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these saws as sold by Woodcraft? I've got my
eye on a 26" 4.5 TPI rip saw and a 22" 12 TPI crosscut saw at steeply
discounted prices... store failure and liquidation. I'd been waiting for L-N
to get his saws to market but based on my last conversation with Tom L-N
that isn't going to happen soon due to production startup issues--handles
that meet his high standards. If the Lynx saws aren't superior tools I'd
just as soon wait for Tom L-N to get his saws to market... Any feedback is
appreciated.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I DO NOT have experience with the Lynx saws.

I do have experience with the L-N tenon saws and several L-N planes.
EXCELLENT tools, every one. I'll continue to bur L-N tools.

I've got a couple L-N back saws, and a couple planes, and couple spoke
shaves... great tools. Issue is waiting for Tom L-N to get the panel saws to
market or snap up the Lynx saws now at a steep discount (two for far less
than the price of one L-N saw at the anticipated pricing).

BUT, I also have expereince with a framesaw, e.g.:

http://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.htm

I've considered them and will likely end up with one or more somewhere along
the line. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these saws as sold by Woodcraft? I've got
my
eye on a 26" 4.5 TPI rip saw and a 22" 12 TPI crosscut saw at steeply
discounted prices... store failure and liquidation. I'd been waiting for
L-N
to get his saws to market but based on my last conversation with Tom L-N
that isn't going to happen soon due to production startup issues--handles
that meet his high standards. If the Lynx saws aren't superior tools I'd
just as soon wait for Tom L-N to get his saws to market... Any feedback is
appreciated.

I ended up picking up the two saws... the price was too good to pass up on
hand made saws. They feel good and cut good. The only weak thing is that
they don't have those nice curly maple handles like the L-N saws... I still
need a nice 26" crosscut saw of about 6-8 TPI so one of those curly maple
beauties will find it's way into my shop yet. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 02:44:12 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

I ended up picking up the two saws... the price was too good to pass up on
hand made saws. They feel good and cut good. The only weak thing is that
they don't have those nice curly maple handles like the L-N saws... I still
need a nice 26" crosscut saw of about 6-8 TPI so one of those curly maple
beauties will find it's way into my shop yet. ;~)

John:

If you ever get a chance, get hold of a Disston from the beginnings of
the previous century. They are out there and they are better than any
of the current crop.

The steel is immaculate and the workmanship is without compare.

You can often pick these up for pennies in the roadside venues.

I own two of the Lynx brand and half a dozen of the old Disstons.

I'd happily sell the Lynx's for a few more Disstons.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Yeah, I've got a apple handled D-23 of 9tpi and tapered blade that cuts
sooooooo sweetly, these were last made in '17 I believe.
AAvK
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Tom Watson wrote:

John:

If you ever get a chance, get hold of a Disston from the beginnings of
the previous century.**They*are*out*there*and*they*are*better*t han*any
of the current crop.

The steel is immaculate and the workmanship is without compare.

Oh, I don't know. An old Atkins "silver steel" saw compares pretty good :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:

John:

If you ever get a chance, get hold of a Disston from the beginnings of
the previous century. They are out there and they are better than any
of the current crop.

The steel is immaculate and the workmanship is without compare.

Oh, I don't know. An old Atkins "silver steel" saw compares pretty good
:-).

I'd love to have some nice old saws... but don't have the time, or interest
in making the time, to go find them. I've got so many other things to focus
on!

Pretty much all the nice old tools I've got (e.g., Stanley 45 plane,
Sergeant rabbet plane, socket chisels, etc.) were found in dead relative's
basements or in the basement of a house I bought. Due to attrition I'm
running out of free "good old tool" sources. I'll be tapping into the mass
market Crapsman and other low end powertools with the next round of
passings. I suppose I might find some of the current generation of good
tools (e.g., L-N) if I get friendly with the spouses of some of the older
members of my club... but that would be blatantly opportunistic... and I
don't know if I could live with myself. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'd love to have some nice old saws... but don't have the time, or interest
in making the time, to go find them. I've got so many other things to focus
on!

No need for that, although the "hunt" can be fun. Look on Ebay under
collectibles. Last time I looked there were lots of Disstons and a
sprinkling of other brands.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeW

John Grossbohlinwrote:
Anyone have any experience with these saws as sold by Woodcraft? I've
got my
eye on a 26" 4.5 TPI rip saw and a 22" 12 TPI crosscut saw

at steeply
discounted prices... store failure and liquidation. I'd been waiting

for L-N
to get his saws to market but based on my last conversation with Tom

L-N
that isn't going to happen soon due to production startup

issues--handles
that meet his high standards. If the Lynx saws aren't superior tools

I'd
just as soon wait for Tom L-N to get his saws to market... Any

feedback is
appreciated.

John

Hopefully no one thinks I am being too predatory...

The Lynx are OK saws. Decent steel, not so great of handles. Certainly
cheaper than if Tom gets his panel saw to market even without the deal
you can get. I've handled his panel saw--it is nice.

As a consideration:

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/pe/pe_0006a.jpg

Take care, Mike