Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CXVIII

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

648: Looks like an igniter for explosives
685: Space suit (connectors in the chest area)
686: the stylus like shaped thing looks like a temperature sensor (seen
in fridges)

698: Another visit to the space museum?

Nick

--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
azotic

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684 is a blasting machine. 685 is a astronauts space suit.

Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"azotic" wrote in message
newsIThg.28490$QP4.4408@fed1read12...

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684 is a blasting machine. 685 is a astronauts space suit.

684 Yup.
685 Yup.
686 Looks like a sensor bulb for an indoor/outdoor thermometer.
687 Not sure, but it reminds me of a machine I've seen advertised for
rolling newspapers into "logs" for the fireplace.
688 Packing table(on label)? Maybe something to do with the old
"excelsior" packing(the packing made from curly wood shavings). 2nd guess .
something to separate and hold the lines on a parachute(again surmised from
the "packing table" reference).
689 Some type of aircraft control panel. I'm guessing for a helicopter.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Norman D. Crow" writes:

689 Some type of aircraft control panel. I'm guessing for a helicopter.

I initially thought that too, but there aren't suit controls on a helo.
More likely a high-altitude MACH+ jet (X-1? U-2? SR71?)

scott

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Norman D. Crow" writes:

689 Some type of aircraft control panel. I'm guessing for a helicopter.

I initially thought that too, but there aren't suit controls on a helo.
More likely a high-altitude MACH+ jet (X-1? U-2? SR71?)

nope. A spacecraft.
give-aways (from switch labels):
3-axis autopilot -- "roll", "pitch", "yaw".
RCS -- that's the maneuvering thrusters
then, at the bottom of the console are 'suit flow' thingies.
*TWO* of them.

So, we've got a two-man spacecraft, with labelling in English. There are
precisely _two_ vehicles that fit in that classification -- A Gemini capsule,
and a LEM. My money says Gemini. Especially, since I found a picture of the
LEM interior (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/c/c2/Ksc12.jpg),
and _that_ doesn't match. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Norman D. Crow" writes:

[...]

Well, look on the bright side . . at least I was in the right church, just
didn't sit in the proper pew.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Puff Griffis

684: Explosives plunger style trigger
685: Looks like a space suit
686: Remote thermostat sensor
687:News paper fire log roller
688: Egg crate folder
689: Control panel for a small aircraft

"R.H." wrote in message .. .
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:26:36 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hey Rob,

Neat stuff, as usual !!

My guesses = = = =

684 - Generator = for detonators on explosive charges

685 - Space suit umbilical connection ports

686 - Humidistat = used to control relative humidity

687 - Newspaper roller = rolls newspaper into "fireplace logs"

688 - Hmmmmm... dunno.. but looks like it may be for something like
broom making. Fibres laid on it get "squished" into smaller bundles.

689 - Gotta go with Nick. Looks like a panel for high altitude flight
control in something other than the average Cessna 150.

Take care.

Keep up the good work.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684- classic cartoon dynamite setter-offer!

685- space suit

686- a temperature sensor, but for what?

687- rolls paper (newspaper) into fireplace logs

688- used for forming cardboard into some kind of container/holder?

689- aircraft control panel, I don't think "PROP" in this case stands
for propeller, and the "suit flow" controls make me think high-altitude
ops. U2 control panel?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684- classic cartoon dynamite setter-offer!

685- space suit

686- a temperature sensor, but for what?

687- rolls paper (newspaper) into fireplace logs

688- used for forming cardboard into some kind of container/holder?

689- aircraft control panel, I don't think "PROP" in this case stands
for propeller, and the "suit flow" controls make me think high-altitude
ops. U2 control panel?

Dave

Gotta amend 689, I see "ORB RATE" on the 'PLATFORM' control, so perhaps
a mercury or gemeni capsule?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

writes:

wrote:
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684- classic cartoon dynamite setter-offer!

685- space suit

686- a temperature sensor, but for what?

687- rolls paper (newspaper) into fireplace logs

688- used for forming cardboard into some kind of container/holder?

689- aircraft control panel, I don't think "PROP" in this case stands
for propeller, and the "suit flow" controls make me think high-altitude
ops. U2 control panel?

Dave

Gotta amend 689, I see "ORB RATE" on the 'PLATFORM' control, so perhaps
a mercury or gemeni capsule?

Yeah, RCS is reaction control system (aka maneuvering thrusters).

scott
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The entity posted thusly:

wrote:
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684- classic cartoon dynamite setter-offer!

685- space suit

686- a temperature sensor, but for what?

687- rolls paper (newspaper) into fireplace logs

688- used for forming cardboard into some kind of container/holder?

689- aircraft control panel, I don't think "PROP" in this case stands
for propeller, and the "suit flow" controls make me think high-altitude
ops. U2 control panel?

Dave

Gotta amend 689, I see "ORB RATE" on the 'PLATFORM' control, so perhaps
a mercury or gemeni capsule?

