Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CXIX

The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

695 Part of a harmonic drive speed reduction mechanism.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

695: I know that as hypozykloidal pump. But it seems to be a bit long.

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
tom

691: Pilot's IFR training blinder. 695: Pump of sorts. Tom
R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich

R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

691 - Foggles (Used to simulate Instrument Flying Conditions for
training purposes)

692 - Top down view of a Fire Extinguisher (Soda Acid type)

Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

690-

691- pilots instrument-flight-only training glasses

692-

693- bunghole reamer

694-

695- oil pump rotors

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

691. Pilot training glasses for instrument training.
694. Outside Caliper
695. Oil Pump. Too big but looks exactly like the one in an A6 Axial GM AC
compressor. The old one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
don holly

690- tool for removing hands from a watch or dial indicator

R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

"Leon" wrote: 694. Outside Caliper
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Leon, it has the overall shape of a caliper, but due to the fact that it was
hanging on an overhead nail when photographed, some of the details are hard
to distinguish. It looks to me like the place where the caliper opening
would be is actually a closed loop. Then, at the other end, where the
handle is, is a crank turning a threaded spindle, which could push things
toward the loop. But the spindle is too short to close down all the way to
the loop.

So, this is my guess--it is slipped over a round thing of some sort, and the
crank is used to press in something like a dowel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz

693 - hemorrhoid remover

B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

690) *This* one, I know for sure, because I have one and
use it from time to time.

It is a hand puller for watches, and can also be used on dial
indicators.

You place the end of the rod on the center of the hand while the
hooks are retracted by pulling up on the main handle. Then you
allow the main handle to go down, moving the hooks under the
sides of the hand, and finally press down on the handle, at
which point the hooks push up on the underside of the hand hub,
while they rock on the outer curves to provide leverage.

Mine had curves on the outside, while this one has flats and
sharp angles instead.

I have another hand puller of a very different design as well,
which presses on the pin on which the hand mounts, instead of on
the dial face behind the hand.

691) My guess for these is that they are intended to be worn by a
student pilot during instrument flight training, and perhaps
also during testing.

692) Aha! I finally looked at this the right way. It is the top of
an old soda-acid fire extinguisher. It is inverted to start it
functioning, and is stood on the blue "handle", which unscrews
for re-loading the extinguisher. To the right is the fitting to
which the hose is attached. And just barely visible behind the
top of the "handle" is the bracket by which it is hung from the
wall until it is needed.

693) This looks like a wrench which is designed to fit into a square
hole and perhaps unlatch some kind of plate. And with the
springiness of the side curve, it should grip that something if
it is not too heavy and lift it.

694) If the center end of the crank is a socket for some of those
wood augers shown on the wall behind it, I would think that it
is for some purpose such as drilling a hole through a piling, or
perhaps a telephone pole. By slipping the loop over the pole,
it would start the hole straight through the diameter of the
pole, and if there are threads where the crank shaft passes
through the bearing, it would even help to feed the auger.

695) This one, however, is clearly the "gear" of a gear type pump.
It needs proper lapping of the ends, however, to make a good
seal inside the cavity in which it operates.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

snip

695) This one, however, is clearly the "gear" of a gear type pump.
It needs proper lapping of the ends, however, to make a good
seal inside the cavity in which it operates.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Not a clue this week except 695. We all agree it's some type of oil pump,
just can't seem to get a handle on exactly where it would be used. I'm
saying automotive.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark and Kim Smith

Norman D. Crow wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

According to R.H. :

The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

snip

695) This one, however, is clearly the "gear" of a gear type pump.
It needs proper lapping of the ends, however, to make a good
seal inside the cavity in which it operates.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Not a clue this week except 695. We all agree it's some type of oil pump,
just can't seem to get a handle on exactly where it would be used. I'm
saying automotive.

Hydraulic pump. Better known as a Gerotor pump.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Perfection In Wood

On 15 Jun 2006 03:48:36 -0700, "tom" wrote:

691: Pilot's IFR training blinder.

I never would have guessed. When I did my IFR training we had to wear
a big hood that looked something like a welders hood. You could see
the instruments but nothing else.

