Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default Semi OT - Zen - Wood - Peace

Obviously, I'm not very busy today. And this will ramble a bit.
Feel free to pass on this.

ZEN - From WordNet (r) 2.0 (wn)
Zen n snip 2: a Buddhist doctrine that enlightenment can be attained
through direct intuitive insight [syn: {Zen Buddhism}]

I suppose you could say some of my woodworking (as well as other
aspects of life and creativity come to me thru Zen). A couple of days
ago I posted a Rounding Question at news:rec.crafts.woodworking on
roughing square stock in a lathe using a hand power planer, if anyone
had ever done it, and the results. Everyone though I was completely
bonkers for even thinking of it, so went ahead and tried it. Worked
like a champ, with the exception of the fact that the planer took the
wood down really, really, fast. Loads of fun tho. Next time I think
I'll make some sort of jig to only allow the planer to go down so far.

WOOD - From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
(gcide)
Wood \Wood\, v. i. To grow mad; to act like a madman; to mad. --Chaucer.
[1913 Webster]

Well, that's what was in the dictionary, and I've often enough been
accused of bing nuts. LMAO

PEACE - From WordNet (r) 2.0 (wn)
peace n snip 3: the absence of mental stress or anxiety [syn:
{peacefulness}, {peace of mind}, {repose}, {serenity}, {heartsease},
{ataraxis}] snip

What can I say? Wood in the right perspective brings absence of
stress - peace. One example of this is toilet paper - lack of toilet
paper, which is derived from wood, can cause extreme stress. So,
anytime the local store has 24 packs on sale, I usually get one. And,
yes a 24 pack, not one of those "equivalent" to type. With the
equivalent type I don't trust the thickness and wind up using move
layers and that winds up being more expensive then just using the
regular type in the first place. Noting relieves stress like knowing
you've got more toilet paper if the roll you're using runs out. At
present I have about 100 rolls, 3 new packs of 24 each, and two opened.
And, when you open a pack, you can then stack the unused rolls in
pyramids, towers, etc., when is always handy in case you run out of
reading material, and next time you use a roll, you wind up stacking
them in an entirely different design.

Picked up one of the flat-rate boxes at the post office, figuring
to mail some stuff I've made. Well, the box inside size is 11" X 8 1/2"
X 5 1/2". Wouldn't cha know it? My stull measures 11+" X 7 1/2" X 7
1/2". Aarrgh. Ah ha you say, major design change. Not really, a bit
of Zen, and changed the design to approx 10 7/8" X 7 1/2" X 5 3/8". No
prob.

Zen - Wood - Peace. Life is basically good.

JOAT
Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"J T" snip
I suppose you could say some of my woodworking (as well as other
aspects of life and creativity come to me thru Zen). A couple of days
ago I posted a Rounding Question at news:rec.crafts.woodworking on
roughing square stock in a lathe using a hand power planer,

rec.crafts.woodturning

I suppose any tool with a sharp blade will remove wood. Some more rapidly
than others.
Maybe next time you could try a chainsaw and let us know.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

are you the guy who actually read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

bent wrote:
are you the guy who actually read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?

I read it in preparation for an extended motorcycling tour of the
western Americas. My plan was to take a BMW 1150GS from somewhere in
Alaska down into Chile. Instead I moved to Colorado and skied for a
few years. Probably a good thing, for at the time I'd likely have
killed myself on that bike. I'd still like to do it someday though.

JP
"Investment Biker" was a little better.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I would have killed myself if I had to finish that book

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I read it intending a similar trip and ended up going east in a car. No
insult to the OP.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I also had a box set of a reading of the book on cassettes. Giddy.