Gemini, I would think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Paul K. Dickman

686 is probably part of the controls for a steam boiler.
Some low pressure steam heating boilers use a vaporstat to maintain the
pressure in an optimal range. Some of these use an outside sensor to adjust
the range when the exterior temperature drops.

Paul K. Dickman

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

#684 Electrical generator used to detonate explosives.
#685 Pressure suit.
#686 Some form of thermometer?
#687 Makes fireplace logs from newspaper.
#688 ?
#689 Center console on a high-altitude aircraft (U-2 or SR-71?)
(possibly related to the pressure suit in #685).

scott
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

684 - Electric dynamite detonator
685 - Space Suit
686 - Fire alarm (or extinguisher system) sensor?
689 - Space capsule control panel (nice!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Al A.

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

is 689 part of a LEM control panel, perhaps?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jonathan Wilson

684. Dynamite plunger
685. Space suit
689. Control panel. Probobly airplane, mention of "suit" suggests something
fairly high altitude.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

684) Blasting detonator. The T-handle is connected to a rack gear
which turns a generator when pressed down firmly. The terminals
(under the thumbscrews) connect to wires leading off to the
electrically-fired blasting cap, which then triggers the
dynamite.

685) This looks like a partial view of a NASA space suit. If it
had fewer plumbing connections, and did not have that multi-pin
electrical connector (at a guess 96 pins), I might consider it
to be either a hazmat "bunny" suit, or perhaps a high-G suit for
military jet pilots -- those are inflated around the lower and
middle body to keep blood from pooling there during high-G
maneuvers, and then deflated for comfort when the high G forces
go away.

686) Hmm -- if the "wire" is quite stiff, I would consider it to be
a temperature probe, as part of a fire detection system as they
were made prior to smoke detectors. In that case, the "wire"
would be very stiff, and in reality a capillary tube connection
the expansion bulb on the end to a switch actuator inside the
main housing.

There may even be a spray head in that rather poor photo of the
box.

687) This appears to be made to wind up newspapers prior to using
them as "logs" in the fireplace.

688) Perhaps for slicing multiple fish prior to canning operations?

Otherwise, I have no guess.

689) Center console for a two-seater military aircraft. Possibly
Navy, given the color for the panels.

It seems to be a propeller driven aircraft, based on the "prop
motor valve" cluster of switches.

It is equipped with an "autopilot", based on the "Attitude
Control" panel, and in the rotary switch above that with in the
"Platform" section the "cage" position is for the set of gyros
used to measure the aircraft's orientation.

All of the switches on the "Prop Motor Valve" panel as well as
one on the "Att Ctrl Pwr" panel below it are of the kind used
for safety-critical operations, where you have to pull out on
the handles to unlock them so you can switch to the other
position(s). These are common on arming switchs for weapons
systems among other purposes.

The indicator lights look like those from the early 1950s
through perhaps the late 1960s at a guess.

The "Suit flow" indicator at the bottom suggests that it is
capable of serious G forces from maneuvering, as related to an
earlier answer above.

I have not seen enough aircraft control panels to really be sure
what aircraft it really is, but it is at least a two-seater,
based on the shape as a center console.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684 - Blasting Generator

685 - Space suit connection ports

686 - Temperature sensor ?

687 - Paper roller for a fireplace

688 - Not a clue

689 - Gemini Center control pedestal

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:26:36 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

684: Detonator for mine explosives

685: Front of space suit.

686: Unknown

687: Newspaper log roller

688: Maybe a tool for either making or repairing egg cartons

689: Spacecraft control panel. Given the radar and switch styles, most
likely from the Apollo era

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

684. Dynamite generator
686. Humidistat, maybe?
687. Stogie roller.
689. Console in an airplane

From RCM

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 04:35:49 +0000, Gary Brady wrote:

687. Stogie roller.

Big, BIG Bambu! %-}

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gunner

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:34:34 GMT, "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie"
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 04:35:49 +0000, Gary Brady wrote:

687. Stogie roller.

Big, BIG Bambu! %-}

Cheers!
Rich

Frat house sized spliff.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 04:35:49 +0000, Gary Brady wrote:

687. Stogie roller.

Big, BIG Bambu! %-}

Cheers!
Rich

Frat house sized spliff.

Gunner

"Whoa, that's the biggest joint I've ever seen!"
"Aah, it's not real, it's just full of a bunch of my old socks and stuff."
"Well, let's try it anyway - ya never know!"

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Finally, one I know -- 687

684: Ye Olde Explosive Detonator. I think the text starts with
"Reliable"... I would hope so. I'd guess depressing or pulling
up on the handle somehow charges a capacitor, and when you hit bottom it
discharges it through the screw terminals.

685: Sow-milking apparatus.

686: Possibly a humidity alarm

687: Device for rolling newspapers into ersatz fireplace logs

688: For pressing egg cartons

689: Inside of a Gemini capsule.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Finally, one I know -- 687

684: Ye Olde Explosive Detonator. I think the text starts with
"Reliable"... I would hope so. I'd guess depressing or pulling
up on the handle somehow charges a capacitor, and when you hit bottom
it
discharges it through the screw terminals.