695: Pump of sorts. Tom
R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
John Martin

R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

693. Handle for a two-man crosscut saw. Blade goes through, wedge in
bulge.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Perfection In Wood wrote:
On 15 Jun 2006 03:48:36 -0700, "tom" wrote:

691: Pilot's IFR training blinder.

I never would have guessed. When I did my IFR training we had to wear
a big hood that looked something like a welders hood. You could see
the instruments but nothing else.

That's what some of them look like now. Others have a
flip-up arrangement so you don't have to rip them off on short final.
Those things cost about $20 in the pilot supply shops. I've
bought $2 safety glasses, put a little masking tape on those lower
inside corners of the lenses, and bead-blasted them. Same thing.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon

"Perfection In Wood @hotmail.com" perfectioninwoodnospam wrote in
message

691: Pilot's IFR training blinder.

I never would have guessed. When I did my IFR training we had to wear
a big hood that looked something like a welders hood. You could see
the instruments but nothing else.

Never would have guessed???? I have never had training or seen the glasses
but have heard of them and recognized them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...
I never would have guessed. When I did my IFR training we had to wear
a big hood that looked something like a welders hood. You could see
the instruments but nothing else.

Never would have guessed???? I have never had training or seen the
glasses but have heard of them and recognized them.

Hey! There's a _reason_ they call it "hood time" vs. "'actual' time".

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Four of the six have been answered correctly, I don't know what the other
two a

690. Watchmaker's hand puller

691. Foggles, used for instrument flight training

692. Soda acid fire extinguisher

693. Haven't been able to verify what this is.

694. Same as 693.

695. Gerotor pump, maybe Leo can tell us a little more about it.

A couple new photos and a few links can be found on the answer page

http://pzphotosans121-k.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Four of the six have been answered correctly, I don't know what the other
two a

[ ... ]

693. Haven't been able to verify what this is.

694. Same as 693.

[ ... ]

A couple new photos and a few links can be found on the answer page

http://pzphotosans121-k.blogspot.com/

Hmm ... the "used in wagon manufacture" may suggest that 694 is
used for drilling the sockets into a wagon wheel hub to accept the
spokes. Perhaps even it might have something to cut the socket properly
rectangular.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
The latest set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

692. Top view of an old soda-acid fire extinguisher
695. Oil pump impeller

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

"R.H." wrote: 695. Gerotor pump, maybe Leo can tell us a little more
about it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I know a lot more about it now than I did when I sent it to Rob. I had not
heard of a Gerotor pump before. Nor a "hypozykloidal" pump (posted by Nick
Muller) either. Is hypozykloidal German for hypocycloidal?

I told Rob (TIC) it was a cylinder for a Wankel revolver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Is hypozykloidal German for hypocycloidal?

Yes, thats what I meant.
But I was wrong!
It is a trochoid and those pumps are known as "Eaton pumps".

HTH,
Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Nick Müller wrote:

It is a trochoid and those pumps are known as "Eaton pumps".

After having posted that answer and rethinking, I wouldn't like to bet
my head about the "trochoid". It might be a hypocycloid.
But the eaton pump still stands. (until I am corrected :-))

BTW:
The trochoid is known from the Wankel engine.

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

Nick Müller wrote:

It is a trochoid and those pumps are known as "Eaton pumps".

After having posted that answer and rethinking, I wouldn't like to bet
my head about the "trochoid". It might be a hypocycloid.

The trochoid is known from the Wankel engine.

According to the definitions at mathworld.wolfram.com, "trochoid"
is the generic term for the path traced by a point attached to a
circle that rolls along a straight line; trochoids are classified
as cycloids, curtate cycloids, or prolate cycloids, depending on
whether the point is on, inside, or outside the circle. So it
doesn't apply either to this pump or to the Wankel engine, unless
there are alternate definitions out there.

From the same source, the generic term for the path traced by a point
attached to a circle that rolls along *the inside of another circle*
is a "hypotrochoid"; and if the point is on the rolling circle, it is
a "hypocycloid". So if we consider the points on the rotor to touch
the cylinder it rolls inside, then they follow a hypocycloidal path;
if we consider them as not quite touching, it's just hypotrochoidal.