Heh! There be a "dynamo" in there... a high-voltage generator turned by a
rack and pinion arrangement -- sort of like the old ringer generators on
'crank' phones.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Finally, one I know -- 687

684: Ye Olde Explosive Detonator. I think the text starts with
"Reliable"... I would hope so. I'd guess depressing or pulling
up on the handle somehow charges a capacitor, and when you hit bottom
it
discharges it through the screw terminals.

Heh! There be a "dynamo" in there... a high-voltage generator turned by a
rack and pinion arrangement -- sort of like the old ringer generators on
'crank' phones.

Damn! I'm gonna have to learn to read the thread before I post
willy-nilly: I just guessed this very thing just a few minutes ago. )-;

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

news
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Finally, one I know -- 687

684: Ye Olde Explosive Detonator. I think the text starts with
"Reliable"... I would hope so. I'd guess depressing or pulling
up on the handle somehow charges a capacitor, and when you hit

bottom
it
discharges it through the screw terminals.

Heh! There be a "dynamo" in there... a high-voltage generator turned by

rack and pinion arrangement -- sort of like the old ringer generators on
'crank' phones.

Damn! I'm gonna have to learn to read the thread before I post
willy-nilly: I just guessed this very thing just a few minutes ago. )-;

Thanks!
Rich

If anyone is interested, photos of the inside of the blasting machine can be
seen at the site below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RELIABLE...cmdZVi ewItem

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gerard Schildberger

| R.H. wrote:
| Rich Grise wrote:
| Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
| Matthew Russotto wrote:
| R.H. wrote:
|A new set of photos has just been posted:
|http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
| Finally, one I know -- 687
| 684: Ye Olde Explosive Detonator. I think the text starts with
| "Reliable"... I would hope so. I'd guess depressing or pulling
| up on the handle somehow charges a capacitor, and when you hit
| bottom it discharges it through the screw terminals.
| Heh! There be a "dynamo" in there... a high-voltage generator turned by a
| rack and pinion arrangement -- sort of like the old ringer generators on
| 'crank' phones.
| Damn! I'm gonna have to learn to read the thread before I post
| willy-nilly: I just guessed this very thing just a few minutes ago. )-;
| If anyone is interested, photos of the inside of the blasting machine can be
| seen at the site below:
| http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RELIABLE...cmdZVi ewItem

Yuppers, I have one just like it, but it much better condition. Heavy
sucker, it is. ___________________________________________Gerard S.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:48:55 -0500, Matthew Russotto wrote:

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Finally, one I know -- 687

684: Ye Olde Explosive Detonator. I think the text starts with
"Reliable"... I would hope so. I'd guess depressing or pulling
up on the handle somehow charges a capacitor, and when you hit bottom it
discharges it through the screw terminals.

I betcha those suckers had a dynamo in them, and the plunger plunged a
rack, and the pinion gear coupled to the dynamo.

I wonder if anyone has one to hack?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

They've all been answered correctly this week:

684. Blasting machine

685. Space suit

686. Temperature sensor

687. Newspaper log roller

688. Egg carton former

689. Gemini control panel

One more puzzle for this set:

The gloves for Armstrong's Gemini space suit had a feature that I've never
seen in another pair, what was it that made them unique?

New photos and several links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosans120hn.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:15:42 +0000, R.H. wrote:

One more puzzle for this set:

The gloves for Armstrong's Gemini space suit had a feature that I've never
seen in another pair, what was it that made them unique?

Possible spoiler?

ps

ps

ps

ps

ps

ps

ps
space news from Sep 20, 1993 AW&ST [presumably, "Aviation Week & Space
Technology"]

Henry Spencer summaries

Letter from Karl Henize of JSC, commenting on an AW&ST report of Neil
Armstrong's Gemini glove still being in orbit and still being tracked.
Wrong in three ways. First, the lost glove happened on Gemini 4, while
Armstrong flew on Gemini 8. Second, such a relatively large and light
object, in the fairly low orbit the Geminis used, would have reentered
within a year. And third, the Gemini 4 glove was never tracked well enough
to appear in the tracking catalog.
http://www.islandone.org/SpencerAvLe...ek-930920.html

Don'tcha just LOVE Google? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

That isn't what I was looking for, there was something extra on them,
something common but not normally found on gloves.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bill B

R.H. wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

How about the "famous" Gemini excrement glove?

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

That isn't what I was looking for, there was something extra on them,
something common but not normally found on gloves.

Rob

How about the "famous" Gemini excrement glove?

LOL, not exactly sure what that means but I'm positive it's not what I had
in mind. The gloves were designed and made with something functional added
to them, to be used by Armstrong in some of his work.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

A new set of photos has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

684: Detonator ala Wile E. Coyote.

685: Space Suit

686: Temperature monitor?

687: For rolling fireplace logs from newspapers. 22.5" would accomodate
typical press cutoffs...

688: ???

689: Airplane control panel

What have the rest guessed?