The rotor itself might have a form like a hypocycloid, but since its
concave surface doesn't touch anything, there's no requirement for it
to have an exact shape.

(By the way, if the rolling circle rolls along the *outside* of another
circle, you get an "epitrochoid", and if the point is on the rolling
circle, it's specifically an "epicycloid". And the generic term that
includes all these curves, which I'd never seen before, is "roulette".)
--
Mark Brader | "What a strange field. Studying beings instead of mathematics.
Toronto | Could lead to recursive problems in logic."
| -- Robert L. Forward (The Flight of the Dragonfly)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to R.H. :
Four of the six have been answered correctly, I don't know what the other
two a

[ ... ]

693. Haven't been able to verify what this is.

694. Same as 693.

[ ... ]

A couple new photos and a few links can be found on the answer page

http://pzphotosans121-k.blogspot.com/

Hmm ... the "used in wagon manufacture" may suggest that 694 is
used for drilling the sockets into a wagon wheel hub to accept the
spokes. Perhaps even it might have something to cut the socket properly
rectangular.

It is definitely a drill assembly of some sort.
there are 4 auger bits for it hanging vertically at t he top of the wall
right behind it.

There are also a number of 'T-handle' drills, hung horizontally around
and below it.

Drilling a wheel hub for spokes seems likely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

Mark Brader writes:
The rotor itself might have a form like a hypocycloid, but since its
concave surface doesn't touch anything, there's no requirement for it
to have an exact shape.

Of course this applies to the pump, but not to the Wankel engine, whose
rotor is convex. To tell the truth, I forgot about that when posting.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Don't let it drive you crazy...
| Leave the driving to us!" --Wayne & Shuster
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Mark Brader writes:
The rotor itself might have a form like a hypocycloid, but since its
concave surface doesn't touch anything, there's no requirement for it
to have an exact shape.

Of course this applies to the pump, but not to the Wankel engine, whose
rotor is convex. To tell the truth, I forgot about that when posting.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Don't let it drive you crazy...
| Leave the driving to us!" --Wayne & Shuster

For what it is worth, ;~) The pump center piece spins and is driven by a
rotating shaft. Notice the key slot to prevent slipping. The outer ring
is driven by the inner piece in a path similar to the rotor in the Wankle
except that it spins inside a circle instead of an oval shaped cylinder.
The outer side of the outer ring moves the liquid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Mark Brader wrote:

The rotor itself might have a form like a hypocycloid,

The rotor or inner "triangle" _is_ a hypotrochoid, the outer part _is_ a
epitrochoid.

... but since its concave surface doesn't touch anything, there's no
requirement for it to have an exact shape.

It doesn't touch anything? There are no seals? Guess you have to rethink
that.

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

. com...

Mark Brader writes:
The rotor itself might have a form like a hypocycloid, but since its
concave surface doesn't touch anything, there's no requirement for it
to have an exact shape.

Of course this applies to the pump, but not to the Wankel engine, whose
rotor is convex. To tell the truth, I forgot about that when posting.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Don't let it drive you crazy...
| Leave the driving to us!" --Wayne & Shuster

For what it is worth, ;~) The pump center piece spins and is driven by a
rotating shaft. Notice the key slot to prevent slipping. The outer ring
is driven by the inner piece in a path similar to the rotor in the Wankle
except that it spins inside a circle instead of an oval shaped cylinder.
The outer side of the outer ring moves the liquid.

Um . . . Leon, beg to differ with your last sentence. The liquid is not
moved by the outer side of the outer piece. It is pumped by ports opening
into the "open" area of the gearset. Looking @ the picture, one tooth is
firmly meshed with the outer ring, with it's opposite firmly against the
"dwell" on the outer ring. As the inner piece rotates, it is constantly
"opening" and "closing" the volume of space on the two sides. The "opening"
part sucks the fluid in through a port on the end of the housing, then the
"closing" volume area pumps the fluid out through a similar port in the end
of the housing.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
The rotor itself might have a form like a hypocycloid, but since its
concave surface doesn't touch anything, there's no requirement for it
to have an exact shape.

Of course this applies to the pump, but not to the Wankel engine...

Ah, never mind, I was just totally wrong there.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
-- John Hollingsworth